Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts
Toyo M-55’s, I ran them on my ‘12 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 after going through a couple sets of BFG AT’s (great in the snow but too soft for the summer) and had a set of M-55’s installed on my ‘18 when I bought it. They cost more but they last longer. No plans to ever buy anything else.

I agree. I have Toyo AT2 on my 2500 right now. They are dangerous in wet weather. I can easily lose traction passing someone at 70mph if it’s raining. Anti lock brakes are constantly engaging and not even doing a panic stop.

I’ll never buy them again.
I’m one of the other haters that Fisherguy mentioned. I bought three sets of AT IIs for my Jeep, dually, and ‘14 3500. I sold the Jeep and dually before I got too much wear on them, but the set I had on the 3500 I kept for 20,000 miles. My traction control would come on if I pulled away from a light and tires touched paint from a crosswalk... If someone spat on the road, they would lose traction. I had it four wheel drift on dry mountain highways. No wonder they came out with the AT III.

I’m going to re-tire before winter and am so far leaning towards the AT3 XLT as Cooper has treated me right through the past 3 sets of ST Maxxs. I’m not 100% on the sizes offered though. I have Toyo MTs on my truck now, that came with it, and I do really love these, but they are not “practical” and my inner meathead and grown-up are doing battle. I may check out the Toyo CT and the new AT III before I decide. Luckily I have four months to duke it out in my head!

Reactions: Fisherguy
I try to keep my 4 wheel drifts to logging roads, not highways.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
I’m one of the other haters that Fisherguy mentioned. I bought three sets of AT IIs for my Jeep, dually, and ‘14 3500. I sold the Jeep and dually before I got too much wear on them, but the set I had on the 3500 I kept for 20,000 miles. My traction control would come on if I pulled away from a light and tires touched paint from a crosswalk... If someone spat on the road, they would lose traction. I had it four wheel drift on dry mountain highways. No wonder they came out with the AT III.

I’m going to re-tire before winter and am so far leaning towards the AT3 XLT as Cooper has treated me right through the past 3 sets of ST Maxxs. I’m not 100% on the sizes offered though. I have Toyo MTs on my truck now, that came with it, and I do really love these, but they are not “practical” and my inner meathead and grown-up are doing battle. I may check out the Toyo CT and the new AT III before I decide. Luckily I have four months to duke it out in my head!
I had the Nitto version of the CT's I had to sell them after a month as they were too noisy for my taste. They're a beast of a tire and balanced well though. The AT3 XLT's look great and are about the same weight as theat2'S AND at3'S. However the new AT111s have a 2-ply sidewall too,down from a 3-ply in my AT2's. I'm going to go smaller next time back to a 285 or 295. The 35's really drag and I don't do deep sand or silt.

I had the Nitto version of the CT's I had to sell them after a month as they were too noisy for my taste. They're a beast of a tire and balanced well though. The AT3 XLT's look great but they are substantially lighter than the AT2's and 3's. I don't know if that amounts to anything are not, Mt buddy swears by the Coopers and gets really good long life out of them.They have a 2-ply sidewall. However the new AT111s have a 2-ply sidewall too,down from a 3-ply in my AT2's. I'm going to go smaller next time back to a 285 or 295. The 35's really drag and I don't do deep sand or silt.
For my stock size, LT275/70R18, the AT3 XLT is 3lbs heavier than the old AT3.

The 35x12.50R18’s are also heavier in AT3 XLT than AT3.

I can’t find any info on AT2’s, but the AT3 XLT’s are not substantially lighter they are heavier than the AT3’s.

I’ve got almost 7K miles on my AT3 XLT’s and they have been fantastic. Initial wear is great, but time will tell on that.

I have no honest clue on the old cooper AT3's as to the NEW Coopper AT3 XL's
but having gone from old to new model, I can tell you the new XL's ride smoother
I cannot say on wear, my old AT3;s barely got me 26,000 miles and were GONE< so, I am hoping the enw one's do WAY better
and YES, they did get pro rated on warranty gave me a discount on the XL"s, or honestly I might have gone to another brand tire all together, as the old AT3's were poor lived tires for me! got more out of the factory Firestones and I thought they sucked for wear!

and as of right now, my XL's 2000 miles or so on them, and I have a BAD vibration, that just started, having to take em back to get re balanced come Monday or when they can get me in>
so, riding smoother great, vibration BAD HAHA!
I am HOPING They make it to 36-40k, on mileage which is about my average on other brands!
never got much more, , it amazes me how so many get so much more than I do
must have gone thru 60+ sets of tires and NONE lasted much longer than 40 k for me? and I DON"T drive like a wild man, all the more so these days more like a old fart! and getting the worse mileage now than when I was younger and maybe had a heavier foot! rotate, stay on top of air, and still poor life on tires here!

Wow, using up 60+ sets is a lot for a '16.
HAHA< NO I NEVER said that!
was referring to 60 sets of tires on 3/4 ton trucks over my yrs, NOT just this truck
I have NEVER gotten ANY tire on ANY 3/4 ton truck I have owned to last like so many do!
my roads here(lived in same area all my life, EAT tires I guess more than some places)

Reactions: Jimmy N.
Much like I don't know what mileage I'd get if not towing, I will probably never find out how many miles I'd get out of a set of tires these days. They age out before wearing out.

But earlier today I was impressed, again, how well the Toyo C/T steer tires are holding up. They may have less than 14,000 miles on them, but the way I drive I expected the outer shoulders to wear out somewhat quickly.

The Toyo AT3's must be really new? They're not even shown on the toyo.ca website yet.
The AT2's left a bad taste in my mouth for Toyo's, we'll see how these new Falken's do.

Reactions: AH64ID
The Toyo AT3's must be really new? They're not even shown on the toyo.ca website yet.
The AT2's left a bad taste in my mouth for Toyo's, we'll see how these new Falken's do.
Never heard of Toyo AT3’s either, but I did find them on the Toyo website.

If Toyo is the AT2 and AT3 that @Danderson is talking about they are also lighter than the Cooper AT3 XLT. So I’m still not what tire he was talking about.

In the 285-75-17 size the Cooper AT3 XLT's are 58#,The Toyo 111's are 60#. Really it's a wash. The AT111's lost the 3-ply sidewall and are 3# lighter than the AT11's. You guys are probably running 18's so I don't know what the difference would be. With 10"of rain here cheater slicks would work. I've yet to have a construction or balance issue with Toyos since I switched from Bridgestone(fail) and BFG's(2x fail).

In the 285-75-17 size the Cooper AT3 XLT's are 58#,The Toyo 111's are 60#. Really it's a wash. The AT111's lost the 3-ply sidewall and are 3# lighter than the AT11's. You guys are probably running 18's so I don't know what the difference would be. With 10"of rain here cheater slicks would work. I've yet to have a construction or balance issue with Toyos since I switched from Bridgestone(fail) and BFG's(2x fail).
Interesting, In that size toyo has a 59# tire and a 60# tire.

I hadn’t looked at 17’s as they are severely handicapped in their ratings. No point in building a heavier HD tire that’s only rated at 3195lbs.

I never had any failure issues with Toyo, I just couldn’t get any mileage out of them.

Ya, 17s are only good for 3195 lbs, that's why I went to 18s and the 4080 pound load capacity.

Reactions: AH64ID
The handling of 18’s is night and day compared to 17’s. Between the better frame/suspension my ‘18 with auto-level and 18’s is better than my ‘05 with bags, anti-sway bar, and 19.5’s.

You write that as if there was something wrong with going sideways on mountain roads.
I’m all for it when it makes sense. On dry pavement with only 20,000 on a set of Toyos it does NOT!

The CTs in my size (35x12.50-17) are 77 lbs each, the MTs are 78 and the AT IIIs are 70. The Coopers are both a bit smaller as 315/70-17s and ST Maxx are 66 lbs and AT3 XLTs are 64 lbs. I’m going to call my Toyo rep and quiz him on the difference in the carcasses on the 3 Toyos. I’d really like to run the Coopers, but I think they are built a bit light. The ST Maxxs are only a D in the 315 too, so that’s out.

Does anyone have any real world info on mpg loss going from the MT to CT or similar?

The AT IIIs are new. Did you buy the Falkens to replace your Coopers? Were the STs worn out? If so, how many kms did you put on them? I recall them having 5,000 or so on them when I picked them up for you?

I also just looked at the weight ratings and the Toyo MT is 3640 lbs in the 35x12.50-17, and the CT is the regular 3195. That’s 445 lbs per tire more for the MT. 1780 lbs more capacity is substantial enough that a may go full retard I mean meathead and stick with the MTs. The MT is also the best rain/wet snow tire I’ve ever driven. Decisions decisions...

I also just looked at the weight ratings and the Toyo MT is 3640 lbs in the 35x12.50-17, and the CT is the regular 3195. That’s 445 lbs per tire more for the MT. 1780 lbs more capacity is substantial enough that a may go full retard I mean meathead and stick with the MTs. The MT is also the best rain/wet snow tire I’ve ever driven. Decisions decisions...
My friend has the 35-12.50-17 MT's. He wish he'd gone with the Method 18x9x 5.75 backspacing HD wheels and applicable tires. He can push the truck side to side with his fairly light Lance and get tire squirm. In retrospect I wish I'd done the same. I get some drift with my 35" AT2's and the popup. The stock 18" Mopar rims are plenty strong but too narrow for 35's which he needs for flotation. I'm going back down to 285's which will have the shorter sidewalls. My 285-75-17 Toyo MT's were rock solid but I couldn't handle the racket. Yeah,decisions,decisions. All it takes is mucho dinero especially you Canucks.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.