Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings guys, I'm wanting to go ahead and run a compound turbo setup on my 3500 so my question is which additional turbo will compliment my Fleece Cheetah? I have the Fleece direct drop in and I'll be studding the head and adding 200hp sticks. Thanks in advance.

Premium Member
Kind of has been covered a lot just depends on 2 things. 1 are you going to tow any 2 you just wanna go fast

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of has been covered a lot just depends on 2 things. 1 are you going to tow any 2 you just wanna go fast
No towing, just want some speed and power. I may tow jet-skis on occasion but they weigh nothing. I've seen many threads about compounds but not a specific thread regarding a Fleece and what additional turbo to run in parallel. I love the sound of the Fleece and of course it's performance so I want to do this properly.

Premium Member
With those huge 200 sticks I would say if your looking for some power S480 want to stay on the lower S475 with smaller sticks to control the egt's a little better.

Registered
200 sticks are huge for a 63cheetah and a S475/S480. I would stay to a max of a 150 stick

Registered
However if you give DAP a call or shoot Jkidd a message im sure he would be more the willing to help you get a good second turbo that would meet your needs

Reactions: jkidd

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However if you give DAP a call or shoot Jkidd a message im sure he would be more the willing to help you get a good second turbo that would meet your needs
Probably the best thing to do is chat with the DAP guy it sounds like. Initially I was going for an 800 hp build which is why I was looking at the 200 hp sticks but now since I'm toning it down a little to around 650 hp I think the 150 sticks would be a much better fit. Thanks again for all the help.

Registered
Yup Jkidd (DAP) would set you in the right direction. It's important to size your turbo's with the limits of the vp44 in mind. 800hp worth of air on a vp truck would be a dog.

Registered
Yup Jkidd (DAP) would set you in the right direction. It's important to size your turbo's with the limits of the vp44 in mind. 800hp worth of air on a vp truck would be a dog.
You do know you can get a VP to support that. Its not so much as VP44 limits as it is just spooling time. His cheetah will do a good job of spooling but he has to match the lower turbo so he is in the efficiency range of his cheetah still and not over or under working that 63mm.

Registered
You do know you can get a VP to support that. Its not so much as VP44 limits as it is just spooling time. His cheetah will do a good job of spooling but he has to match the lower turbo so he is in the efficiency range of his cheetah still and not over or under working that 63mm.
Not that im aware, not on fuel only anyways. If you know otherwise feel free to post a source though.

Registered
200 sticks are huge for a 63cheetah and a S475/S480. I would stay to a max of a 150 stick
I won't attempt to a S472+ twin setup with less fuel than 7 x .012s.

7 x .010's ( 150) are much better suited to a single turbo setup. They simply do not flow enough to break 500-550 hp without running a metric f-ton of wiretap. Use bigger injectors and less wiretap.

I ran and towed at high elevation with "200's" for many years on a tiny little he351ve without ANY egt issues or smoke issues.

EGT's are a result of tuning.

in case you don't believe me here is a datalog showing my truck with a he351ve + 7 x .012s towing my 80's 3 horse steel gooseneck trailer at 7000'+ altitude. Even at 80% + tps input while lugging down the motor to the point of RPMS dropping egts leveled off below 1300*f and held.

Registered
If I pull fuel off, I drop exh. temps. & hp on the dyno.

Premium Member
Yup my current purchase list is
Crazy Carly Twin Kit
SXE S300 57/65/14cm2 over a S472 with DDP 100 maybe 150 I only tow a 14k Dump Trailer and 18ft Camper

Registered
please skip DDP injectors. you are much better off with DAP or DFI. If you want to spend $$ on injectors go with infinite performance to get a top notch product.

DDP injectors are smokey and hot due to incorrect spray angle.

Registered
Yup my current purchase list is
Crazy Carly Twin Kit
SXE S300 57/65/14cm2 over a S472 with DDP 100 maybe 150 I only tow a 14k Dump Trailer and 18ft Camper
For what its worth I dont think the crazy carls kit supports the t4 of the s472. Ive got the small turbo you listed and when I talked to DAP about ordering the kit and the 72 they said the kit only has the t6 available.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Registered
t t4 adapter? :unsure: Currently running a t4 s475. Runs great, no bottle necking up top either what I was worried about.

Premium Member
For what its worth I dont think the crazy carls kit supports the t4 of the s472. Ive got the small turbo you listed and when I talked to DAP about ordering the kit and the 72 they said the kit only has the t6 available.

I wouldn't run teh sxe t4 version old s400 t6 is what is going down. T4 is way to restrictive for a bottom.

Registered
I was looking for a super fast spooling setup for high altitude driving as opposed to more top end. What size of t6 472? I ended up getting the 475/96/1.15 t6 to stay with carls kit but spool easier.

Registered
I'm not a fan of the 96 wheel for a responsive tow rig. t4 atmo flows plenty for small/medium size set of compounds.

Registered
Hmm. Im still waiting for the rest of my parts to arrive so I dont know how well ill like it. DAP said it would help having the tighter exhaust housing but I guess I'll see.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts