Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new truck and have been contiplating a 6.7L Mega Cab. Can all of you 6.7 owners give me some pros and cons? I want to know what you all really think of the 6.7. If you had it to do over again would you still buy a 6.7 knowing what you know now????
Thanks in advance,
Chuck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not really sure I would...Most likley not...No

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
why not look for a 07 5.9 mega if you are worried about the 6.7 just my .02

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why not look for a 07 5.9 mega if you are worried about the 6.7 just my .02
I am leaning towards a last year model of the 5.9L. It is hard to pass up the insentives ont he new trucks right now though, I thought that if you guys could convince me that the emissions changes were not that big of a deal then I would feel better about buying a 6.7.

·
Registered
838 Posts
i really like mine, the draw back is the fuel mileage. it sounds like the '08's have most of the bugs worked out with the turbo's plugging. i would probably do it all over again.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The emissions changes are kind of a big deal and the source of most of the issues with the 6.7 - now if you want to spend a few more grand on top of the price of a new truck to have that stuff removed then they seem to be doing pretty good.

My truck has been doing fine with the emissions stuff still on it but I only run it over the road no less than 60 highway miles at a time and I monitor most of the regen processes - personally I feel like I'm sitting on a bomb with a unknown length of lit fuse attached to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would get another 6.7l in a heart beat!!!!!!!!!!! Only if did not have all that emission . All the problems that I have had and still having is caused by the DPF. The engine it self has not given me a lick of problems.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I haven't had any emissions related problems with my 07.5, but it only has 9700 miles on it so far. Given the chance to do it all over again, I would probably go with a 5.9. I like the truck, but the emissions need to go and I'm not in a position to drop several thousand into it right now. So it's a tough call....

·
Registered
34 Posts
No. The report that I received after my 22nd trip to the service department stated that I wasn't driving it right. I needed to 1) idle less 2) drive at least 45 minutes between 50 & 60 mph 3) while doing the 45-minute drive to not use the cruise control. If stopping do not open the door; apply the foot brake or shift out of gear. As others have said - it's the emissions junk. Knowing what I know now, there is no way I'd buy a 6.7!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't think I would have a problem buying another 6.7. It does everything I want it to do and I have not had any issues (yet) but I feel like the mods I want to do will have to wait until I don't have a warranty issue to deal with. My kids like the mega cab and I like not worrying about the next hill (up or down).:peelout

My air bags come in today :pray:and I have a 450 mile trip this weekend with 3 utility quads in the toy hauler and 1 in the bed of the truck. We will actually be comfortable taking the trip with 4 full size guys and quads.:thumbsup Total weight will be about 21K. Now if we can just leave before 8:00PM on Friday so we can get their at a decent hour...:thud:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i drive a 5.9, my cousin went from an 03 to a 08 and he flat out loves it, except for the mileage

·
Registered
468 Posts
if you have enough money to spend on mods then get the 6.7L u will be happy, but if you have a tight budget get a 5.9L

·
Registered
306 Posts
I sold my 2007 6.7 yesturday. Its a quadcab. I wanted a mega cab. I went shopping for a used 6.7 to save some $$. Found out about all the rebates so I went with a new 6.7. I did not think twice about getting another 6.7. I had no problem with my last one. My new one will be here tomorrow night. Its a 2008 3500 mega cab dual real wheels 4X4. cant wait.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I bought a used 07 megacab 6.7L cummins with 29k miles on it. I love the truck except for the emissions junk. the Malfunction indicator light has come on two times since (in 2000 miles of driving). the dealer says the turbo needs to be cleaned out. I am thinking about getting a delete kit and not going to worry about the extended warranty.

All in all, I absolutely love the truck. I hope I can get over these emissions issues. I can't say for sure if I will get it again because I don't know how the emissions issue will turn out...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am on my second 2008 6.7, Chrysler bought back the first one, LEMON! Second one has tons of hesitations, worse than the first. No.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i am at a little over 11k miles and no problems . if i needed another truck , i wouldn't hesitate to go with another 6.7 . i would buy another one in a heart beat . i know we all wish we didn't have the emissions crap but , just like the catalytic converters that started in the 1970's , the problems will be worked out . by the way the transmissions in the 6.7 trucks are 2 to 1 better than the older ones .

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Problems with these trucks are hit and miss. I had a few minor issues until my emissions stuff fell off the truck. Since i have not had a single issue. There are many out there that drive daily with everything intact and have no issue. Some as you have seen have not had as good of luck. The 08s are better then the 07.5s. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I have 25k miles on mine and trucking strong.

·
Cowgirls are from Venus
1,724 Posts
My uncle has an '08 6.7L. He's had it for since last June and it's been in the shop a few times for recalls and the engine light keeps popping on. Every time they've fixed that engine light problem, he loses more mpg. He was getting 20 after the engine was broken in last year, and now he's down to 14mpg. And the engine light is on again. He loves the truck, but he's not happy with it, too. It's a lot of fun to drive, though...I think it's hit and miss on this engine. I told my uncle he should exchange it!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would get the 2007 5.9 liter mega cab 3500 4x4

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 03 & 06 didn't cut the mustard to my liking, pulling the 5'er. Since April 08 4K on the clock maybe 1 regen???? From TX where I bought it to TN to MO to NM now in El Paso. I LOVE THIS TRUCK & would buy another if the wife would drive it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts