Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm eyeing the market for a 3rd gen ('03-'07 and preferrably not the guzzling 6.7L), but I was wondering what ya'lls opinions on which is the all around best year model. I'm lookin for things like FUEL ECONOMY (big thing), transmission strength (automatic), seat comfort, air conditioning, ride comfort, and brightness of the headlights. But feel free to throw in other perks and stuff that is better on other year models. So lets hear it guys. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Id say the 06 or 07 main problem with 06 is the seats stain REALLY bad if you dont get the leather.. guys chime in here and help me out

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the ride is kickin my in my '99... and it's in the 200K range. My girlfriend doesn't like rowin the gears through town. And I gotta quit puttin the miles on it, or else my son's not gonna have anything to drive when I finally have a son! haha but anyways I'll be getting cloth for sure... never liked the leather at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
best one i had was my 03. got good mileage around town and highway and still had the dark cloth seats.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So your '03 got better mileage than what you have now? What do you have now?

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
I have had zero issues with my 07 5.9L. Someone please knock on wood. :lol3:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm not so much worried about engine reliablity (it is a Cummins afterall) but more other perks from one versus another and transmission reliability issues. I'd probably have the trans beefed up immediately whatever year model I bought.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just read this in an ad on autotrader, is this total BS?

"You are looking at an 2004 Dodge 2500 SLT 4x4 Crew Cab Short Bed pickup with the much sought after '04 1/2 Cummins Turbo Diesel and an Automatic Transmission. As you Dodge folks know, the 04 motors are anomalies of sorts when it comes to fuel mileage and are often seen getting well over 20mpg."

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
well my 06 gets 21-22 hwy and 17-18 in town.... you can get about 20 on all the 5.9's ( I think) depends on how you drive.... keep your foot outa it

·
Registered
297 Posts
My '03 gets 24 on hwy and the leather seats are damn comfy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry didn't have my sig updated

I now have an 2007.5 6.7 2500 4x4.
I still get to see my 03, since I sold it to my neighbor.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry didn't have my sig updated

I now have an 2007.5 6.7 2500 4x4.
I still get to see my 03, since I sold it to my neighbor.
What kinda economy do you see with your 6.7? I don't think I could possibly ever drive anything as quiet as the 6.7's. I love the roar of my '99 so I'd definitely be straight piping the next pickup I own.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love my '05. Transmission good, HO motor good, still the headlight shape I like.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best mileage are the '03-'04... Not '04.5 and make sure it has a 48RE...
Why the 48RE specifically? What transmission did it have before the 48RE and what year models came with it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
the gen3s are nice but I don't think you can beat the mileage of the Gen2s.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
the gen3s are nice but I don't think you can beat the mileage of the Gen2s.
I keep my foot out of the pedal, and I usually make 20-21 with my '99. I've heard of some guys with 3rd gens that make that also. I would think that the superior injection from the common rails could easily be more fuel efficient than any VP engine. The only reason that a 3rd gen should make less is because they're rated for more horsepower... meaning they use more fuel. Maybe that Smarty half power setting would be a winner. I don't use 300 hp anyways.

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
I have owned two...an 04.5 and the current 06. Have been happy with both.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts