Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i dont have a diesel yet, but iim thinking real hard about getting one. my thinking is instead of pay 15k for a stock 06 gas truck, why not dump 15k into a first gen like i want, and get it looking and running real good. any way one of the few things that is slowing me down is keeping the soot off of my bass boat. id love to put stacks on the truck, but im afraid if i do that, im going to be fishing in a boat full of soot.
what do you guys think would be the best set up to keep the black stuff off my baby :D

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
Maybe this will sound crazy, And I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but to answer your question: Tune the truck properly......... If its not constantly billowing clouds of soot, there won't be any on your boat! And If you want a high horse 1st gen, but don't want it smoking all the time while towing, do a Valet switch (search it).

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JMD- im new to the whole diesel game, i never knew about a valet switch. that looks like just the thing im looking for. so, just so im clear about what would happen here, the switch would go after the pump and cuts the fuel down, right? (turns out a valet switch also shuts off your car alarm on a civic, so i had to sift through all of that crap). im guessing they would be adjustable, since its a custom thing.

thanks for the info man

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
It restricts the boost reading to the AFC in the injection pump. Since the AFC meters the amount of fuel supplied by the injection pump based on boost, If it doesn't see much boost, it won't add much fuel. By using this while towing on a heavily fueled truck, you can avoid all the smoke associated with pre-boost acceleration. (like leaving a stop light with a heavy load.)

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
Also, use the Search function on this site in the future. It help keep you from having to sift through a bunch of junk to get what you want. Its located in the black bar at the top of the page.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info man. il use the search in the future.

· Registered
9,910 Posts
I havent had an issue filling my boat up with soot (or anything else i tow for that matter)

Like mentioned above, a proper tune or just keeping off of the skinny pedal goes a long ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.