Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been looking to try to find a list of mods that actually helps increase mpg and I think that it would be a great addition to the FAQ. I know that at least for me, I would like to squeeze out as many mpg as I can. I'm no hypermiller, I just want to make the truck as efficient as possible and if a few mods can help than I'll do them. The only thing that I could find was Diesel Database :: Tips And Tricks For Better Fuel Economy but there has to be more mods and advice that people have. I haven't gotten a truck yet but will be getting one after I get back to the states. I am going to be modding the truck for longevity and fuel mileage since it will only be towing a maximum 6k lbs (at least 3 days a week in the mountains though). I'm not looking to gain a whole bunch of hp, just to get as many miles out of the truck as I can with the best fuel economy possible. I don't think I will need to increase hp for a 6k lb load. I was going to post a thread but before I clutter the board I thought that I'd post it up here.

·
4,002 Posts
I've been looking to try to find a list of mods that actually helps increase mpg and I think that it would be a great addition to the FAQ. I know that at least for me, I would like to squeeze out as many mpg as I can. I'm no hypermiller, I just want to make the truck as efficient as possible and if a few mods can help than I'll do them. The only thing that I could find was Diesel Database :: Tips And Tricks For Better Fuel Economy but there has to be more mods and advice that people have. I haven't gotten a truck yet but will be getting one after I get back to the states. I am going to be modding the truck for longevity and fuel mileage since it will only be towing a maximum 6k lbs (at least 3 days a week in the mountains though). I'm not looking to gain a whole bunch of hp, just to get as many miles out of the truck as I can with the best fuel economy possible. I don't think I will need to increase hp for a 6k lb load. I was going to post a thread but before I clutter the board I thought that I'd post it up here.
first thing to do would be to fill out your sig

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
99.9 % of the time that's the right answer, but dude has no truck to speak of yet :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
lol...yea I won't be getting one till I get back to the states so I guess I'll wait until I pick one up before I start thinking about the mods. In an Ideal world I'll be picking up a 1997 ram 2500 12V, quadcab, manual that is bone stock. I don't know if I'm going to go 2wd or 4wd since idk how much of a fuel mileage difference it makes but I'll probably go with the 2wd since I stick to the pavement most of the time. Modding with fuel mileage, longevity in mind and only towing 6k lbs. The only purposes of it are to be my dd and towing 6k max. three days a week, possibly more.

35 Posts
WOW!! This is great stuff!! I pretty much knew all the general stuff here from obsessively reading Diesel Power mag, talking to other Cummins guys, and talking to diesel shops, but having it all here is amazing!! The tech articles, diagrams, and links are awesome!

I just wanted to say thats for putting this together guys!

Thanks,

Garrett

·
Registered
1 Posts
1998 3500 laramie slt 5.9L 12-valve cummins turbo diesel nv4500 5 speed manual 4x4 3.73 gears extend cab short bed 4in pipe alway the way back with a 6 in tip it has 200 hp injectors laser cut deliver valves aurora 5000 turbo head studs bigger pistons and bigger crank also has a exaust brake and water methonl and propane injection also has 5k spring afe intake i had it dynoed it has 741 hp and 1296ft-lb tq

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Honestly you should start your own thread about this, this thread is meant really only for the first post, and any subsequent feedback about its content. You'll get a lot more out in the forum...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks for all the information. I've just joined and already learned more in a few hours than i have owning my truck for 5 years. Yeah i'm a newbie....

·
Registered
41 Posts
So im curious 12V..... is there a bolt on the HX35 that i can adjust to give myself a little more boost? i AM stock minus a K&N drop in and a 4 inch downpipe and exhaust... i need my muffler to "fall off" lol

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So im curious 12V..... is there a bolt on the HX35 that i can adjust to give myself a little more boost? i AM stock minus a K&N drop in and a 4 inch downpipe and exhaust... i need my muffler to "fall off" lol
No bolt, but you need some kind of "boost elbow" or "boost fitting" as explained in the first post in this thread.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.