Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question is do they have all the bugs worked out on the GT? Second question is what are the horsepower levels for the 06' Dodge?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read they were having problems with the boost only reading up to 30 psi and a lot of features were missing that is on the triple dog.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
boost will only read as far as the factory map sensor will let it, so your only going to get 28-32lbs at most for a reading. Not sure what features a triple dog would have over a GT cause triple dog was just a tuner, did tire size and speed limiter, both of which the GT can do

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm going to tack onto this thread, if you don't mind. I am trying to decide whether to trade my Outlook/Triple Dog (40500) combo for a Triple Dog GT. Which would you recommend for a 2005? Can older tunes (such as v2.4D) be loaded onto the GT yet?

·
Registered
410 Posts
i had the GT on my 05 and enjoyed it but the driving coach didn't work. you were suppose to use the set up wizard to program the GT to calibrate MPG correctly but the set up wizard was not programmed to the unit. other than that i thought is was a good product for the money. and as far as older tunes being loaded im not sure. i got rid o the 05 before i really explored what i wanted to with it. damn economy

·
Registered
24 Posts
What do you mean by the mileage calculator not being "programmed to the unit"? Are you saying that option doesn't work for the 2005 trucks, or that it was not loaded into your particular BDGT unit?

·
Registered
410 Posts
yeah it wasnt programmed to my particular one. i called BD and they said i could mail it back but it didnt bother me too much cause i hand calculated mine anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I decided to keep the Triple Dog/Outlook combo. More flexibility, I guess. The GT is a nice unit, but for my '05 truck I wanted the ability to try out some of the Crazy Larry tunes. They are not available for the GT. From what I have read and learned from talking to BD techs, it appears the GT is geared to later model stock trucks. Between the Outlook and the TD, I think I have all options offered by the GT for my '05 covered, except the driving coach.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Keep the triple dog...at least you can load older tunes like crazy larry. you cant do that on the GT. And the driving coach is useless. If someone wanted to save serious $ on fuel; they wouldnt be putting a programer in!!!! to get power you need FUEL;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a GT that Timmay81 is working on and it won't read some of the truck parameters used to calculate MPG. On my 04.5 it won't read Load and a couple other things that all seem to be related to calculating MPG, he tried it on an 03 and it works but not mine. I like it and everything else seems to be great but not having that MPG sucks there are times over a short run I wan to see MPG, and without it to get an accurate handcalulation you really have to run and burn a reasonable amount of fuel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
yes power is gained by adding fuel but when you can do a job easier and at lower RPMs you get better mileage. i.e. my 05. without the GT 18.9 mpg avg, with the GT 20.7 mpg avg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Programmers help your engine make more hp by adjusting certain parameters, like timing and fuel delivery. They tune the engine to use the air and fuel more efficiently, thereby giving increased mpg as well as increased hp. You save the mpg by keeping a light foot on the loud pedal. Many people get the biggest mpg increase from programmers while towing, not necessarily because the engine is getting more fuel, but because the timing is changed to get more power on less fuel. The diesel engines in our trucks are hugely derated in the hp department (meaning the short blocks are built to withstand much greater hp than what they are limited to in our trucks). That's why the hp can safely be increased so much with nothing more than a programmer. Not necessarily so with a gasser. The trade-off is that the programmers increase emissions in exchange for increased hp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It definately makes HP in my truck and on the couple of "long runs" I made it definately saw MPG improvement, without struggling to get 16, with programmer just shy of 19.

·
Registered
410 Posts
yeah i really miss the plug and play method. the 98 i have is a great truck but to do pretty much anything to add power you gotta get that trans built and thats a nice size expense off the bat.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
sure is...i spent 7200$ on my trans.

·
Registered
410 Posts
gah lee......

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keep the triple dog...at least you can load older tunes like crazy larry. you cant do that on the GT. And the driving coach is useless. If someone wanted to save serious $ on fuel; they wouldnt be putting a programer in!!!! to get power you need FUEL;)
::Some what true but the more power you make the better gas mileage you will get. IF you dive with some common sense. If black some rolls then so does your gas mileage right down the drain.::::shock:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts