Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow often with my rig until i get my new 3rd gen, then this one will be a toy. My question is, what brakes have you run and had the best luck with? stopping power and pad life? Ive run a variaty of pads and im not impressed with them really.

NAPA Safety stop: cheep enough, ok stopping, ok/quick pad wear
NAPA Ultra Premium: expensive, good stopping, ?? just installed
Duralast Gold: Cheep enough, poor stopping, Junk fast pads wear

I hear good things about NAPA's Adaptive One brake pad line. any other suggestions would be nice

·
Gear Nerd
1,925 Posts
KATOOOOM!!!!

If you're towing that much man, install an exhaust brake and keep whatever pads you want for 60-100k miles.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hawks makes a good pad, I think its the ones in the green box, made for towing, Im using them now, got them from autoanything, from what I can remember, was a couple of years ago when I put them on, I tow a fair amount and they are holding up pretty good,

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJ, I hit third gear and was like BRRAAAAAP!! lol yeah an exhaust brake would be nice it's just the cash issue, with racing it eats up my time and $$$.

Fifty, I'll try them out my next time around. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run nothin but the OEM pads and have great luck. I usually order online from Wholesale Mopar. I can do the entire truck for 200. I usually get 60000 out of the front pads. Al

Reactions: PalmB

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
OEM pads are the way to go, not the V-Line those suck. I nor my buddies have hand ZERO issues withe the OEM pads and paired with some performance rotors your good to go. I bought my vented/slotted rotors from Rotors Brakes Brake Rotors Drilled Slotted Brake Pads and bought the pads at my work.

Reactions: auniqueone23

·
Registered
360 Posts
I find that the EBC greenstuffs have more stopping power and are less prone to squeaking than the stockers.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
More stopping power yes, prone to squeaking NO. The OEM pads are know for being very quiet pads. I to was debating between EBC greenstuffs and OEM but after doing alot of research found the OEMS are the quietest pads out there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well that's not the same experience with oem that I got... I got about 45k out of mine top, that's with the last 30k miles being the loudest breaks on the road and my new wheels with about 15k on them are brown from the dust, in my experience the oem break pads on my 2013 ram 2500 with an exhaust break are absolute garbage and I would mever.. ever..everrrrrrrrrr buy them again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Which pads have the best balance of performance, low noise, and low dust?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

IMHO, the ones that came on your 3rd gen truck from the factory offer EXACTLY what you are looking for.

They are the Mopar PREMIUM line brake pads... not the "Value" line that most dealerships carry at the parts counter and try to sell you.

OEM part #'s for the premium pads that came on your truck from the factory--

05093267AA full set--FRONT Disc Brake Pads
05093257AA full set-- REAR Disc Brake Pads

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Aren't you the premium oems just a mopar relabeled Bosch quite cast or something?
I swear I remember seeing/reading that at one point?...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Aren't you the premium oems just a mopar relabeled Bosch quite cast or something?
I swear I remember seeing/reading that at one point?...
Well I guess that is possible, but I have NEVER heard that before.

I am only going off my direct experience on my 2005 2500 4x4. I got slightly over 100k trouble free miles with excellent stopping power, even towing 10k, and minimal dusting and zero noise from the oem pads, driving the curves and hills and crappy roads that I call home. When it was time to replace the original pads, I could not at all argue with the service and performance that I got from them, so I simply bought and installed another set of the Mopar premium pads with the part #'s that I listed previously. I didn't even need to turn the rotors ( though I did mic them to make sure) and they still had over half their "meat" left. Cleaned everything up, "greased" the calipers, and been driving for another 20k since the brake job, also with ZERO issues.

Of course in a winter environment you may also need to replace the calipers and/or rotors as the dam chlorides they use on the roads are REALLY harsh on them!!!

Just my .02 based on my personal experiences, though anecdotally others have also gotten really good performance and mileage from their oem premium pads, at least on 3rd gen trucks...amybe they changed something on later models??!!

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
EBC Greenstuff.
Can't speak to overall pad life, but I have 30-40k miles on a set now and the front pads still look real good, rears like new. Truck is 3rd vehicle now and does as much towing and hauling as empty driving.
Never a single squeak or squeal (can't say that for OE pads on most any truck if you get em in mud or real dusty conditions). Very good stopping power (even on my original, never turned 150kmile rotors). And very little dust compared to any semi metallic pad.

I'm not brand loyal, especially to brake pads, lol, but after getting sick of brake dust, both vehicles got EBC pads past time around and they're grrrreat!

·
Registered
13 Posts
IMHO, the ones that came on your 3rd gen truck from the factory offer EXACTLY what you are looking for.

They are the Mopar PREMIUM line brake pads... not the "Value" line that most dealerships carry at the parts counter and try to sell you.

OEM part #'s for the premium pads that came on your truck from the factory--

05093267AA full set--FRONT Disc Brake Pads
05093257AA full set-- REAR Disc Brake Pads
Thanks for the OE part numbers. I had been looking to replace my front set of brake pads. I found them online with the factory warranty and saved some money in the process. Saved about $40 bucks. OEM is the best option in my opinion as well. Appreciate the info and this is where I got them from https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-shoe-kit-front-disc-brake~5093267aa.html

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Thanks for the OE part numbers. I had been looking to replace my front set of brake pads. I found them online with the factory warranty and saved some money in the process. Saved about $40 bucks. OEM is the best option in my opinion as well. Appreciate the info and this is where I got them from https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-shoe-kit-front-disc-brake~5093267aa.html
That's a dam good price at less then $100 per axle. I paid closer to $120 per when I did mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.