Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just took delivery of my new to me 2006 QCLB Laramie 5.9L with the 48RE. It's well maintained and I bought it from the original owner whom I knew. It's got 230K on it, and he ran a tow/economy tune since almost new (Diablosport). I blew the torque converter on the test drive, but I budgeted for a rebuild in the purchase price. I had a local reputable shop rebuild it with a single disc billet converter.

With that out of the way, I'd really like to monitor things better than with the stock gauges. He never put any additional gauges or anything on this truck, and my next worry is the injectors. I'd like to be set up to monitor everything and have a good idea of what the engine is doing past the stock gauges. Part of me wants to take the tune off all together and run it bone stock. I'm not a big speed guy, just more of a longevity tracker. 600 Ft lb is plenty for me and towing my stuff around.

All of this said, what would you all suggest for a set of gauges/all in one for keeping an eye on things? Any thing else I should be looking into? I planned to do the dual filter kit from throttle up to get my fuel filtration taken care of.

Thank you,
Rob

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,573 Posts
All,

Just took delivery of my new to me 2006 QCLB Laramie 5.9L with the 48RE. It's well maintained and I bought it from the original owner whom I knew. It's got 230K on it, and he ran a tow/economy tune since almost new (Diablosport). I blew the torque converter on the test drive, but I budgeted for a rebuild in the purchase price. I had a local reputable shop rebuild it with a single disc billet converter.

With that out of the way, I'd really like to monitor things better than with the stock gauges. He never put any additional gauges or anything on this truck, and my next worry is the injectors. I'd like to be set up to monitor everything and have a good idea of what the engine is doing past the stock gauges. Part of me wants to take the tune off all together and run it bone stock. I'm not a big speed guy, just more of a longevity tracker. 600 Ft lb is plenty for me and towing my stuff around.

All of this said, what would you all suggest for a set of gauges/all in one for keeping an eye on things? Any thing else I should be looking into? I planned to do the dual filter kit from throttle up to get my fuel filtration taken care of.

Thank you,
Rob

Gauges are a great step in the right direction! There are quite a few options. One of the most popular being the new EDGE CTS3. It's fairly inexpensive and can show quite a lot of information.

When you are ready for injectors i highly recommend you checking out the post i made about BBI injectors. Either that or do some research on them so when the time comes you will know which ones to buy.

Most people go with a fass or air dog for their fuel filter kit and lift pump. I have not heard of that kit yet that you mentioned but it looks like a great kit for what you get.

So far it looks like you have done some great research my friend.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Depends on who you ask. Me, I love my CTS2. Not seeing the benefits of upgrading to the new one. I got a buddy that loves his mechanical gauges. Me, I like that all my stuff is in one location and it even gives you alerts.

·
Trying to learn
5,581 Posts
Another Edge user mine being the CTS. Nice setup for all the things I like to monitor.

Reactions: Jaysz28

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
I’m running Isspro gauges. Love them.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm running the edge cts3 might as well get the newest and greatest

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jaysz28

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a hard-gauge guy too, but I'd like to be able to monitor rail pressure, and any pids at a glance while I am running. Ideally, I bought this truck to start traveling the country a bit more with my TT or slide-in if I find one. Getting all the gauges would be aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, but that's probably going to get expensive quickly.

The fuel filter kit I found is this one: 03-12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit

As I understand it, the third gens have a lift pump in the tank, so increasing the pressure with an inline pump isn't exactly necessary like a second gen. Am I correct? Or should I be looking into a FASS system? I'm all about reliability here. Trying to bulletproof a stock truck on a budget.

Looks like my original thinking I was heading to the Edge CTS2 are correct.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,922 Posts
The in-tank pumps are as good as it gets. Added filtration is a good thing though. Link below is similar to the FASS, but still uses the oem pump. I may look at a CTS2 or 3 at some point, but having too much info can be annoying too. It changes the way you drive I find. Even just a pyro changes things. I am constantly driving by EGTs, which is not a bad thing when I have my slide in camper on, and boat or 4Runner on the trailer behind.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm using this filter kit, it's easy to install. I have the MM3 it has gauges also.

Kevin.
Very nice I need to get one of those how easy was it to install thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts