Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but what is the behr heat transfer system I was blowing out my trans lines to clean them and noticed one was noticeably harder. Traced the line to ta cylinder labeled behr heat transfer system... is this just another way to cool thetrans fluid or is it a pump?? Should I look into replacing it before I hook up my new trans I don't want any contaminated fluid.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Are you talking about the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the motor?
That is a fluid-fluid cooler for the trans, its helps it warm in cold climates, and cools better then fluid-air coolers......
There is a anti siphon valve in one of the lines, which could be why its a little restrictive. Unless you have water/coolant mixing with your ATF it is fine and don't worry. Some people do remove the little ball in the siphon valve to free up some flow.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you talking about the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the motor?
That is a fluid-fluid cooler for the trans, its helps it warm in cold climates, and cools better then fluid-air coolers......
There is a anti siphon valve in one of the lines, which could be why its a little restrictive. Unless you have water/coolant mixing with your ATF it is fine and don't worry. Some people do remove the little ball in the siphon valve to free up some flow.
Is there a replacement part for this, it is unavailable at the dealership. Mine is leaking trans fluid.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Check with American Cooling Solutions - they used to have a unit (20281) that fit our trucks (Conditional disclaimer here about the 20281 fittings - see post #29). The 20281 doesn't seem to be listed anymore, so call or email ACS, and see if they still have a unit that fits. The closest thing I could find on their site now is the 23995, which is listed for '98-'02 models, but the coolant nipples are located differently (both on the same end, instead of opposite ends like the original) - you might be able to make that work by rework of the coolant hoses, if you're up for the challenge. I think I saw somewhere on here that the OE unit is still available from Behr - do a forum search or get the part # off your unit and google search. Otherwise, search the classifieds section or put an ad in. And/Or search Craiglist and salvage yards, also car-part.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check with American Cooling Solutions - they used to have a unit (20281) that fit our trucks (Conditional disclaimer here about the 20281 fittings - see post #29). The 20281 doesn't seem to be listed anymore, so call or email ACS, and see if they still have a unit that fits. The closest thing I could find on their site now is the 23995, which is listed for '98-'02 models, but the coolant nipples are located differently (both on the same end, instead of opposite ends like the original) - you might be able to make that work by rework of the coolant hoses, if you're up for the challenge. I think I saw somewhere on here that the OE unit is still available from Behr - do a forum search or get the part # off your unit and google search. Otherwise, search the classifieds section or put an ad in. And/Or search Craiglist and salvage yards, also car-part.com.
Thank You so much, for the information! I have seen some on eBay, Was also going to see if I could match it up to a marine cooler that had a similar shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts