Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bed Patches & Tail Gate Hinges??

5K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  flyballer15 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 1990 W250. I got it cheap, but it has some cosmetic issues. The previous owner left about 500 lbs of fertilizer in the bed for 3 years, which has led to some pretty bad rot issues. Does anyone know a place to buy bed floor patch panels for these model years of trucks? Also does anyone know where I can get the tailgate hinges (trunnion is the technical term I think)? Mine have dissolved so I'm not even sure what they originally looked like.

#4 ·
Those tail gate pivot points are not bolt on. They are a welded assy. A piece of 3/4 pipe makes a good replacement. The plate that is welded onto the bed is pretty heavy.

Like Shainer said. If the bed is that far gone a replacement bed might be a better option. I know it would be a faster option. Doing a bed floor and rebuilding the tailgate pivots is going to take time.

#7 ·
I agree it probably would be easier to just replace the bed all together, although I thought I could use this as an opportunity to practice my welding skills. Are each of the hinges shaped the same? I know on my dad's GMC one hinge is oblong to allow removal of the tailgate.

#5 ·
Its about a 4 x 3 foot rusted area. The fertilizer was in bags on a palate, so it stopped most of it from corroding through, but not near the tailgate/rear bed area. I found these on ebay, eBay Motors: RUST REPAIR PANEL FOR FORD TRUCK BED FLOOR 1980 TO 1996 (item 380089414654 end time Apr-10-09 16:36:33 PDT)
but do you guys thing that panels custom fit for a Chevy or Ford would fit on a Dodge or would it take alot of modification to the ridges of the panels to make them line up?
I checked J.C.Whitney, the ones on ebay are 10 bucks cheaper. Not sure if its the same quality.

#10 ·
but do you guys thing that panels custom fit for a Chevy or Ford would fit on a Dodge or would it take alot of modification to the ridges of the panels to make them line up?
I checked J.C.Whitney, the ones on ebay are 10 bucks cheaper. Not sure if its the same quality.
I could never figure out if they were different or not. I'm actually leaning towards them being the same. If they are not the same don't try to use them. There is no way you are going to be able to re-bend them to get some sort of alignment.

#6 ·
I bet the ribs are different spacing. The fastest way to find out is find a truck that year range it is listed for. Then measure the rib spacing.

#8 ·
One side is oblong. But a rounded one will work. I did a buddies W250 a few years back.

#9 ·
I'm rebuilding my 1 st generation right now and I'm going to rebuild the gate on mine. One end is round and the other is oblong like you said.......small job to replace them....if you have a mig it's cheaper to fabricate them yourself dude......in my opinion..

#11 ·
Anybody have a pic of what the hinge looks like? I don't know anyone around here with a 1st gen. I think I'll take Philip's advice and measure some ridges of other trucks and see how they compare. I'll update with what I find out.

BTW.. This forum is great, I've had the truck for a month and learned more in the last week about it than I found anywhere else on the net in the three weeks prior. Thanks to all that have helped!

#12 ·
Here's a link to dodge aftermarket panels up here in Canada if it helps.......I buy from these guys and everything that I recieved was A 1.........they have the right and left hand side for your truck bed !

#17 ·
here's one side of the tailgate but I can't get the other side pic cause it's froze in the ice.........but there's a slot cut in the pipe on the other side for easy drop in.....hope this helps ya dude ! :thumbsup:

#18 ·
haha.. that would be awesome help, except there are no pictures there... I'm assuming that's my fault since I'm a newbie, what to I need to do to view them? Even though I can't see the pics yet, thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.