Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bed Liner

7K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mcnamara0851 
#1 ·
I am wanting to put a liner on the bed of my truck. Funds tend to limit my choices to something that I can do myself. I have seen Dupli-color, and Herculiner at the local O'Reilly's. I have heard about Al's spray on also. My compressor will not put out enough air for the Al's spray gun, limiting me to something that I can brush or roll on. :confused013:

Thanks.

#2 ·
My expirence with Herculiner, not 100% sure on it was that brand, was horrible. I to decided to buy it on sale at the local auto parts store also, decided to use it in the bed and floor board of our fairly new Kawasaki Mule before doing the truck. Glad I did. I followed every step to prep the area, sanded off the paint, acetone, the whole nine yards, not to mention im pretty picky with my prep work. It says to apply it twice, ended up doing it 4 times within 24 hours. Then I let it set about a week before I let it out of the garage. I ended up not really using the bed for about a month but the first load of fire wood started to wear it off. Needless to say the truck was sprayed on. idk maybe I messed up somewhere but might just be the brand to.

#3 ·
You can roll on Al's liner, just mix it up a quart at a time to give you time in application. Also, you could rent a compressor from a tool rental place that could give you the air power. I just bought a couple gals of Al's liner, plan to color match it, I will roll/brush some of it to make sure all cracks/crevaces are coated well, then spray the rest. You really need a good warm day with low humidity to do this stuff, a good fan, and of course good ventillation if you are not outside in the sun. One of those paint heat lamps is good to have as well. If it is mixed right, surface prep is done right, it should be rather flawless and easy to do.

CD

#4 ·

I wouldn't touch duplicolor with a 100 ft stick. That's after a year of letting it flake off and one good powerwashing before we spent 8 hrs scraping it out of there and off my rockers. I'd save money and a HUGE pain and just do it right the first time.

#5 ·
Here is my bedliner that I did, I bought a bedliner gun and sprayed herculiner.

Before

After

#7 ·
hmm maybe it will hold up better sprayed on but we had the same problem rolling on herculiner on 2 trailers at work, just didnt work, wouldnt stick and it came off easy.

-Jordan-

#8 ·
The spray on is better, I sprayed with the rattle can on my rockers and it held up much better. Still faded quick and chipped easy. I'd stay away from the Duplicolor brand of it but I can't speak for the others. I would imagine spraying on anything would stick better. Also, I learned the hard way that even with bedliner, prep is everything. I got in a hurry and got excited to get it done and I didn't take my time like I should have.

#10 ·
x2 on linex had it on my front bumper for almost 2 years now and it still looks brand new.

-Jordan-

#11 ·
Im thinking about having a guy spray Scorpion Liner. It wont cost me anything since I know the guy and traded him a utility bed off my 1ton. The bedliner was part of the deal so anyone have any opinions on Scropion Liner before I get it done?

#14 ·
I have a small shop. full compressor and all. Where would I get the gun to spray the liner with? I searched around but the few that I found were out of stock or on backorder.

#20 ·
I read on another thread about Al's liner that two guys used a spray gun from Harbor Freight, Item # 66103 with good results.

Send a PM to Arnie on here...you can buy through him and save 15%!

#16 ·
Hah sounds like a plan. I will check my local store and see if they have any.

Thanks for the info :)

G
#17 ·
Go to home depo and buy rustoleum flat black and paly sand. Mix in a paint tray and roll on. It gives you the same look as a spray on but only a quarter of the price. Depending on how hard you use your bed it should last quite a while.

#21 ·
Send me your phone number and ill text some pictures of my rockers and bumpers I litterally just finished but I couldn't be happier. I used als liner sprayed on. It would be worth it to find a compressor to rent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.