Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 6" BDS long arm kit for a '08 2500 6.7L 4x4. What is the difference between long arm and short arm lifts? Differences in ride or handling? Any PICS of a BDS 6" lift on 2500 with 37" tires out there?? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Lifting the truck will not change the position of the axle once it tucks up into the fenderwell, and the suspension will pull the axle rearward slightly when the lift is put in sitting stationary.

Longer arms push the axle forward a touch to locate it correctly when lifted, and when the suspension flexes, it moves the axle slightly forward. Since the rub is usually on the rear of the fenderwell, the longer arms will keep larger rubber off your fenders when you flex the suspension.

Also, if you use stock backspaced wheels, with the steering cranked all the way, on my second gen, the tire will JUST rub the lower arm. The stock arms have that rolled lip, and it sounds AWFUL. The long arms usually are DOM welded steel, so they should be slightly narrower to not rub and if the tire rubs, it wont sound like a rototiller got loose under your fenderwell. :)

My kit didn't have arms, so I am going to build my own when I wear out my 35's and go to 37's.

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
if you're talking actual long arms, like rock krawler makes, there will me a HUGE difference in ride quality, flex, and durability. as you lift your truck the angle of the control arms increases (gets closer to 90*). the stock arms are at 10-20*, 6" of lift or so will put them at over 30*, when you hit a bump, the axle, instead of wanting to go up to compress your spring, gets forced back causing stress on the control arm and frame before the spring moves. long arms are usually double the length of your stock control arms if not longer with new mounting locations there for cutting the control arm angle in atleast half, bringing that 30* back to 15*.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Dang, good point. I was only referring to the arms that hook up at the stock location on the frame. We are talking about like 3/4" longer on those.

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
that'll make no difference in handling, just recenter your wheel in the wheel well. i make suspension kits for jeeps, i may get into the rams eventually, i plan to convert my 2wd to 4wd eventually, so ill just make a set of long arms for it when i do it, the ride quality is so much better theres no reason to use short arms, i dont even make a short arm kit for the jeeps.

also, i dont know if anyone makes a set for the rams, but adjustable upper and lower short arms, allows complete adjustment of the location of the axle (forward and back) and also caster/pinion angle with the uppers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts