Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, was looking into coating my rockers on the cummins and the turd, I mean ford:lol3:. I was thinking about buying the herculiner kits that checker sells and was curious if any of you had any prep tips for me, like how much sanding is needed for the coating to bond to my metal? Obviously both trucks have the rockers painted, just wanted to know how much I needed to scuff up the area and how long it takes to set up properly. I would pay to do this but honestly I am pretty handy and don't really want to spend the money so I figured I do it myself......Any tips are greatly appreciated.:beer

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a herculiner in the bed of my 2001 Ranger, and it look bad. It is piling off. It was prep right. It was on bare sand metal. If it was me I would not do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put Herculiner on the inside of a couple of jeep tubs and I was not real impressed. You need to sand the crap out of it to geta good bond especialy in high use area's like door sills. The other problem I had is keeping it clean, it holds dust really bad and you have to preasure wash it to clean it. The texture is so rough you can't wipe it off with a towel or you'll have lint all over it. It's good stuff for an old beater but i would not advise anyone to put it on a nice truck.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have never seen any of that stuff look worth a crap when it is done. It's cheap and will look cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay well sounds like it's not the way to go, sucks..... are all liners crap or just certain ones in your guy's cases? Thanks for all the input.:beer

·
Registered
228 Posts
im really happy with mine however it does hold dirt really bad

·
Registered
846 Posts
Rhino liner and Line-X seem to be what most use. I have a Rhino-Liner in this truck but the truck came with it. It's nice and thick but it has faded some. One nice advantage to haveing a spray-in bed liner is noise reduction.

Sometime take and tap your knuckle up against a pickup bed with out any liner and do the same on a truck with a liner and you'll see what I mean. :popcorn:
:thumbsup

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts

It's dirty right now but I'm totally happy w/ it. It cost, but it amounts to you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i used hurculiner in one of my buggy;s and it held up great.

i scuffed up the factory paint (with clear coat) rolled on 2 coats then used the UV sealer and it held up for teo years of abuse. at one point i had a puddle of brakes fluid on it for abotu a month with no marks, peeling, anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i used hurculiner in one of my buggy;s and it held up great.

i scuffed up the factory paint (with clear coat) rolled on 2 coats then used the UV sealer and it held up for teo years of abuse. at one point i had a puddle of brakes fluid on it for abotu a month with no marks, peeling, anything.
Okay that's the question I was going to ask next was if anyone used the uv sealer or not? Did you use two coats of uv sealer when you did yours? :thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rhino liner and Line-X seem to be what most use. I have a Rhino-Liner in this truck but the truck came with it. It's nice and thick but it has faded some. One nice advantage to haveing a spray-in bed liner is noise reduction.

Sometime take and tap your knuckle up against a pickup bed with out any liner and do the same on a truck with a liner and you'll see what I mean. :popcorn:
:thumbsup
I agree with you completetly, my boss has a blue 04.5 2500 and he had his bed color matched with rhino lining, looks really really good. It's just that the local shop that used to spray these liners on sold all their equipment and I figured might as well try this route before I have to drive to phoenix about two hours away, plus the big ford would never make that trip anyway, 50" of lift and the interstate don't mix that well.:lol3::thud:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Okay that's the question I was going to ask next was if anyone used the uv sealer or not? Did you use two coats of uv sealer when you did yours? :thumbsup

2 coats of everything. :woot:

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself, be sure to get two or three times as many applicators as you would think that you need. You will get best results is you swap to new rollers and brushes OFTEN.. You will see what I mean once you get started. That stuff really starts to clump up. The "kit" does not come with nearly as many as you really need.

I have done it on the floor in a couple of my Jeeps. The results have varied and get better each time. However, it is not really that durable. I have pleny of scratches and scuffs in it.

And for the record, I wouldnt even consider putting that crap in the bed of my truck. Even it looks good right when you are done, you can be assured that it will look like crap in a couple of years. I reccomend saving up (or whatever it takes) and get a Line-X liner. They look 100 times better, are tough as nails, and will last forever...

·
Banned
393 Posts
He aint lyin!!!!! im a blacksmith, and used to carry a portable forge in the back of my truck, underneath the forge gets up to about 300 degrees, and it never changed. I herculined the tounge of my trailer, and 2 weeks later it was chipped almost nearly all off. Little bits of road debree was like sand paper. Also my fiance was unhooking our gooseneck horsetrailer, and didnt raise it up high enough, the 15,000lbs trailer tongue fell on my truck bed, and it barely dented it, and didnt even scratch the shiny Line-X liner. 4 years later and it still looks new.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself, be sure to get two or three times as many applicators as you would think that you need. You will get best results is you swap to new rollers and brushes OFTEN.. You will see what I mean once you get started. That stuff really starts to clump up. The "kit" does not come with nearly as many as you really need.

I have done it on the floor in a couple of my Jeeps. The results have varied and get better each time. However, it is not really that durable. I have pleny of scratches and scuffs in it.

And for the record, I wouldnt even consider putting that crap in the bed of my truck. Even it looks good right when you are done, you can be assured that it will look like crap in a couple of years. I reccomend saving up (or whatever it takes) and get a Line-X liner. They look 100 times better, are tough as nails, and will last forever...
Don't forget it smells good too, lol.. :hyper:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts