Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts
Is this the tire you have? Looks like most of this series have a 50-65K mileage warranty in metric sizes.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S | Cooper Tire
yes and NO, the tires I have are the Cooper Discoverer AT3, NOT with the 4S, they I don't think come in the load rating of d or E , and I run E rated tires!
BUT the tires I have also have the 50k warranty, BUT its NOT offered on the LT series tires with the E load rating, its ONLY for A-B C load rated tires, which I gather is the same for the one's you listed!
very few if ANY LT or load E tries that fit our ram's will have any mileage warranty on them, as too many factors can have excessive wear and tire makers know it and would loose there in tires wearing out too soon !
over my life time I have gone thru a LOT of tires , some times 2 sets a yr over the past almost 40 yrs on 3/4 ton and up pickup trucks
I Normally average about 36k on most tires, LONGEST lasting tires I have ever run have been Michelin's LTX A/T2 , have got to 50k and have tread left, but with winter coming would replace!
BUT they sucked off road, and in any type of mud, even mild, I am on a lot of farms and they sucked there,
if I ONLY ran pavement all the time, they would be the ONLY tire I would ever buy.
another flaw with them, is they hold and throw gravel/small stones like crazy, again only a issue if your driving off pavement, not a big issue!
and there price, there NOT cheap and odds's if you factor in there added costs, as to the shorter wear of better gripping tires in mud, it works out to about the same in $$$ being spent

folks that get hi miles out of tires (50-60-70-80k) blow my mind, I have never ever seen even half of most of that, then again I won;t run on very low treads, too many rains and snows and?? here worth me trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of tires, a truck in a ditch or hydro planing, will quickly surpass the saving on a extra miles from low tread tires! I value my safety over saving a few bucks!

its a person decision I know and not bashing, I just won't drive on low treads!
I am sure some folks can squeeze a few thousand miles or more past when I ditch my tires for new one's, but I have not had an accident due to tires since the 90's when I hydro planed on lower tread tires and no desire to try that again
75 mph and tires loosing it, ain;t no fun! LOL and sure wasn't cheap or pain free!

Have you seen Toyo's M55? Supposed to be a beast of a tire.
They are.. I'm on my 3rd set on my 2012 Ram.. first set went on at 22K miles (removed the OEM Transforce HTs after 4 flats driving on gravel roads during deer season) and put 265/70R17's on it. They lasted till about 90K miles when I put the next set on in 285/70R17's (a 33" tire) which lasted till about 155K miles and I'm on my 3rd set (again 285/70R17) with 162K on the truck. Figure I'll get somewhere around 220 to 225K miles on the truck on this pair.

Just to chip in, I'm on my 3rd set of BFG K02's and I'm on the 3rd set for good reason lol. They are a fantastic all around tire for cruising, towing, winter, summer, rain, snow, ice ... you name it they handle it well. Kind of a Jack of all trades if you will.

Just to chip in, I'm on my 3rd set of BFG K02's and I'm on the 3rd set for good reason lol. They are a fantastic all around tire for cruising, towing, winter, summer, rain, snow, ice ... you name it they handle it well. Kind of a Jack of all trades if you will.
My coworker only got 18,000 miles out of his BFG KO 2s, on his 3500 dually.

My son has them on 3 different vehicles. But none of them are as heavy as a dually, or do the work a dually does either.

My son has them on 3 different vehicles. But none of them are as heavy as a dually, or do the work a dually does either.
Mine are on a 2500 daily driver / recreational towing. I tow a 30' camper, ATV's, Snowmobiles in a 18' enclosed trailer, 2 boats and utility trailer. I drive about 30,000 miles a year, probably 5,000 of that is towing something.

Typically mine have been lasting to about 65,000 miles, I probably could have more out of them but I run in the snow so I never wait until I go as low as the wear bars. I agree, 18,000 miles is terrible!!

That’s the exact tire the mgr at “D” tire store just recommended yesterday and I was reading reviews and have found nothing but positive things regarding its performance.
Discount or Costco won't sell you any thing rated below stock. If it came with an E that's what they'll sell you.
I've ridden in Score support trucks. Toyo MT's were rock solid. BFG took over sponsorship and the result was extreme drift. Same size,same inflation.

Mine are on a 2500 daily driver / recreational towing. I tow a 30' camper, ATV's, Snowmobiles in a 18' enclosed trailer, 2 boats and utility trailer. I drive about 30,000 miles a year, probably 5,000 of that is towing something.

Typically mine have been lasting to about 65,000 miles, I probably could have more out of them but I run in the snow so I never wait until I go as low as the wear bars. I agree, 18,000 miles is terrible!!
Not sure why he only got 18,000. His truck is a Chevy 3500, he pulls a Gooseneck flatbed and a horse trailer. He's pretty good at tire psi, rotation/ maintenance too. His truck shouldn't weigh anymore than my Dodge 3500.

I used to work on and maintain a fleet of trucks for a pipeline company. We bought around $50-60k worth a tires a year. ( Trucks/ trailers and equipment) we tried almost every brand and kind of tire out there. Biggest thing I found, a tire that works on one particular truck, may no work on another. Too many variables, load, driver, pulling trailer, on road/ off road etc. It was a nightmare keeping all those trucks rolling. They had 200+ trucks/trailers light duty to otr trucks.

Toyo CT not as mud tire like the toyo M55.

Ride great, very quiet and smooth Ive been towing 30,000lb last few months got about 20k on them just starting to see wear.

I will say for the first time i got stuck today, was towing about 10-12k trailer and the truck got stuck in a soft area of mud and cow . drove over it empty many times . tires loaded up with mud and crap. would the M55 work better maybe but im 70 percent highway 30 off.

last weekend truck was loaded at 14300lbs just the truck with a big load of firewood driving it over rocks and dirt trails for 20 miles and 60 miles on highway. and they still look great. i did worry driving over some of the sharp rocks being so heavy i just took it very slow. they seem fine no cuts or leaks

I just put a set of Cooper AT3 XLT's on my '18 in the stock 275/70R18.

They are designed for heavy hauling, gravel roads, and are severe snow rated with a 3PMSF rating.

All of that and they have a 60K mile warranty, not too shabby.

Reactions: Danderson
My friend's been using Coopers for 10+ years now and swears by them. Long wear and sturdy.
I switched from Toyo and BFG about 4 years ago and have no intentions of going anywhere but Cooper. I got really tired of how quickly Toyo and BFG wear out. I also have Cooper SRX's on the wifes 4Runner and they are a great tire too.. and hardly any wear in the last 2 years.

I even made the mistake of trying out 14 ply Toyo's, and those have the same rapid wear rate like the 10 ply tires do.

Had 1 set of M55s a while ago. Couldn't tell you how long they lasted, cause I sold the truck about 40k miles later and they hadn't wore out yet.

Another recommendation (not cheap) is Toyo AT2s.
Now I haven't had a set on a HD truck, but put a set of C load AT2s on my company truck Chevy 1500 crew cab.
I had them siped the first winter after about 10k miles on them. Tread is not as deep as the E load tires. Am up to about 40k miles on them. Truck is 90% lightly loaded (full tool box and 50 gal slip tank) commuter/highway and 10% heavy towing.
They got phenomenal traction the last 2 winters (pulled them for 1 summer season to save them for winter #2 and have been running them all year now.) and are still at over 50% tread
I honestly did not expect this mileage out of the C load tires and they look set to make it through this winter with good traction (hopefully) and next summer at least.

Reactions: Jimmy N.
I got the Cooper XLT's in 275/70/18 about 4k miles ago. Was checking pressure like I do routinely and noticed 2 of the 4 tires sidewalls are cracking/splitting in multiple spots.

Not good. Will be taking truck to Discount and see if this is a fluke or if it is a known problem. Go the tires Memorial Day this year.

I love the tires but can't have split sidewalls waiting to blow.

Only towed my boat so nothing to do with towing/weight etc.

Thinking I'll go Falken AT3W 2 ply, or Yokohama X-AT 3 ply sidewall, if they end up crediting me back vs replacing the 2 bad tires.

Rick

I am just shy of 5K mikes in my 275/70R18 Cooper AT3 XLT’s that I installed just after labor day. A little over 1500 miles towing, 115 miles with chains on, 400 miles of dirt roads (some towing), and some highway miles. I’ve driven in mud, snow, ice, and slush.

I am very impressed with this tire. It’s got great traction, very quiet, and shows no signs of visible wear yet. I’ll measure the tread depth at my first rotation.

I’m debating getting a 5th tire at my 1st rotation and doing a 5 tire rotation and having a better 2nd spare. I need to ask what what would do to my mileage warranty.

Reactions: ironpony
I just put a set of Cooper AT3 XLT's on my '18 in the stock 275/70R18.

They are designed for heavy hauling, gravel roads, and are severe snow rated with a 3PMSF rating.

All of that and they have a 60K mile warranty, not too shabby.

this is what I am running but in 20". love them

I'm not sure what I do different, but I've never gotten 30,000 miles out of any set of tires on my diesel trucks

Something doesn’t seem right. I got 76k out of my factory tires and 70k on a set of BFG AT2 KO.

I’m currently running a set of Toyo AT2 right now and hate them. They are absolutely horrible on wet pavement and don’t seem to be wearing as well as my two previous sets of BFGs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I run Falken AT3W on my personal trucks and our work trucks. The work trucks are often towing goosenecks that are technically (and legally) overloaded which is rough on life plus 5th wheel campers that are on the heavy side of things, right at max rear axle weight. They are great tires on the road, incredible in snow and tend to last around 50k miles before they are getting low enough that we swap them out. If you ran them all the way down to the wear indicators you could probably get 60k miles from them. All our previous tires we tried were going anywhere from 20k-45k with the Toyos coming in around 45k so they would be a close second, but the Falkens are better in snow.

Another recommendation (not cheap) is Toyo AT2s.
I would NOT recommend Toyo AT2's to anyone. I tried them a few years ago. they get absolutely crappy on wet roads when they're about half worn. I had them and they were so bad I got rid of them with half the tread left, 2 other people I know in the Vancouver area had the same problem and they did the same thing. (It rains a lot in Vancouver)

I just put 285/75R18' Falkens on my truck.

Reactions: AH64ID
I would NOT recommend Toyo AT2's to anyone. I tried them a few years ago. they get absolutely crappy on wet roads when they're about half worn. I had them and they were so bad I got rid of them with half the tread left, 2 other people I know in the Vancouver area had the same problem and they did the same thing. (It rains a lot in Vancouver)

I just put 285/75R18' Falkens on my truck.

I agree. I have Toyo AT2 on my 2500 right now. They are dangerous in wet weather. I can easily lose traction passing someone at 70mph if it’s raining. Anti lock brakes are constantly engaging and not even doing a panic stop.

I’ll never buy them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.