Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy is selling his bd twin setup, he said he'd give me a good deal on just the small turbo. can anyone tell me what turbo this is?

Its in storage and I wont be able to see it for a week or two.

thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
The small turbo is the Super B. It is a Borg Warner Airwerks S300 with a 57.1 mm compressor inducer.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
super b is junk... better off with a 3rd gen turbo... just saying

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why is a super b junk?

·
Registered
189 Posts
super b is junk... better off with a 3rd gen turbo... just saying
why is a super b junk?
While I wouldnt call it junk, its just a standard BW s300g, markuped up 300-400 bucks, while its a good turbo for whats its intended to do, the he351, will do everything the s300g, but there less then half the price. The he351 is the best bang for the buck when it comes to turbos.

I guess the biggest question is how much are you paying for the super b.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what all do you need to hook up a he351, it doesnt just bolt up right? This super b is low mileage for $400

·
Registered
329 Posts
why is a super b junk?
I wouldn't take advice from somebody that simply calls something junk and provide zero amplifying information as to why. Ive been running that turbo for over a year now and Im completely satisfied. The turbo outflows the stocker and is very durable, with NO lag. Members here have made 500hp with that turbo, not to mention its probably the best towing single around.

I payed twice for mine what your said you can get yours for, and I still feel it was a bargain. If you decide not to buy the turbo please forward the sellers info to me and Ill buy it, at that price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
$400 is a great deal on a low mileage super B, I'd buy it. It will flow about the same as a he351 on the compressor side and better on the exhaust side. All you will need to hook it up is a hx40 downpipe and clamp ($150 or so). HE351 requires you to fab a new charge air pipe. By the time you buy a he351 and have it rebuilt, which I had to do on mine, and buy the parts to install you will be close to, if not over $1000. Get the super B.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
lol.... the he351 is half the price or less.... some can be had for $200 or so.

for the amount of upgrade you get out of a super b single, your better off to switch to an he351 as they both require the 4" dp.

he351 = cheaper and flows about the same amount of air.

if you have ever dealt with BD you would never again.

i have a buddy who put a super b on his 03 common rail (why i don't know) and noticed next to nothing.

the 65mm turbine wheel of the super b is an 11 blade high drive pressure design. spools up nicely but lacks flow on the top end.

i ran a 62/65/12 for awhile and above 1900-2000rpm or so it choked off and got just as hot as my ported out hx35 does.

don't listen to me though, i'm the village idiot around here.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My experience with BD was a very good one, I would refer anyone there. Maybe yours was different though:confused013:

As to which turbo to go with just go with whatever you can get cheaper between the he351 and super b

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
i dealt with the BD boys in vancouver.
it's a toss up between PDR and BD there for most useless sales people i have ever talked to

i called up PDR an asked for measurements on their "super s300" and they hung up on me.

·
Registered
111 Posts

:agree2:ive gone into BD in abbotsford 2 times and have not been impressed by the losers behind the counter. i try to stay away from there over priced shtuff.

·
Registered
111 Posts

:agree2:ive gone into BD in abbotsford 2 times and have not been impressed by the losers behind the counter. i try to stay away from there over priced shtuff.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok one other question what are the specs on the big turbo for the twin setup? I can get both for under $1000

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And a super b special is a 64/71/16 correct? someone told me that the two turbos in the bd twin kit are a super b and a super b special.

but the 66/74/16 sounds more like the size I'd expect paired with the 57/65/14 super b.

·
So God Made a Farmer..
2,174 Posts
i ran a HTT 64/65/14 which is the same thing as a super b speacial, and was running DDP 140's, number 10# plate, 191's, bhaf, and a goerend's tranny. with basically no tuning besides a plate it made 416hp 892lbs tq. it had hardly any spool up time and i never saw me pyro touch 1300*. so ive been impressed with the S300 series, but id buy that whole kit if you could get it cheap enough if it was me..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can get both turbos for $1000 maybe less. they have maybe 10k miles on em. what else will I need? oil lines, pipe between two turbos and one intercooler tube?(all he has left are two turbos)

·
Registered
189 Posts
i ran a HTT 64/65/14 which is the same thing as a super b speacial, and was running DDP 140's, number 10# plate, 191's, bhaf, and a goerend's tranny. with basically no tuning besides a plate it made 416hp 892lbs tq. it had hardly any spool up time and i never saw me pyro touch 1300*. so ive been impressed with the S300 series, but id buy that whole kit if you could get it cheap enough if it was me..
No the 64/65 isnt the super b special, the special is a 64/71/14.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can someone tell me exactly what the big turbo in their twin setup is? I'm trying to figure out I I can run the big one as a single with 5x.014s and shoot for around 500hp without being too laggy. 64/74/16 seems way too big.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.