Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried looking for different fog lights and haven’t had much luck! I’m wanting a stock style light that is adjustable and bright?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not a lot of options for these. I tried an LED bulb in mine but they were worse than the halogen. I even tried an aftermarket amber housing with LED and halogen, both were nowhere near as good as stock. I'm running silverstars in my fogs for now and they still aren't that great.

·
Registered
14,783 Posts
I've been asking this for some time... It seems no one offers anything other than about the same as stock in light output. I have the Sport too and options for whats out there is even worse than the standard fogs since they use a different mounting. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to fabricate something to utilize a quality aftermarket LED fog light, otherwise forget it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Daniel stern lighting, the guy I got both my sport headlight relay harnesses from claims to have a good upgrade to the factory fogs that only require minimal modification to fit. Maybe inquire to him about it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guess I won’t get the wizards they must be out of business, I found so led 880 bulbs on eBay they are supposed to be 6000k!
Has anyone tried theses?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
6000k refers to the light color, which will be more on the blue side. The human eye sees 5000k and down better which is closer to natural sunlight and it’s also less fatiguing on the eyes.

I would imagine all that you’re going to get out of 6000k bulbs is the same or less visibility and blinding oncoming drivers

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am running a silverstar 881 bulb right now. They are pretty much just white.

·
Registered
14,783 Posts
Daniel stern lighting, the guy I got both my sport headlight relay harnesses from claims to have a good upgrade to the factory fogs that only require minimal modification to fit. Maybe inquire to him about it
Dont bother... His response will be to NOT run the fog lights with the headlights. His opinion is it lessens the lighting. I dont agree but only wanted his relay harness not his opinion on whether more lights did or did not equal more light.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I definitely don’t agree with his thoughts on lighting, you don’t have to to get his parts tho

·
Registered
263 Posts
I’m using Phillips 886 bulbs, they are about 30% brighter than the stock 896 bulbs. Both the 886 & 896 bulbs have the same PGJ13 base connection design and can be plugged onto the stock connector. (Sylvania is the same)

886 bulb
Color Temperature (K): 3100
Beam Wattage: 50
Lumens: 1257

896 bulb
Color Temperature (K): 3100
Beam Wattage: 38
Lumens: 942

I’ve had no issues with extra heat from the bulb damaging the lens, but I only turn them on when I need them, driving down county roads at night, fog, etc.

·
Registered
14,783 Posts
Has anyone tried any LED 886 or 896 bulbs in their fog lights?

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Dont bother... His response will be to NOT run the fog lights with the headlights. His opinion is it lessens the lighting. I dont agree but only wanted his relay harness not his opinion on whether more lights did or did not equal more light.
In a way running fog lights does lessen the light. They put out more foreground which takes away from being able to as far and wide. It's like trying to look in a window on a bright sunny day. You need to get up to the window and block the sun from your face to better through the window. Or walking in the dark using the flash light on your phone to see. It's easier to see when the phone screen is not illuminated. Same concept as driving with fog lights on.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
These are in my 3rd gen but i plan on trying to find a way to mount them on my 2nd gen.

Attachments

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,814 Posts
Just because a light is bright, does not mean it is good. Running overpowered lights in housings not designed for them, or running poorly designed LED/HID lights in non projector housings create more issues then they fix. Yes, you can make things brighter then the sun, but that does not truly help you, it defeats the JOB of fog lights, which is not to make things bright, and it creates a hazard on the road. If you are going to upgrade your lights, upgrade them responsibly. I personally enjoy my Morimoto LED Projector Fog lights. they replace the factory housings, and while they might not be a cheap option, they do their JOB. They create a light source that sees well in fog, without creating a hazard on the road, or creating Archimede's mirror. Plus, they are aesthetically pleasing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts