Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to bite the bullet and purchase either a 2nd gen swap kit or a replacement turbo for my truck. I'm getting the bad turbo codes and long story short dealer hosed me and I'm paying for it...Below is info about my truck and goals as well as some of the options I've considered.

-Truck: 2015 ram3500 (SRW) 6.7 cummins
-Tranny: G56 with stock clutch for now
-Miles: 30K...Practically a brand new truck - cummins/ram need to pick better turbos for trucks since mines already failing at 30K miles!
-Mods: Fully deleted, tuned with MM3 tuner, 4in exhaust
-Goals: Fun truck to drive. I rarely haul but when I do its a small boat and small trailer.
-Other notes: Plan to stay on stock studs, stock fuel, and stock clutch for as long as I can. WILL upgrade when needed and will drive conservative to help keep things okay until I can upgraded other parts.

BUDGET: $3000 - The cheaper I go on a turbo setup the more money I'll have left for other mods such as injector nozzles or a clutch upgrade.

Setups I've considered:

-Smeldings 2nd gen swap kit S467.7 with billet wheel: $2,594.00 - Seems to be the cheapest 2nd gen swap. How is this kit quality?
-BD-Power S467 Rumble B Turbo Kit: $2,750.00 - Looks like a solid kit and comes with manifold and everything and is the S467 so it'll set me up for future mods.
-H&S Motorsports SX-E with 69mm wheel Turbo Kit and speed steed manifold upgrade: $3,099.00 - Looks to be a solid complete kit but not sure if its an S400 or S300 series turbo since it doesn't specify.
-Fleece FPE-351-1317 Holset VGT Cheetah: $2,699.00 - Keeps stock functionality but is a VGT turbo so I'm scared it'll fail again as well as be too small.
-BD Diesel Iron Horn Kit S369SXE/80 1.00AR: $1700 - Cheapest of all options but scared it'll be too small and limit me in the long run. IF I went this option I'd have a little bit of budget for other mods.

I would consider a complete Fleece kit but the price is very high with manifold, turbo and coolant tank and out of budget.

Any advice? Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you like the exhaust brake feature and want to keep it I would consider a second gen style manifold with the he451ve. I just installed this setup on a bone stock truck minus the emission and the owner loves it. It was a bit over your budget but well worth it. On stock injectors and lift pump with a EFI Live autocal set on stock with emissions delete this setup is awesome and will allow you to grow into it in the future. My current setup is a he451ve with a 488 under it and I love it. On all my builds I don’t run coolant to the turbo actuator. It keeps the actuator cooler by about 25 degrees and I have been all over the country Towing with it with zero problems

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,177 Posts
the dealer hosed you because you deleted a truck and voided the warranty by modifying the tuning and emissions of the vehicle?

Ram needs a better turbo? that's funny, mine, which is the same turbo, has 120k miles on it, without issues, others have 200-300-400k miles on them, without needing replaced. Might the issue actually be more related to a heavy foot, creating soot, and not towing which equates to not getting the EGTs high enough to clean the soot off, which means the VGT will fail due to buildup in the turbo.

I am not opposed to upgrading and deleting, i've done it myself, (and with substantially more trouble free miles then you as well) but don't blame FCA or the dealer what you knowingly brought onto yourself by voiding warranties, and compounding it with a heavy foot and no work.

As to which one you should get, do some research, this exact subject is constantly debated about. do a search for second gen swap and read until your eyes fall out and your heart is content. There is no magic 8 ball to tell you what to do. you need to decide what you want, and go from there. Don't forget to look into drive pressure and cylinder pressures of whatever set up your going to do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the dealer hosed you because you deleted a truck and voided the warranty by modifying the tuning and emissions of the vehicle?

Ram needs a better turbo? that's funny, mine, which is the same turbo, has 120k miles on it, without issues, others have 200-300-400k miles on them, without needing replaced. Might the issue actually be more related to a heavy foot, creating soot, and not towing which equates to not getting the EGTs high enough to clean the soot off, which means the VGT will fail due to buildup in the turbo.

I am not opposed to upgrading and deleting, i've done it myself, (and with substantially more trouble free miles then you as well) but don't blame FCA or the dealer what you knowingly brought onto yourself by voiding warranties, and compounding it with a heavy foot and no work.

As to which one you should get, do some research, this exact subject is constantly debated about. do a search for second gen swap and read until your eyes fall out and your heart is content. There is no magic 8 ball to tell you what to do. you need to decide what you want, and go from there. Don't forget to look into drive pressure and cylinder pressures of whatever set up your going to do.
I think I should have been more clear about the dealer issue. I did not delete and tune the truck. It came with all the mods it has now. I took it on a 45 minute test drive and all was well. Truck seemed fine with no check engine lights but when I drove it home which was a two hour drive I was five minutes from home and the check engine light came on. I googled and figured out how to read the codes with the tuner and it was all three of the bad turbo codes...I immediately called the dealer and asked what the deal was and if I could bring it back to either fix it or get my moment back. Since I signed a sold as is with no warranty document they insisted they aren’t liable...so I got sold a lemon unfortunately and I tried calling a lawyer and did everything I could to get the dealer to work with me and they refused...so now my only real option is to fix the turbo issue....after searching it does look like the topic has been completely beat to death and I’m not the only one with the factory turbo to fail but seems like most happen on deleted trucks. I would have not purchased a deleted and modified truck if I would have known the turbo would go bad or was bad....lesson learned but now I’m paying for not driving it much longer.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,177 Posts
Actually, federal law prohibits them from selling the vehicle in the shape you purchased it in. dealers are required by law to reinstall any emissions equipment that is missing from a vehicle prior to sale, or risk violating the clean air act. if they knowingly sold you a vehicle that has been tampered with they are liable, and should be required to bring the vehicle back into compliance. Furthermore, you state may have a a "buyer's remorse" clause, where you are given a certain number of days to back out of the sale, in Washington state it is 7 days, check your local laws for this. I would waive the clean air act in the dealer's face and get them to at least help with the cost of replacement, in your shoes i would also read through it myself, and get to the exact section that references their obligation, and the penalties and liability.

Things like this are why i do not buy modified vehicles form dealers, they will not stand behind any of it, all they want is your money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, federal law prohibits them from selling the vehicle in the shape you purchased it in. dealers are required by law to reinstall any emissions equipment that is missing from a vehicle prior to sale, or risk violating the clean air act. if they knowingly sold you a vehicle that has been tampered with they are liable, and should be required to bring the vehicle back into compliance. Furthermore, you state may have a a "buyer's remorse" clause, where you are given a certain number of days to back out of the sale, in Washington state it is 7 days, check your local laws for this. I would waive the clean air act in the dealer's face and get them to at least help with the cost of replacement, in your shoes i would also read through it myself, and get to the exact section that references their obligation, and the penalties and liability.

Things like this are why i do not buy modified vehicles form dealers, they will not stand behind any of it, all they want is your money.
It’s been over 30 days now so I know there’s no way out of it now. I tried contacting a lawyer and the lawyer said to try and work with the dealer which I tried to and of course they just had me reset the truck to factory via the tuner and load the modified tunes again and that held the check engine light off for about 2hrs of driving which is probably what they did when they sold it to me...so I’m sure they knew it was having issues. I’ll look into the clean air act and see if there’s anything I can try and do though.

As you mentioned all they want is your money so of course they don’t want to do anything the right way or be honest these days...it’s really sad because I could have went to the dodge dealer and for what I’m going to pay to fix it I could have had a new one...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ah don't sweat it man. The new one you could have had won't be as fun as the truck you are about to have with a 2nd gen swap.

If I may, get yourself a clutch. No offense but it's silly to go through this extensive upgrade process and stick with the DMF.

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
This isn't the place to cheap out. You spent a lot of hard earned money on the truck don't cheap out on mods. I have the source auto s464 kit and absolutely love it. You will also need a clutch shortly after you swap the turbo unless you can control your right foot. If money is tight find a used take off for relatively cheap and go from there. Injectors shouldn't need done for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I just put on a BD IH kit/ebrake for $2619, July 4 sale. There might be another holiday sale on Labor Day. IDK what the hp limit is for sxe 3xx but it's not too shabby. You can put all your money into the turbo/manifold if you don't care about the ebrake. Craig

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just put on a BD IH kit/ebrake for $2619, July 4 sale. There might be another holiday sale on Labor Day. IDK what the hp limit is for sxe 3xx but it's not too shabby. You can put all your money into the turbo/manifold if you don't care about the ebrake. Craig
Hows the Iron Horn kit perform? I'm not worried about the exhaust brake as I don't really tow and when I do its a small boat or small trailer. It looks like they all come with a SXE S3XX series turbo. I've read a lot of people say they're too small for the 6.7 but honestly if it performs well then there's nothing wrong with it. The BD website says the SXE S369/80 can handle up to 700HP. I'm sure being the S3XX series it may run hotter but since I'm not towing it may not be that big of an issue and I would then have a little left over in budget to do bigger injector nozzles or clutch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just did a wehrli kit and love it. There's a thread on it not too far below this one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
My IH 363/.91 is flawless. DP is always at least 3psi under boost, egt cooled off from 1500 to 1200, power band really improved especially top end, and response is always great loaded or empty. I was very happy with the trucks lower power tunes so I picked a turbo that I thought would be good for that power. It might have been dumb luck but it worked great and I avoided retuning and it's still fairly trans safe. It also tows my 15k fiver with ease.
I can't find anything wrong with my IH kit but I have no idea what setup you need for 700 hp. Craig

·
Registered
76 Posts

Was that really necessary? This kind of rhetoric is what turns people off about coming to forums and asking questions.

·
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
14,177 Posts
Was that really necessary? This kind of rhetoric is what turns people off about coming to forums and asking questions.
Yes, blatantly blaming the factory and dealer and avoiding accepting the results of your own actions and lack of knowledge is not acceptable. coming to the forum with "Hey, i messed up, this is what is going on" garners and entirely different response then "hey the dealer is hosing me because i had the audacity to modify a brand new truck and explicitly void multiple sections of the warranty, so this is by no means my fault it is all theirs" When you modify a warrantied vehicle, you are responsible for your own actions. Accept your own decisions and any repercussions that stem from your own decisions.

Good job on finding a thread that's several months old, whatever you were looking for you were searching which should be rewarded. So good on you for that. You get a gold star for today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just came across this thread cause I’m researching 2nd Gen swaps and can’t help myself but to say dam dude was just looking for some direction and this obviously no life nick over here is just talking crap when there’s no way to know eaxcatly what happen and that’s not the point of the forum to put people down for things but to be a community of like minded people just trying to enjoy a hobby type thing! I know I’m late but hope homeboy got setup to enjoy his Cummins cause it’s worth all the headache and heartache and wallet break we go thru to hope in and smoke a sports car down the road in a 10k truck! Treat people how you’d want to be treated and if your a dick your whole life your next life is **** so get over yourself! Be kind and be safe!

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Evilfab has a gorgeous 2gen swap available and their quality is top notch. Also, wcfab are my two suggestions. You can use grega10 as a discount code on the evilfab

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.