Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice before selecting a bed liner for my new truck. What are the pros and cons?
I'll be hauling things like gravel & building materials as well as luggage and the odd bleeding animal (not necessarily all at the same time)

Thanx

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
A draw back to the spray in is that they can dent.. The slip in's don't. The slip in's are half the cost.

Some will tell you about your bed rusting out...Hmm Dad has an 87 Chevy that has a slip in since day one..21 years later it is still almost like new. no rust.. no dents.

Some will say that the slip will scratch your bed. Yea it will, but when they spray the spray in bed liner in they will scracth you paint also via sanding because it has to be ruffed up for it to stick.

So imo.... I would dl the slip in, use it till you don't want to anymore and then hav eth espray in put in. It has to be scractched anyways....

·
Registered
679 Posts
So you'd rather pay for two then do it right the first time? Get a linex liner, lifetime guarantee and there rough so things dont go sliding around back there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recently just pulled out my factory drop in and got it sprayed by Line-X. In just one years time the drop in did rub through the paint in several places. Biggest problem I had with the drop in is that stuff easily slid all over the bed, nothing slides with Line-X.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have linex in my truck and I think it was a huge waste of money personally. When I first got it done, less than a year ago. I was told by a linex worker that it came with a lifetime warrenty and that they would fix rips and stuff but it should happen. Ive ripped two huge chunks out of it and when I went to have it fixed they wanted to charge me to redo it.

·
Premium Member
7,002 Posts
I have had Rhino Linings on my past 3-4 trucks. My brother and father also have Rhino Linings on their trucks.

All of us have experiences tears and chips coming out of the Rhino Linings.

Plus, I have never seen a straight line or correctly beveled edge on a Rhino Lining.

I drove down yesterday and had my truck sprayed with Line-X....simply awesome product!

Well worth the drive down (1.5 hours) and the cost........which was $565 with tax.

The liner is extremely straight and the texture is very consistent.

Before & After Pics:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Spray-on Liner!!! Find a reputable shop that does it. You shouldn't have any problems if you do. Plus the drop in liners take up space unlike the spray on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a bed liner installed when new and I took it out and took it back as I will be using the box to haul a multiple of things, and with holes in the four corners gravel will get underneath. I took the liner back and had White Line-x sprayed in the box and top rails, and black line-x sprayed in the rear wheel wells. Works for me, and yes it is not cheap, but a liner with holes in it to me was not an option. PLAY SAFE!

G

·
Any spray-in liner is better than the lay-in. Contrary to belief, they don't bend that easily. I drop 600 pound engines in there with no problems and don't have a single chip, rip or dent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My thanks to all of you. There's no substitute for "ask a man who owns one." You've made me aware of products I never knew existed. So far this forum is everything I hoped it would be.

PS I ran across this: http://www.paxcon.com/blast_site/bomb/AF_TEST.pdf while following up on your suggestions. The guy on "Google Answers" was pretty sure the commercial spray-on truck bed liner in the initial test was Line-X though it was not named.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Line-x did an excellent job on mine. I got under the rail, just didn't want it up over the rail because if you add a cap or cover down the road the seam will show. Paid $450 but that was two tears ago. Have no cuts or scratches yet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As with any work, it depends on the person doing the application. My local Line-X shop has a good reputation, the guy doing the job took the time to explain to me my options before he started, then when I picked the truck up went over the job with me to make sure I was happy. So if you are thinking about a spray-in do some research and make sure you go to a reputable shop. Done right they should last.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spray in hands down...I just had my truck Line-Xtra-ed (has kevlar in it) color matched over the rails done for $625. Plain black under the rails was 425 and over was 525. The guy was going to do the RAM emblem on the front of the bed but they had the wrong template:CRY: Going back to get the rockers done :$:

·
Registered
491 Posts
iv'e ruined linex and the other one too, just from a trip from homecreepo to lowes, I like the true protection of drop in's... love how everything slides in and out easy, wish they could keep things still on the road though....Those hard side /rubber floor units look like the trick if things like gravel/sand couldnt get behind them.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I went with spray in liners in my trucks in part because I haul fertilizer, salt blocks, horse manure, and sandstone. Imagine what residue from those will do under a drop in liner where they stay moist.

Spray in liners are supposed to make the bed quieter but in our diesels it is hard to tell.

I drive on gravel frequently. I wish I had had my rockers covered at the same time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Line-X. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anyone try the brush on or spray on stuff from the auto parts store?

My dually has holes in the bed from a 5th wheel application that I'll have to weld back up. It it scratched up & paint worn thru where an old bed liner was.

At Summit Racing they sell a brush on kit for like 89 bucks. Comments?:$:

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Mine came with a drop in, the salesperson didn't notice it at first and then tried to charge me for it... yeah right. The only thing I like about the drop in is that heavy stuff will slide easy for loading / unloading, otherwise everything that I don't want sliding while driving has to be secured.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I went with Line-x. I had them do an under the rails application, you can't see any bed liner outside the box. I'm really pleased with the results, the only thing I didn't like was the sticker they put on my rear window, but I'll get over it.

Thanks again for you input, it made me a much better informed consumer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts