Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here.

I just bought an 01 2500 quad cab automatic long bed with 167K on the odometer and herd the belt squeal right off the bat. I just fixed that issue in the 01 1500 i traded in so i thought "no problem."

Well i just replaced the tensioner pulley and put a gates belt on and i'm still hearing the squeal. it's more like a constant chirp when i'm accelerating, never at idle. it fluctuates with the RPM's.

I told the dealership to look at it before i signed the papers and they said nothing was wrong, and a couple of my Cummins savvy friends aren't too sure what to think. :confused013: Please give a newbie a hand. Thanks all!

Brandon

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Look at tensioner with engine running. Is the belt running fully on pulley or is edge slightly off the pulley???
Look at alternator mount for wallowed out mounting hole..
Look at AC compressor and see if any alignment or pully wobbling is present.
Put water on belt and see if problem goes away for a few minutes.
One of the pulleys may have some damage in a groove. Look carefully and run a hacksaw blade around the grooves.
Look for other alignment issues with all pulleys.
There should be relief in one of the procedures in finding the problem..

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Look at tensioner with engine running. Is the belt running fully on pulley or is edge slightly off the pulley???
Look at alternator mount for wallowed out mounting hole..
Look at AC compressor and see if any alignment or pully wobbling is present.
Put water on belt and see if problem goes away for a few minutes.
One of the pulleys may have some damage in a groove. Look carefully and run a hacksaw blade around the grooves.
Look for other alignment issues with all pulleys.
There should be relief in one of the procedures in finding the problem..

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would take the belt off again and see if all the pulleys spin freely, maybe one is freezing up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Words for the wise: count your exhaust manifold bolts. two missing bolts on the rear cylinder manifold equals funny noise to be mistaken for squeaky belt. now i gotta wait till Thursday for the parts to come in. Hopefully nothing got warped or blown gasket.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm not saying this will solve your problem...just my experience. When I bought my truck I replaced the belt with a gates. It ran for about a month and then started to chirp at idle. I checked the tensioner, pulleys, etc. and found nothing wrong. Installed a new gates belt and the chirp stopped for about a month. I tried a Goodyear gatorback belt and haven't heard a chirp in years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already did the belt and tensioner...it's an exhaust leak that i was hearing and mistaking it for a belt issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So adding in the 2 bolts/spacers for #6 definately fixed the noise issue. I'm just glad the manifold wasn't warped. Now on to Intake/Exhaust mods!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts