Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Benefits Of BADP Code Free

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Rovell 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if there are any benefits to having the code free fooler box besides the fact that it gets rid of the check engine light?
The reason that I am asking is because I have the edge which clears the codes on start up anyway and I really don't find it necessary to dish out more money to get a code free box if it does nothing else besides getting rid of the CEL......is it bad to always have that soft code all of the time or what?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
A code free DPF kit doesnt interest me. I will still still get the EGR code so the extra cash is a waste to dish out till there is a code free DPF and EGR kit. My edge clears the codes anyways. I will wait and save my cash. JMO

#7 ·
I agree...waste of money till the fooler box fixes BOTH the dpf delete and the egr delete. I won't be interested in purchasing a fooler box untill it fixes both of these related problems.

#3 ·
The nice thing about codes is that they tell you something could be wrong. If you have a device that clears them constantly, what good are the codes going to do you?

Code free can allow you to see something that deserves your attention, and hide something (like a missing dpf) that someone else doesn't need to know about.

#6 ·
you can still see when new codes are thrown just like comp cowboy said....and i totally agree with jon, i am not going to get it just to have the soft codes cleared because the CEL never shows up anymore anyway....i guess if you didn't have something like the edge to clear the codes and you were bothered that much by the check engine light then it would be good to go with the code free, but other than that I see no other reason to spend the money unless it included the code free egr just like jon mentioned above. thanks for the quick replies guys, this helped a lot.

#4 ·
If you are clearing your codes at start up, this will not prevent new codes from showing up while driving. So you will be able to tell if a new issue comes up or if your engine is having major issues.

#8 ·
Well, I guess you can say the same thing about programmers, why would you waste money on a programmer that can't stop the Regen or delete the EGR. These engines and emissions are new and for those who want to bomb now they are willing to take it one step at a time. I'm sure that eventually there will be a programmer that will delete the EGR, stop the regens, and give you tuning options. The question is just how long do you want to wait?

#9 · (Edited)
i don't think that you have read the above posts all the way through...the egr and dpf problems have been solved basically...most of us already have our dpfs deleted and egrs removed but the current fooler box is not code free and just throws soft codes that do not de-rate the engine....we are discussing if it is even worth dishing out the extra money to get the 2nd gen fooler box that does nothing else but clear the soft codes (just gets rid of the check engine light basically)......i think that you are confused about the subject of this thread and what we are discussing.

#10 ·
I agree code free is worthless unless you have code free EGR delete as well. I can not see how in the world there could be any mileage increase over having soft codes?

#12 ·
Your still going to have to buy all the stuff to replace the exhaust and egr. I have heard that dodge/cummins computers are the hardest to crack and that you may be wishing on something that wont be a reality or at least a reality any time soon. The stuff we are doing now is a reality already. So what good is harping about that going to do. That may be why you get shut down?

#13 ·
gbutia i was trying to inform the other member that what he was talking about had nothing at all to do with what we were discussing in this thread....i was just asking if there was any other benefit to having the code free kit other than not throwing the soft codes. This had nothing to do with programmers that allow you to disable the dpf or any other part of the emissions....that isn't even remotely close to what was being discussed. not trying to be a hard @ss or anything i am just trying to keep this thread on track with the subject matter instead of having it stray off into something else like some of the other threads do.

#15 ·
I agree code free is worthless unless you have code free EGR delete as well. I can not see how in the world there could be any mileage increase over having soft codes?
maybe shorter idle time since you don't have to wait for edge to clear the codes? a little humor but maybe true.

#17 ·
The truck isnt idleing or running when you clear codes because the truck has to be off in order to clear them. You have the key turned to clicks but not starting it till the codes are clear. I always start my truck with the remote start. By the time I walk to my truck it has cleared the codes and started up. JMO

#16 ·
The fuel mileage has to do with get dpf full measage too.

#19 ·
i don't think that anybody even gets the dpf full message anymore....at least I don't so that would have nothing to do with mileage.

#18 ·
joniemeyer,

what kind of remote start do you have. im looking for a relatively inexpensive one but dont want it to suck either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.