Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 2500 4x4 off-road
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2021 tradesman 4x4 diesel with the 5th wheel and camera package. Off-road with billsteins also. Put nitto ridge grapplers 35 12.50 18 on stock rims. No level yet. Doesn’t scrub at all. What’s the best level for this truck. I want to keep it driving as close to stock as possible. Thanks in Advance

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Thuren or Carli Springs up front with New Shocks.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
24-185776 Bilstein Front shock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On a 4x4 leave the stock springs they are tougher than any aftermarket spring if all your doing is leveling it. Any kit with under 4” will be suffice because essentially you are not changing the geometry. The Cummins motor is heavy!!! I can’t tell you how many sets of springs I’ve thrown in the scrap bin and replaced them with 3500 stock springs. If you want new springs call mirage motor sports and give them the specs and the weight. If not your going to have a tire eating headache. Here is mine front 2.5” coil buckets rear stock / 20 “ rims / 35” toyos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 2500 4x4 off-road
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 3” level with new shock mounts. I’m going to order a track bar also. Do I need a steering bar

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had 2" spacers on my 2017 and 2.5" Rough Country spacers on my 2020 with the off road package with factory Bilstein shocks.

Couple weeks back I installed a Carli 2.5" with Fox shocks on my 2017 and what a difference. Night and day in how the truck rides. So much so I am thinking about doing it on my 2020. Also installed the Carli trackbar while doing the level. It wasn't cheap, didn't want to go any higher as the truck just fits in the garage, but am I ever glad I spent the money.

Reactions: OCVeloMan

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had 2" spacers on my 2017 and 2.5" Rough Country spacers on my 2020 with the off road package with factory Bilstein shocks.

Couple weeks back I installed a Carli 2.5" with Fox shocks on my 2017 and what a difference. Night and day in how the truck rides. So much so I am thinking about doing it on my 2020. Also installed the Carli trackbar while doing the level. It wasn't cheap, didn't want to go any higher as the truck just fits in the garage, but am I ever glad I spent the money.
Fox shocks is about 15 miles from my house I’ve been dealing with them for 20 years they dampen the ride nicely for urban off roading / city driving ….. bilstein is also here in town……. They are valved for more of an off road application. Spacers on a straight axle vs a-arms are two different worlds. Like I said 4x4 straight axle coil buckets/spacers stock springs and shock relocator . the truck will ride like the day you drove it home for under $500.

·
Registered
2021 2500 4x4 off-road
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fox shocks is about 15 miles from my house I’ve been dealing with them for 20 years they dampen the ride nicely for urban off roading / city driving ….. bilstein is also here in town……. They are valved for more of an off road application. Spacers on a straight axle vs a-arms are two different worlds. Like I said 4x4 straight axle coil buckets/spacers stock springs and shock relocator . the truck will ride like the day you drove it home for under $500.
So I should be good with this I suppose. I tow a 24’ car hauler with 7k axels also. About half the time

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 3” level with new shock mounts. I’m going to order a track bar also. Do I need a steering bar
Track bars and such won’t do much justice on your truck. It might look pretty cool but it’s really not necessary because with your lift you will not encounter bump steer.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My 2007 2500's stock front springs and all shocks were overwhelmed by my 2200# Northstar popup. I was really disappointed as the weight was well within my regcabs load capacity. I've had Kore VR's and Don's Kings since 2008 and the combo works well. In retrospect some stock snowplow springs would have been a good experiment.

·
Registered
2020 RAM 2500 6.7L CUMMINS
132 Posts
I would get the Carli kit with track bar, I have no complaints on any Carli stuff I’ve installed.

If budget isn’t an issue then the Carli pintop kit would be great .

watch some Cjc off-road YouTube videos he goes over 5th gen rams and best level kit options .

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2007 2500's stock front springs and all shocks were overwhelmed by my 2200# Northstar popup. I was really disappointed as the weight was well within my regcabs load capacity. I've had Kore VR's and Don's Kings since 2008 and the combo works well. In retrospect some stock snowplow springs would have been a good experiment.
Yeah like I’ve been telling everyone when dealing with the weight of a Cummins things get tricky……. Even more so with your camper. Carli is SUPER over rated. My advice to you if it were on my rack in my shop I’d call mirage racing springs. They will ask you a slew of questions……… weight, application, intended use , accessories ect…….. using data he will crank you out a set of coils that WILL not fail you. Spacers on the 2500’s never pan out unless they are 1” or a max of 2”. On a arm applications the articulation is much more intricate in comparison with the 3500 straight axles. Carli is a “pretty lift” but “pretty don’t get you home off the [email protected] again nobody tells you long term results, spring sag ect on these high dollar “BOLT ON” lifts…….. my advice is to keep it simple the other combos you used stated above are great but not for your application. Your weight distribution is in an entirely different position with your camper. Mirage makes most of the springs for NASCAR and they have the ability to simulate the ride based on your build. You might even want to consider dual rate springs so if you ever remove the camper it will still ride like a Cadillac. Hope that steers you in the right direction but please don’t spend the ridiculous money on carli unless you are name brand man. I can fabricate an entire custom truck for the price of some of their bolt on lifts. 20 years ago if someone told me they were going to put a bolt on lift on a full size diesel I would have laughed……… things are changing and unless you want an urban off road speed bump eater for a small fortune than do so, but if you take advantage of the years of R&D that dodge did on their trucks and stick to that configuration as much as possible your results will be much better and you won’t have to take a second mortgage out on your house to achieve it ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
@bwilkerson

You have mentioned this "mirage racing springs" a few times and just out of curiosity I wanted to look them up to see what they are all about. I can not find any mention of them on the web. Is it Mirage Racing Products?

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,878 Posts
Just bought 2021 tradesman 4x4 diesel with the 5th wheel and camera package. Off-road with billsteins also. Put nitto ridge grapplers 35 12.50 18 on stock rims. No level yet. Doesn’t scrub at all. What’s the best level for this truck. I want to keep it driving as close to stock as possible. Thanks in Advance
One of our biggest sellers is going to be Thuren. Carli is second. The reason why Thuren is first is because the price is cheaper then Carli and they use less parts to make their kits work which is awesome!

In order to do it properly you will need front springs, front shocks and an adjustable track bar. However you can get away without a track bar but you will want to updgrade sometime in the future. You will get a buttery smooth ride and you will be super impressed! I run thuren on my personal truck and absolutely love it.

Feel free to holler at me or the page anytime if you have any questions as we are all happy to help.

Clayton

·
Registered
319 Posts
@Dude_57

I am going to email you later today, have a couple questions.

👍

·
Registered
77 Posts
@bwilkerson

You have mentioned this "mirage racing springs" a few times and just out of curiosity I wanted to look them up to see what they are all about. I can not find any mention of them on the web. Is it Mirage Racing Products?
They are on the down low because they make coils for numerous big name companies. If you need the info pm me

·
Vendor
2,523 Posts
Yeah like I’ve been telling everyone when dealing with the weight of a Cummins things get tricky……. Even more so with your camper. Carli is SUPER over rated. My advice to you if it were on my rack in my shop I’d call mirage racing springs. They will ask you a slew of questions……… weight, application, intended use , accessories ect…….. using data he will crank you out a set of coils that WILL not fail you. Spacers on the 2500’s never pan out unless they are 1” or a max of 2”. On a arm applications the articulation is much more intricate in comparison with the 3500 straight axles. Carli is a “pretty lift” but “pretty don’t get you home off the [email protected] again nobody tells you long term results, spring sag ect on these high dollar “BOLT ON” lifts…….. my advice is to keep it simple the other combos you used stated above are great but not for your application. Your weight distribution is in an entirely different position with your camper. Mirage makes most of the springs for NASCAR and they have the ability to simulate the ride based on your build. You might even want to consider dual rate springs so if you ever remove the camper it will still ride like a Cadillac. Hope that steers you in the right direction but please don’t spend the ridiculous money on carli unless you are name brand man. I can fabricate an entire custom truck for the price of some of their bolt on lifts. 20 years ago if someone told me they were going to put a bolt on lift on a full size diesel I would have laughed……… things are changing and unless you want an urban off road speed bump eater for a small fortune than do so, but if you take advantage of the years of R&D that dodge did on their trucks and stick to that configuration as much as possible your results will be much better and you won’t have to take a second mortgage out on your house to achieve it ;)
So ignore the companies that have been desert running, daily driving, hauling with and continuously bettering the platform since the early 2000s... Further, ignore all the positive reviews (short and long term) from the customers spending their hard-earned money on the parts. Instead, call a spring manufacturer that requires one to DM you for their contact information so they can provide the "slew" of information you jotted on a yellow-notepad after visiting a certified scale so they can make you a dual-rate coil spring (6-7" travel, mind you - you'll have 2 rates in the 3.5" of up-travel?) that will achieve a better result than a high-end lift without any geometry correction or high-end bolt-in shocks tuned for the springs? That's one impressive, hard to reach coil manufacturer!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts