Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the economy caught up with my wallet. Power is good, but milage is better for me... at least right now. What is the best MILAGE chip that I can buy, and what is the best for the money. Is it neccesary to run gauges on a milage chip? I just drove to MN and back, and averaged about 18 on the two lane, and 15.5 on the interstate @ 72 mph. Not that good at all for running completely empty. I know I have bigger tires, but really? What about all the guys that told me I would get 20-22 before I bought this thing? Where you at now?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
Diablo preditor on tow was the best milage i ever seen when my truck was stock.
picked me up almost three MPG

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
5,536 Posts
my superchip gives me 3mpg on performance mode. :thumbsup:

·
06 Cummins
1,620 Posts
I'm not running a programmer, I get 19.2 running 70-75 on the interstates empty. I get similar mileage to what you are getting towing my 32'TT. All my fuel mileage has been hand calculated mileage. I have taller/bigger tires than you do, they have not seemed to affect my mileage??? Interesting how all these trucks get so much different mileage, eh?

From what I've seen, many running the Smarty Jr are having nice fuel mileage increases. I had a Quadzilla Standard for a while, lost fuel mileage, while the power addition was nice, EGT's were not to my likeing either, took it off.

CD

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Your going to get a different answer from almost everyone who posts. Every truck and driver is so different. Most the tuners out there if you can keep your foot out of the throttle will get you some mileage
id just find a product that fits your price range and needs and go for it

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
my truck only gets at best 15.7 mph and that is staying under 2k rpm,it has 285 tires and 3.73 gears, and it is bone stock, i'm also looking for mph, i was considering the edge juice because it comes with the gauges anybody got any experience with these, i'm not looking to race it just more mpg.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,640 Posts
I wasn't impressed with the Juice. I got no mileage gains.
With a strong tune on my Smarty (TNT SW7, TQ3, TM2, RP2) I picked up 2mpg city.

·
Registered
161 Posts
with the edge juice on 5 I have picked up 2mpg, driving REALLY conservatively.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
hiwayman ....what gears do you have?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
373 gears, auto trans, 5'' tbe, stock air and stock everything else

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not running a programmer, I get 19.2 running 70-75 on the interstates empty. I get similar mileage to what you are getting towing my 32'TT. All my fuel mileage has been hand calculated mileage. I have taller/bigger tires than you do, they have not seemed to affect my mileage??? Interesting how all these trucks get so much different mileage, eh?

From what I've seen, many running the Smarty Jr are having nice fuel mileage increases. I had a Quadzilla Standard for a while, lost fuel mileage, while the power addition was nice, EGT's were not to my likeing either, took it off.

CD
I gained 4 MPG hand calculated with a Smarty Jr, SW3, tm4,Tq2 stacked with a mileage max. 3.73 gears, stock tires, cruse set @ 70MPH. The Edge was with the truck when I bought it, so I though wtf, why not !!

Syntethic engine oil helps too.

IndianFrank

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
so what does the MM do that the smarty jr does not?

just wondering bc that sounds like a good gain 4 mpg im in.......

·
Registered
119 Posts
I must have a freak truck or the fact that I drive like a grandpa most of the time. But my best in the city has been 18.5mpg and my best highway is 24mpg. My city I calculate on every fill up and I fluctuate a bit. I tend to run in the 15 to 18mpg area with the majority of my tank fill ups being in the 16 to 17mpg range.

I'm not running huge tires like most guys and when I'm on the highway I set the cruise control when I can.

I've just done a muffler delete and custom intake and filter, so I'm interested to see what kind of mpg gains I'll get. Don't really care about more power or torque(truck has plenty) just after the same things as you and that's mpg's.

·
Registered
68 Posts
so what does the MM do that the smarty jr does not?

just wondering bc that sounds like a good gain 4 mpg im in.......
Tex,

IF I have it right, :confused013: the MM adds some pressure, & timing. i read somewhere on this forum that 2 cycle oil retards timing, so I think the MM makes up for that. In any event, I would not tow anything with my timing advanced this far. Prossibly go with SW2 also, dependent upon what I`m draggin.

IndianFrank

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Diablo Predator gave my 06 the best mileage 4-5 mpg over stock (hand calculated) on the 100hp "performance" setting. The Smarty on SW7 all default runs about 2 mpg's better than stock. The Quadzilla XZT that I ran on the truck for 2 years was good for 1.5-2 mpg's over stock. The Predator( from what my mechanic told me) gets such good mileage from adding a whole lot of fuel pressure (too much). I took it off and went with the Smarty due to the irregular idle and increased engine noise/rattle that I just didn't trust. I can honestly say that the Predator would flat out leave my Smarty in power/mileage but at what cost? Melted pistons and ruined injectors? No thanks. I feel the Smarty is a way safer programmer overall for the 04.5-07's.

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,640 Posts
That all sounds good, but you never once mentioned what your rail pressure gauge told you.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
So the economy caught up with my wallet. Power is good, but milage is better for me... at least right now. What is the best MILAGE chip that I can buy, and what is the best for the money. Is it neccesary to run gauges on a milage chip? I just drove to MN and back, and averaged about 18 on the two lane, and 15.5 on the interstate @ 72 mph. Not that good at all for running completely empty. I know I have bigger tires, but really? What about all the guys that told me I would get 20-22 before I bought this thing? Where you at now?
The 5.9 gets the best mileage under 2000rpms. That's where I run mine 99% of the time which in my truck is 62-63mph. I have seen 23-25mph under the right conditions(flat ground wind at my back). I will say though that I run Opti-Lube fuel and oil additives which give me at least 2mpg. This in a truck that weighs almost 7500lbs. You should get better mileage with your lighter truck.

As to mileage programmers, I've heard good things about the Edge Mileage Master, the Hypertech Max Energy and the Painless Performance Striker. All claim 3-6mpg more. I'll get one of them soon and post results.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I must have a freak truck or the fact that I drive like a grandpa most of the time. But my best in the city has been 18.5mpg and my best highway is 24mpg. My city I calculate on every fill up and I fluctuate a bit. I tend to run in the 15 to 18mpg area with the majority of my tank fill ups being in the 16 to 17mpg range.

I'm not running huge tires like most guys and when I'm on the highway I set the cruise control when I can.

I've just done a muffler delete and custom intake and filter, so I'm interested to see what kind of mpg gains I'll get. Don't really care about more power or torque(truck has plenty) just after the same things as you and that's mpg's.
No, you don't have a freak truck you're just at higher elevation than most of the U.S. It's harder for our trucks to breath at this elevation.

But a cat delete would help and a good mileage programmer.

Try a smarty or a diablo sport predator, both those are good for mileage.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts