Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It shouldn’t be bad with the tighter housing. I think most people who run the 96 and like it are running a atomic..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Never heard of that turbo before. What is it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
96mm turbine is what I meant. It’s common as the cheaper “box” turbo s400 frame. Nothing wrong with it I just thought it was sluggish to spool for a manual truck.

·
Vendor
8,722 Posts
high altitude s475/83/1.10AR T6 and hx35 will do great for 500-550HP
1.25AR is also an option (but more expensive)

if you are doing a hx35 or he351 or 57mm borg I highly recommend not going larger than a s400 with 96/1.15AR or spool up will suffer. The 96 and 1.32AR is not a great match.

One of our guys here put a 1.15AR on his compound set up (62/68/12 and s475) and he noticed much more responsiveness even with a decent sized secondary/top turbo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
high altitude s475/83/1.10AR T6 and hx35 will do great for 500-550HP
1.25AR is also an option (but more expensive)

if you are doing a hx35 or he351 or 57mm borg I highly recommend not going larger than a s400 with 96/1.15AR or spool up will suffer. The 96 and 1.32AR is not a great match.

One of our guys here put a 1.15AR on his compound set up (62/68/12 and s475) and he noticed much more responsiveness even with a decent sized secondary/top turbo.
Pm'd you. Disregard the 472 t6, read that wrong. Better question would be on the 475/83/1.10 for my build

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not that im aware, not on fuel only anyways. If you know otherwise feel free to post a source though.
IDK what you mean by fuel only. If you use a stock turbo your only going to use close to 500whp worth of fuel anyway. If you buy a proper HotRod VP and match it to a compound turbo set up the truck will support 1000hp. They current VP I have will support 250hp injectors. On that type of fuel I can make 800hp if I buy a turbo set up capable of producing 800hp of air.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
IDK what you mean by fuel only. If you use a stock turbo your only going to use close to 500whp worth of fuel anyway. If you buy a proper HotRod VP and match it to a compound turbo set up the truck will support 1000hp. They current VP I have will support 250hp injectors. On that type of fuel I can make 800hp if I buy a turbo set up capable of producing 800hp of air.
You make it sound easy. lol
It's not quite as simple as doing math based off of made up horsepower numbers... And all this "VP will support xxx horsepower" talk sounds like common rail/CP3 talk.
Anybody that has been there and done that with a VP44 knows it's not easy. There is a dyno thread on here that lists multiple dyno numbers with the details of what parts were involved in making that power. Good reference to use, and you'll see a lot of effort put into trucks that only makes 600 horsepower. lol

Reactions: me78569

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's not quite as simple as doing math based off of made up horsepower numbers... And all this "VP will support xxx horsepower" talk sounds like common rail/CP3 talk.
Anybody that has been there and done that with a VP44 knows it's not easy. There is a dyno thread on here that lists multiple dyno numbers with the details of what parts were involved in making that power. Good reference to use, and you'll see a lot of effort put into trucks that only makes 600 horsepower. lol
There are a lot of combos making 450-500 on stock turbo, stock injectors, and basic bolt ons. Then when you start talking about adding compound turbos and bigger injectors to match almost everyone of those combos makes 650+. All those trucks are still on a VP. And if you ask me not a lot has been done to them.

What you stated was this "It's important to size your turbo's with the limits of the vp44 in mind. 800hp worth of air on a vp truck would be a dog.". And the VP has limits but they are above 800. And the fact is just because it is a VP truck does not mean it will be a dog on 800hp of air. Now if you would have said the truck will be a dog if the turbos are not sized correctly to the amount of fuel it is being fed; that would have been a true statement.

The VP 24v will make HP with no power adders. Its all about correctly sizing the turbos to the injectors you plan to feed them with. In another post someone asked about how they should upgrade there truck and I said this. Now this is if your truck has no other issues at its stock form.
1. Put a lift pump on the truck (but keep in mind the amount of HP you want to make) buy a pump that will support what you intend.​
2. Buy a Tuner.​
3. Exhaust. Same as lift pump, buy a size/ set up that will support what you intend.​
4. Put at least a VB in your trans if its still operating correctly. If not think about a better transmission.​
5. Head studs.​
6. Better intake horn and rubber couplers.​
7. VP44 injection pump upgrade. (this is also something that will need to be sized correctly to the HP you intend to run or better yet the injectors you intend to feed with the VP)​
8. Turbo/Turbo's/Injectors (Injectors can be added at anytime, however if you dont want to buy twice its good to look into what type of turbo setup you intend to run). Injectors really need to match the type of turbo setup you want to run.​
9. Revisit transmission if you haven't already. Or if you just went with a better one instead of just upgrading the VB disregard.​

And just about every time after doing all of those mods it will set you in the 600+HP range. Not a lot of work for that much HP if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
800hp turbos are not 600hp turbos, you'll always be sacrificing spool up for cfm. What it takes to make 800hp is a p-pump pushing at least 450cc of fuel. A So vp44 is rumored to sign off at 280cc's for example. Vp's are a little more efficient hp per cc..

·
Registered
211 Posts
800hp turbos are not 600hp turbos, you'll always be sacrificing spool up for cfm
You are correct there. However the VP will make 800hp or damn close if; pared with the proper upgrades. All I was stating is the fact you that you dont plan your turbos around limits of the VP(unless your trying to build a pulling truck that makes 2k HP), but that's a whole different story. For anyone one that still drives there stuff daily or often on the street, you plan them around the limits of the injectors you intend to run.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You are correct there. However the VP will make 800hp or damn close if; pared with the proper upgrades. All I was stating is the fact you that you dont plan your turbos around limits of the VP(unless your trying to build a pulling truck that makes 2k HP), but that's a whole different story. For anyone one that still drives there stuff daily or often on the street, you plan them around the limits of the injectors you intend to run.
Nice theories, I would rather build a truck around reality.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
There are a lot of combos making 450-500 on stock turbo, stock injectors, and basic bolt ons. Then when you start talking about adding compound turbos and bigger injectors to match almost everyone of those combos makes 650+. All those trucks are still on a VP. And if you ask me not a lot has been done to them.

What you stated was this "It's important to size your turbo's with the limits of the vp44 in mind. 800hp worth of air on a vp truck would be a dog.". And the VP has limits but they are above 800. And the fact is just because it is a VP truck does not mean it will be a dog on 800hp of air. Now if you would have said the truck will be a dog if the turbos are not sized correctly to the amount of fuel it is being fed; that would have been a true statement.

The VP 24v will make HP with no power adders. Its all about correctly sizing the turbos to the injectors you plan to feed them with. In another post someone asked about how they should upgrade there truck and I said this. Now this is if your truck has no other issues at its stock form.
1. Put a lift pump on the truck (but keep in mind the amount of HP you want to make) buy a pump that will support what you intend.​
2. Buy a Tuner.​
3. Exhaust. Same as lift pump, buy a size/ set up that will support what you intend.​
4. Put at least a VB in your trans if its still operating correctly. If not think about a better transmission.​
5. Head studs.​
6. Better intake horn and rubber couplers.​
7. VP44 injection pump upgrade. (this is also something that will need to be sized correctly to the HP you intend to run or better yet the injectors you intend to feed with the VP)​
8. Turbo/Turbo's/Injectors (Injectors can be added at anytime, however if you dont want to buy twice its good to look into what type of turbo setup you intend to run). Injectors really need to match the type of turbo setup you want to run.​
9. Revisit transmission if you haven't already. Or if you just went with a better one instead of just upgrading the VB disregard.​

And just about every time after doing all of those mods it will set you in the 600+HP range. Not a lot of work for that much HP if you ask me.
Not realistic at all.
Show me one dyno sheet or track slip from a truck with an HX35 and stock injectors making 450+ HP.
I'd like to see the same from all these trucks making 650+ from basic bolt ons and injectors and a turbo.

Why don't you try all of your recommendations on your own truck before spewing your lies on here.

Reactions: gmjason75

·
Registered
211 Posts
I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about. Disregard all I have, said sorry for wasting your time. I wont post here anymore

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have a link to where this break down is sir?

·
Vendor
8,722 Posts
Gearing, altitude, tire size, axle ratio all contribute greatly.

Compounds 64/s480 will support 800hp, could go smaller depending on altitude.

A single turbo at 800hp is not going to tow well, but would be fun to drive

s300 based turbos will support 700+ hp. To get to 800hp is a big jump.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts