Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
Track bars and such won’t do much justice on your truck. It might look pretty cool but it’s really not necessary because with your lift you will not encounter bump steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're recommending up to 4" of lift without geometry correction on a truck with angled (forward and inward) lower coil seats while stating you don't need a track bar when lifting. This is downright dangerous information to be giving people. 4" of lift will cause a significant axle shift toward the driver's side - it's not about bump-steer; it's about thrust angle, coil pressures, tire clearance, and suspension centering to the chassis after the modification.

Thuren and Carli can't miss. I truly believe that Thuren is the better choice for a RAM/Dodge, that's their MO. Like others have said, Carli is great but you're paying a premium for the name, they don't do a single thing better or different for the extra money over the Thuren. Bigger company, more overhead, more money spent on advertising, equals higher prices, it's that simple. That said, I don't fault anyone for choosing Carli, it's great stuff.

Thuren and Carli can't miss. I truly believe that Thuren is the better choice for a RAM/Dodge, that's their MO. Like others have said, Carli is great but you're paying a premium for the name, they don't do a single thing better or different for the extra money over the Thuren. Bigger company, more overhead, more money spent on advertising, equals higher prices, it's that simple. That said, I don't fault anyone for choosing Carli, it's great stuff.
Simply not true. We started in Ram and continue to dedicate ourselves to the platform. We offer for Ford and Jeep no different than Thuren offers for Toyota, Jeep and GM trucks. We increased our building size, as did they. I believe our and their HQ are the same size. Neither of us are 5-man shops anymore. We don't spend, nor do any advertising - this is on retailers (CJC's awesome YouTube channel, as an example) but this is out of their pocket, not ours.

Take a look at the parts we offer for the new Ram platforms and you'll find we offers kits specifically tuned to the 14+ coil spring trucks and air-ride trucks in two lift heights, the 13+ Ram 3500 leaf-spring and air-assist AND Power Wagon Specific kits. All these have custom King or Fox Shocks (986 part number Fox shocks indicating we've completed the proprietary shock program with Fox, not using ANY oem Foxes). No one has the commitment to this platform to match Carli's.

Been fabricating trucks for over 3 decades. Carli and Thuren is nothing but China junk steel. You can get away with the junk on smaller rigs but when lifting a truck with weight you need to do your homework.
The research and development that has gone into ram has been a process of thousands of hours.

Been fabricating trucks for over 3 decades. Carli and Thuren is nothing but China junk steel. You can get away with the junk on smaller rigs but when lifting a truck with weight you need to do your homework.
The research and development that has gone into ram has been a process of thousands of hours.
I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how baseless. Regardless, there's ZERO Chinese Steel in our facility. We've done Italian steel but that's the only time we've gone outside USA to source.

I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how baseless. Regardless, there's ZERO Chinese Steel in our facility. We've done Italian steel but that's the only time we've gone outside USA to source.
The “China junk “ was just a quote the quality of steel has declined world wide ……. the USA is the worst for importing junk steel for our own products. …… my point being show me a Cummins diesel that has been lifted on these kits for 10 years that are not spring sagging tire eating nightmares

The “China junk “ was just a quote the quality of steel has declined world wide ……. the USA is the worst for importing junk steel for our own products. …… my point being show me a Cummins diesel that has been lifted on these kits for 10 years that are not spring sagging tire eating nightmares
I have a 2011 Super Duty in the shop now that's had our Kit on it since it was new - No sagging or tire eating. The paint is a nightmare but that's part for the course on the life the truck has had. I don't have anything here that's a Cummins with a 10-year old kit but it's not uncommon we get them through our shop needing rebuild parts and they're structurally fine. Aesthetically, those that have lived hard lives, show it but that's to be expected.

Bwilkerson: 10 years with original Thuren 3” soft ride coils and the rest of everything he sells and Carli hard parts. Zero sag and this truck has thousands of hard off roading miles and towing miles. Literally nothing on my truck is eating tires or driving/towing poorly. Take a step back and stop misinforming people about Thuren or Carli suspension

One of our biggest sellers is going to be Thuren. Carli is second. The reason why Thuren is first is because the price is cheaper then Carli and they use less parts to make their kits work which is awesome!

In order to do it properly you will need front springs, front shocks and an adjustable track bar. However you can get away without a track bar but you will want to updgrade sometime in the future. You will get a buttery smooth ride and you will be super impressed! I run thuren on my personal truck and absolutely love it.

Feel free to holler at me or the page anytime if you have any questions as we are all happy to help.

Clayton
The reason that Thuren offers a cheaper level is that they don’t use tuned Fox shocks, and their track bar uses a polymer joint on the frame side. Still super solid stuff, but I’d favor the Carli since they use tuned, unique part number shocks and a slightly significantly quality frame side joint on the track bar. Those little things make a big difference!

Well, not true on Thuren Fox’s. Not going to get into a pissing match here either. Thuren Fox’s are tuned by Fox for Thuren coils per Thuren specs. As for the track bar, Thuren’s delrin joint is plenty strong and long lasting and simple. Sometimes simple is better. Thuren is also priced better and his parts don’t go through many changes over the years because they just work. Carli makes quality parts as well. It’s a personal choice. But just wanted to clarify the Fox shock statement.

I honestly recently ordered a Thuren set up, Carli is awesome, and i stole some knowledge from @OCVeloMan because you would be an idiot not to listen to him. The man knows his stuff. I probably would've had a much harder decision on Thuren VS Carli if Carli had offered the level in a height i wanted, but being that they didn't that kinda sealed the deal with me. I don't think anyone with any actual knowledge on the products, or durability of the either Thuren or Carli could argue with their quality control. There is a reason they are the 2 most widely respected suspension companies for our trucks and many many more. But my parts should be coming in soon, bought at DDP from the dude himself, great guy. Although one of these days i ought to BS with some of the others, at this point in time i just need to find an excuse to get to Texas and share some whiskey with @Dude_57

Well, not true on Thuren Fox’s. Not going to get into a pissing match here either. Thuren Fox’s are tuned by Fox for Thuren coils per Thuren specs. As for the track bar, Thuren’s delrin joint is plenty strong and long lasting and simple. Sometimes simple is better. Thuren is also priced better and his parts don’t go through many changes over the years because they just work. Carli makes quality parts as well. It’s a personal choice. But just wanted to clarify the Fox shock statement.
I’m no expert, but Thuren’s Fox shocks use the same part number on the bottom seal as the off the shelf shocks from Fox for Ram trucks, while Carli’s use a completely unique part number to signify a different tune from the Fox factory.

That said they still ride fine, but from what I understand based on the part numbers I think Carli is the only company with unique part number Fox 2.0s for these trucks!

Keep in mind I have Thuren on my 2nd gen and Carli on my third gen so I’m not exactly biased!

I get what your saying, but custom part numbers does not dictate how the shock is made for Thuren. I know your trucks and they are saweeeet! Just don’t want misinformation going out there to the uneducated.

I get what your saying, but custom part numbers does not dictate how the shock is made for Thuren. I know your trucks and they are saweeeet! Just don’t want misinformation going out there to the uneducated.

By no means am I trying to misinform, but last I checked nobody is taking standard part number Fox shocks, opening them, re-valving them, and then shipping them out again? There is no way a shock would have custom tuning from the Fox factory without a unique part number to distinguish that. I think it’s false to say that the shocks are custom tuned.

Any 2.0 shock from Fox that starts with a 986 indicates a custom spec tune and valving. If it doesn’t have a 986 designation, then it isn’t a custom tune no matter what sticker is on the outside. I just did some digging and it looks like Cognito and Synergy also have 986 designations like Carli, which means they too have custom tuning different from the standard 985 part number non-tuned shock.

I have asked Thuren about this. Waiting a reply. I will eat crow, to your liking, if they are off the shelf Fox’s not tuned for his coils. Fair enough?

I have asked Thuren about this. Waiting a reply. I will eat crow, to your liking, if they are off the shelf Fox’s not tuned for his coils. Fair enough?

It seems like you’re taking this as a personal attack, but I’m literally just reading part numbers and trying to research as a customer! Remember that at no point am I disrespecting you or Thuren in this. Curious to see what the answer is though!

By all means this is not personal. Just want to confirm myself as that is what we advertise and so does Thuren as "custom developed progressive valving" shocks. I don't think Don has been lying all these years. But, to state that "they don't use tuned Fox shocks" as the reason for cheaper level kits may not be correct and people believe what they read here. This is a large group, so I just want to make sure, as you do, to state facts.

It's not to anyone's liking...

The custom shock project with FOX is a NIGHTMARE. Our 986 part numbers are what signify a custom-spec tune/blue-printed shock through Foxes custom shock program. I submitted for Ford Gas and Ram Air-Ride Specs March of 2020 and I'm STILL awaiting the OK to order these shocks 1.5 years later. That's business-killing delay, right there.

King's easy - send over the shock spec and attach the valving - BOOM, custom shocks.

Fox, on the other hand, WILL NOT SPEC custom valving in their OEM shock line - period. No one knows this better than me; the guy who's hairline reflects his 10-year frustrations with Fox. I don't say this to be combative - I say this to drop knowledge as a person with in depth dealings with King and Fox's custom shock programs. Carli and Cognito are really the only players that have a catalog of custom tuned shocks with Fox.

If their OEM valving lines up with what Don likes to see out of a shock with his springs, that's likely what he's referring to unless, like Andrew said, he's opening and revaling ever shock. With the lack of margin in that shock, special tools, risk of damage and time required to do so from an already super busy guy - my guess is he likes the way the OEM Foxes ride with his springs.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.