Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bed rail caps have come loose from the bed and am looking for the best way to reatach them. has anyone had this experience and what was you solution?
I have heard of "butyl tape" but not sure if this is slang or a brand of 3M.
Thanks,
David

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
Not sure about the Butyl tape, but I know that the regular 3M tape, is pretty tough. Just make sure you clean the attaching surfaces really good, before you try to re attach the rails.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have two different types of 3M brand tape to play with. I hear the key is to clean both surfaces well with isopropyl alcohol first. I do use the same cleaning solvent before attaching vinyl letters or graphics to vehicles, trailers, boats,...etc.

·
EAST TEXAS VP
3,435 Posts
You got it man, and that should work out good for you. Good luck on getting the caps reattached.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I had MOPAR diamond plate caps on my 07 and now have the MOPAR black plastic caps on the 08. I followed the instructions closely when installing them and neither set has stayed on without issues. It seems that the 3M tape is so thin now and has no flexibility like it did years ago and I believe that is part of the problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts