Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the general consensus on the beach bio system?

Beach Bio Inc.

Does the system with the purolite ion wash system eliminate the need to water wash your fuel?

In general, how much hands on time do you guys have per batch of biodiesel?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Can't comment on the beach pro. It seems just like all the rest of the cone processors. Nice systems.

Purolite is a dry wash system. No water. It's the way to wash biodiesel now. Some issues but it can be worked through. From what I've read, it has convinced me to go that route. I'm just waiting on the clear pvc pipe.

How much time does it take to make a batch depends on you and your system. It does take time unless you go w/ a biopro. It's pricey but it's automated. I guess if I have to I can do it in three days. This is from pumping oil into my processor to pumping into my truck. Those days would only devote to making fuel.

Eugene

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
looks like a pretty solid system, again I countinue with my "as always statement" why pay that much money for a system when its just as easy to build one?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess if I have to I can do it in three days. This is from pumping oil into my processor to pumping into my truck. Those days would only devote to making fuel.

Eugene
Are you talking 3 straight days?? As in, this is all I do for 3 straight days?? Whats the actual hands-on time on a batch?

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you referred to hand on as when your hanging around your system, then yes. You need process and settle time. If you wash that takes time. You can do a 5% prewash to shorten your water wash but then you have to wait for fuel to dry. Now you can cut corner or build your system to speed things up to where you can get it done quicker. Now I'm not sure on the beach bio kit. It could be quicker. You will need to ask. But process/settle time is still there and so is wash time.

Eugene

·
Registered
519 Posts
I calculated the actual time from oil collection to tank hands on time was about 4hours or so. I do yard work or something else around the house while making it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I calculated the actual time from oil collection to tank hands on time was about 4hours or so. I do yard work or something else around the house while making it.
Could you elaborate? Process method, wash/dry, equipments?

I would love to be able to do a batch in 4 hours.

Thanks,
Eugene

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
most of the commercial processors advertise about 4 hours hands-on time

·
Registered
397 Posts
I must be misunderstanding what hand on is. Would you leave the processor pump going and go out shopping? Leave the water misting if you water wash and not drain? If you do then I must paranoid because I don't leave the house when I'm making a batch.

edit: never mind. Someone explained it.

Eugene

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must be misunderstanding what hand on is. Eugene
Im talking time actually devoted to standing in front of the machine. I wouldnt leave to go to town while it was processing, but how about doing some yardwork, detailing my car, or just watching some TV. If I have to spend 15 hours of actual Hands-on time making a 40 gallon batch of bio, I might as well just drop the $150 to fill it at the pump

·
Registered
519 Posts
10 minutes claiming oil on the way home
10 minutes dumping oil into processor
2 sec plugging heater in
2 minute pouring methanol
5 minutes titrating
5 minutes mixing meth and lye
5 minutes mixing meth into oil(2hours circulating while I am doing something else)
5-10 minutes draing glycerin
5 sec turning on mist washer
5 minute draing water after sitting for a while(repeat truing on the washer and off 2 times
2 sec plugging heater back in and heat to 150
2 min drain excess water once heated
5 sec turn on circ pump to vent off water for 2 hours or so
10 sec to take samples occassionally to check clarity
See where I am goin with this. If I sat in front of this thing the entire time, I wouldn't be typing this because I would have shot myself after my wife took everythin including the kids for neglecting them!lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
I see that now. I got confused with the "hand on".

Eugene

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AKcowboy, do you run your bio in your 06? I have an 06 megacab and was wondering if its safe to run 100 percent bio in it

·
Registered
519 Posts
yes I do. I run b100 from mid spring to mid fall and b30 the rest of the time. Ihave since I bought it. mine runs fine but I make it to very stringent standards. I also use a primary racor spin on water seperator filter to get out any suspended water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts