Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like to use the "high idle" feature when I'm going to be idling for extended periods of time. The higher revs help put more oil thru turbo to keep it better lubricated. To use the high idle, turn your cruise control on, while in park just hit the set button to activate the cruise control as if you were driving on the freeway. The engine RPM's should increase a little. to deactivate, just step on the break peddle.

·
Registered
15,795 Posts
I like to use the "high idle" feature when I'm going to be idling for extended periods of time.
Me too. While I close the garage door.
No wonder it has racked up 10 hours in 17,300 miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If the batteries on the TT are not fully charged
QUESTION: Was idling my truck in sub freezing temperatures doing severe damage to my engine / parts?

QUESTION BACKGROUND:
My truck is a new 2020 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel engine. Currently my wife and I are pulling a large travel trailer and we were caught in a snow storm at night where we had to pull off the road. Because it was too cold (25*F) and we could not warm the travel trailer, we both decided to sleep in the truck. As a result we kept the truck idling for 5 hours and over that time the engine changed sounds multiple times. The truck’s Coolant Temp fluxed between 167*F - 210*F, Trans Temp stayed 167*F, Oil Temp 178*F - 213*F, and Oil Pressure between 20psi - 40psi.

Is this something I want to avoid doing in the future or can my truck’s engine handle it?
I once talked to guy that transported RVs for Horizon, I was there for service on my Grand Design and he had his truck idling in the service bay. I asked him how often he idled and he told me he never shuts it off waiting on loads and or fueling etc....pretty much idles when stopped unless he was sleeping. His theory was that guys who stop and start the truck all the time risked not havng the truck start at some point stranding them. He had a 2018 with over 200K and neve had an issue.

As for the TT, you should have been ale to run the furnace off the batteries and propane. Might have taken a bit to heat up but you should have been able to sleep comfortably in the trailer.

Reactions: 09W3500

·
Registered
240 Posts
Idling isn't doing severe damage to anything. It's not the best practice for turbo engines or large diesels, but it's leagues better than excessively starting and stopping the engine. The big thing to worry about with newer CTDs is additional buildup on the turbo and in the emissions systems, but that's still not a huge deal since you're using the truck as a truck.

over that time the engine changed sounds multiple times.
That's just the engine adjusting its idle to balance keeping itself warm and avoid excessive fouling in the exhaust. Bunch of nerds have been tweaking and improving these types of engines over the years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good to know, since mine's up to 3.3% idle hours now.
Something to keep in mind is that how well that statement holds up depends on engine design and age. Older engines and brand new engines won't like excessive idling, but for the most part, the 24v and 6.7s won't be hurt by it.

One will want to run something like SeaFoam cleaner if the cylinders do glaze, but for most people, it's not going to be an issue and glazing seldom results in permanent damage.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that how well that statement holds up depends on engine design and age. Older engines and brand new engines won't like excessive idling, but for the most part, the 24v and 6.7s won't be hurt by it.

One will want to run something like SeaFoam cleaner if the cylinders do glaze, but for most people, it's not going to be an issue and glazing seldom results in permanent damage.
How would seafoam fix glazed cylinders?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glazing is permanent damage lol no amount of heating or beating will cure it.
No, glazing is carbon contaminated oil residue creating a hard coat on cylinder walls and often prevents piston rings from sealing correctly.

Burnishing is permanent damage to the cylinder.

·
Registered
240 Posts
"Maybe" more likely not.
How effective it is depends on how effective an engine cleaner is in general and how glazed over the cylinders are. SeaFoam's engine cleaner is a pretty good one and getting results on glazed engines isn't remotely unheard of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just idle up to prevent oil loss for cylinder lubrication and fuel build-up.
(Cruise on, hit set while in park, use the + and - for the rpm)
It will be fine. Some hotshot guys idle for 10hrs or more.
some Rams have to be dealer programed in order to use that feature.

·
Registered
15,795 Posts
Or do it yourself with AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
one company I was with in the early 2000's did work in upper michigan in the winter, the trucks idled all winter.
No issues, no VP 44's died, no engines blew up

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
11 Posts
some Rams have to be dealer programed in order to use that feature.
I'm not saying youre wrong with that, but i am saying the 2016 SLT, 2017 BigHorn/LoneStar, and my 2018 BigHHorn/LoneStar all have the feature. On the 2500s maybe. The 3500s and up come with it. 4th gens dating back to 2011 came with it already enabled on the automatic trucks. Not sure about the manuals.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My 2007.5 had the same high idle feature as my 18 does, also why don,t you leave your furnace on while your driving if its that cold. Just remember to shut it off when fueling thats what we have always done.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
my 2002 idles up automagically at a certain temp and if it really cold it starts and runs on 3 cylinders to warm up faster. That is a funny sound. I never get to hear either though, park in a climate controlled shop. My shop is detached so I have to walk to it in the cold.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts