Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am a newbie in the diesel world trying to learn as much as I can through research but I have found a truck I really like and I have a few questions, first here is the CL ad:
03 dodge cummins h.o. 6 speed, 145,000 miles, 4x4 works great. Leveled, 20x9 fuel hostage wheels wrapped in 35 inch nitto trail grapplers with 90 percent tread left. Great running truck.
Here is a few extras:
64mm silver bullet turbo
Banks high ram
Smarty TNT tuned
Fass fuel system
Valiar single disc clutch
Intake
5 inch straight Mbrp exhaust
7 inch tip
3 pod gauges
19-24mpg

I will not be racing or towing with this truck. Its going to be my "weekend" truck and will be driven maybe 7-8k miles per year.
My Questions:
1. The seller said his diesel mechanic recommended but said its not necessary, but getting 100hp nozzles (not injectors) would help the it run smoother because it is getting an unbalanced amount of air compared to fuel. Does this sound correct? Any damage that could have occured up to this point from to much air? i.e. high egt's?
If I do decide to do that, is it wise to go with nozzles or should I go all the way with injectors? I think all I can afford would be the nozzles unless I wait a year.

2. Most 6speed trucks I've found have Southbend Dual clutch installed. How does this Valiar clutch compare? Better, worse, same?

3. He says the Fass Fuel is annoyingly noisy until you get used to it. Is this normal?

4. I don't know anything about turbos...is this a good one to have?

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
would help the it run smoother because it is getting an unbalanced amount of air compared to fuel
WHAT?!

Running rough because an unbalanced amount of air compared to fuel?

No effin way

:zot::zot:

·
Registered
825 Posts
yea that sounds like a load of bull

·
First World Problems!
2,534 Posts
Dont be too surprised if that not so smooth running is the injectors needing to be completely replaced and he wants you to think it needs an upgrade instead of an expensive repair....

·
Registered
692 Posts
This is a case of looks over practical. Truck looks great but if that is what was told to you , I would run because there could be more than just injectors..... Why is he selling ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd say it all depends on the price.

Also, call his mechanic. But I've never heard of "could use bigger injectors/nozzles". Just like a gas engine...if you don't have enough injector you're leaning out and then "BOOM"
There goes a motor.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This is not a jab at the OP but being uninformed about the vehicles we look at purchasing always leaves a person open to being fed a line of bull. We all have that point where we run out of knowledge about the truck and then are in uncharted territory. It's fun though when you know more than the seller and he gives you a line like this unbalanced air crap. The look on their faces when you straight up call them out on their bullshizzle is priceless. Usually it only takes once and the rest of the deal is on the level.

OP, that is a very sharp looking truck and I would definitely look into it further. Black with a 6 speed is a great combo. If it is running rough at idle there are a couple wires by the oil filter that run to the a/c compressor. Those two wires tend to rub bare due to their routing. There is a thirty some page thread on here regarding those wires messing with the (iiirc) nominal 5v the ECM needs to see at all times. If that voltage is screwed up, all kinds of erratic behavior shows up including.....wait for it.....rough idle. It could be something as simple as that. Or it could be a set of injectors. Either way, I would play it up like it's injectors and beat the guy down on the price of the truck to help offset the cost of new injectors. If it just takes some electrical tape and wire loom to fix it, then hey bonus for you.
Valair makes a damn good clutch. You won't be disappointed in it. Keep in mind it's getting tougher to find clean third generation trucks with the 5.9. The newest of them is now seven years old. Almost all of them you find will need something due to age and mileage. If the price is right then its still worth jumping into.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,806 Posts
I'd say it all depends on the price.

Also, call his mechanic. But I've never heard of "could use bigger injectors/nozzles". Just like a gas engine...if you don't have enough injector you're leaning out and then "BOOM"
There goes a motor.
diesels don't lean out like a gas motor, they fire off compression not spark. over fueling is the killer or no fuel which scores a cylinder

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Just like a gas engine...if you don't have enough injector you're leaning out and then "BOOM"
There goes a motor.

Thats not true, you can run super lean and have no problems on a diesel. Maybe stop running if you ran it that lean.

Op he probably has bad injectors in truck which will cost a few thousand to repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge. Learn something new everyday ��

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just recently was having a similar problem, and 2 months ago I got my injectors replaced with dieselogics remain injector deal for 1150$ for a set. truck runs great now. if that dude told u it needs new nozzels, all that will do is improve the spray pattern... not effect the bad injection timing which sounds like your problem. if you get that truck I would recommend a company named Sniper ( heard a few good things bout them) but I haven't had experience with them, ive used dieselogic ( 50 year company) maybe call them and they'll tell you whats wrong with the truck before you buy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.