Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a tuner from H&S, the mini maxx to be exact, but I am wondering if I should beef up the tranny first before I unleash an extra 120-175 horse depending on removing the DPF.

What do you guys think I should do to make the tranny stronger? Or if I need to beef it up first to begin with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fill out your sig... Auto or manual? :confused013:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I figured it out.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
if it is an auto, it will cost big bucks, but i think head studs would be more importaint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Minimaxx with the DPF removed. I run my truck on the 60hp tune daily with no issues. I turn it up to the 120hp sometimes for fun but am very careful. I have never tried it with the 175hp tune because I am not gonna risk torchin the tranny. If you get a Minimaxx, def get the overdrive software from H&S, its worth every penny. My truck runs 100% better with it. I am going to buy a junked 67RFE here soon and build it when I have the time/money then swap it with my stocker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should I just say screw it and go all out and buy an ATS transmission and torque converter kit instead of rebuilding one?

·
Salty Squid
770 Posts
Save your money, run the truck until you smoke the transmission, then replace it with the money you already have saved up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
suncoast sells theirs for 8400 with a core and 10400 with out a core that is every thing you need :drool2:

·
Registered
683 Posts
is the clutch the weak point of the tranny? Im thinking of getting the southbend 3250.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
is the clutch the weak point of the tranny? Im thinking of getting the southbend 3250.
auto or manual?

if it is a manual then the clutch is always the first thing to upgrade.

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I have a auto.
im not sure where the weak points are on the 68rfe's, they are a world of improvement over the 47re/48re's from the previous generation.

If you stay reletively stock then you will have no problems, but once you start adding hp to these motors the trans are going.

I would call up either Suncoast, or Goerend Bro's and talk to them, i like Goerend Dave is a great guy to talk to and can answer just about any questions you might have.

Reactions: crf120250
1 - 12 of 12 Posts