Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So other than the tranny being unhappy, what should I know about getting a Smarty before buying one? I know they're pretty great, but which tune should I run on it and all sorts of good stuff?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
So other than the tranny being unhappy, what should I know about getting a Smarty before buying one? I know they're pretty great, but which tune should I run on it and all sorts of good stuff?
You should buy a fass 150/150 or similar lift pump, tranny, exhaust, and run it on an odd number, the higher the number the higher the power. (odd adds timing=good)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
SW9 all the way! 170hp haha can you say bye bye tranny! my buddy ran his on the 90hp setting on stock tranny for a while and it held up

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I'm not looking to run 11s quarters, I just want some more power and I know the smarty is the way to go for that. Ive got an exhaust coming too and a set of gauges going in this weekend. Lift pump eventually, but nothing for right now.

I know odd numbers are good cause I dont have anything else adding timing. But i was wondering which beta or revo or anything like that

·
WYOMING CHAPTER VP
1,450 Posts
SW9 all the way! 170hp haha can you say bye bye tranny! my buddy ran his on the 90hp setting on stock tranny for a while and it held up
My buddy has ran smarty on lvl9, beta 4.4, tnt on 7, and now runs crazy larry and has NEVER had a problem with his stock tranny, i wouldn't recommend it but he has 0 problems and 32,000 miles:shock::shock:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
My buddy has ran smarty on lvl9, beta 4.4, tnt on 7, and now runs crazy larry and has NEVER had a problem with his stock tranny, i wouldn't recommend it but he has 0 problems and 32,000 miles:shock::shock:
I'd say that is a VERY VERY unique and rare situation.

·
Registered
253 Posts
do u have an early 04 or 04.5 run revo till u get billet trans

early 04 with billet trans beta 4.2

04.5 with billet trans tnt

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I also doubt he will put many more miles on that transmission if he utilizes the torque management feature.

·
Registered
123 Posts
ive been running my truck stacked with edge w/ att and smarty on catcher #5 since stock. no problems..... got 36k on it now. lucky??

·
Registered
48 Posts
ive been running my truck stacked with edge w/ att and smarty on catcher #5 since stock. no problems..... got 36k on it now. lucky??
I think I've seen your truck around. . . custom red paint/powder coat on the suspension parts? If so, VERY nice!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
ya thats it. going to be in may issue of 8-lug mag

·
Registered
48 Posts
ya thats it. going to be in may issue of 8-lug mag
Congrats!!! I've seen it in another mag as well, can't remember which. You should fill out your signature so people know all that you've done to that thing.

I'll wave if I see you around-
Brandon

·
Registered
305 Posts
Lucky? No.. Plenty of them hold up for a while. You are living on borrowed time though. I ripped my stock flex-plate outta the truck with just the Edge Juice (non hot) and broke and output shaft with just the Smarty running around on 9 playing. The TC lockup clutch would slip in O/D on the freeway at will on level 4 or 5 Edge. That was with 5k miles on the truck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The odd numbers with get you the advertised HP with timing added, the even numbers get you the advertised HP with duration. If you have TNT, you an add timing to the even numbers and have a more powerful tune than the odd number tunes.

Be careful with TNT timing, though. The odd number tunes run max timing (around 21*). Adding pressure to these tunes can increase timing 3* to 8*. That's head gasket blowing and piston melting timing, boys. Be careful with those odd number tunes!

More info...

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-performance-parts-discussion/127480-smarty-timing-broken-down.html

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd say that is a VERY VERY unique and rare situation.
I don't know how rare it is. My truck still has the stock tranny and I have everything on it that's in my sig. and it is running just fine. Has 68,000 miles on it. These transmission are not as weak as everyone thinks. I think it is hit or miss on trucks and it depends on how you drive as well. If you are going around trying to do boosted launchs and stuff like that the tranny will go. I'm sure in due time mine will be gone but I am getting a full billet goerend as soon as the stocker lets go!!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats more what I want to know. I didnt want to turn this into a pissing match about stock trannys (I know running anything on a stock slushbox isnt a great idea). I want to know more what the differences between the Smarty tunes are...

Revo v. TNT v. 4.2 v. 4.11? What makes each one special and which should I run on an early 04

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats more what I want to know. I didnt want to turn this into a pissing match about stock trannys (I know running anything on a stock slushbox isnt a great idea). I want to know more what the differences between the Smarty tunes are...

Revo v. TNT v. 4.2 v. 4.11? What makes each one special and which should I run on an early 04
I ran the Revo on mine for the longest time and it ran really good. I kept it on 3 and 5. I saw the best fuel mileage on 5 so that's where I left it most of the time. The main thing if you don't want to do anything to your tranny and to make it last is set it on 5 and control the power with the right foot! If you aren't looking to make a lot of horsepower and more just for mileage and a little extra power then I think BBRam is right in going with the Smarty Jr.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts