Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw in this months issue of diesel power that BD has come out with a steering support kit... have you guys seen this? i am curious if any of you guys are using them... if so, have you noticed any better response? :thumbsup

·
SC Chapter President
1,024 Posts
I'm also curious about if it's worth the money or not. I replaced all my steering parts not too long ago and I still have a little bit of play in my steering wheel, I'd also like hear about some personal experiences. BTW ACE03, you have a very sharp truck, I've looked at your pics before, very nice!

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Man I saw it in there too...And I'll be d____ed if it didnt happen to me just this afternoon. I was racing my Dad, on a road I've raced on before(so it wasn't the road), and at about 80 my truck got the worst shakes I've ever felt. Luckily I got it shut down, slowly...and after I checked myself:butt:.....I eased the rest of the way home. My Dad sayd he soud see my front tires shaking violently with the rest of my front end. I will be making that investment of a the BD SBS.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I saw the article too. (I'm runnin' 33x13.50x18's) I ordered it! If you want to wait about a week or two, I'll post a note on what I think of it.:$:

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
It is basically the same product as the PSC Steering Brace.

I bought mine for $148 shipped, and it does help out alot!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Man I saw it in there too...And I'll be d____ed if it didnt happen to me just this afternoon. I was racing my Dad, on a road I've raced on before(so it wasn't the road), and at about 80 my truck got the worst shakes I've ever felt. Luckily I got it shut down, slowly...and after I checked myself:butt:.....I eased the rest of the way home. My Dad sayd he soud see my front tires shaking violently with the rest of my front end. I will be making that investment of a the BD SBS.
you might want to invest in a stering stabalizer shock first. I would like to get the brace to, but the shake is probably from that shock being worn out

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
steering stabilizers are bandaids..... your steering should work and function properly without one.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
steering stabilizers are bandaids..... your steering should work and function properly without one.
It should, right.

But there is too much play in the sector shaft when just turning the wheel back and forth. I had over 1/4" delfection on my truck.

·
Registered
454 Posts
actually i had the bolt that holds the shock to the front rearend fall out. it shook the truck like crazy and when it sat there, you could turn the wheel and the fron end would actually move instead of turing the wheels. Its like the rear end was moving left to righ under the truck. i would bet that a new stabalizer shock would help with his shake at 80 mph

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Yea I might look into that too. But Im goin to go ahead and get the SBS. I've heard too much about that DEATH WOBBLE. It made it into Diesel Power, it must be pretty serious

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
actually i had the bolt that holds the shock to the front rearend fall out. it shook the truck like crazy and when it sat there, you could turn the wheel and the fron end would actually move instead of turing the wheels. Its like the rear end was moving left to righ under the truck. i would bet that a new stabalizer shock would help with his shake at 80 mph
:BS: the "front rearend".... or front axle is held center under the truck by a track bar, has nothing to do with the steering dampener.

the only bolts that could fall out and let your axle move side to side is the track bar's bolts

·
Registered
69 Posts
If your trying to fix a violent shake that just starts suddenly for no reason, I'd start by checking for a worn tracking bar mount or bushing. That is a very common failure on this suspension system. I've seen it on alot of Dodge trucks and Jeeps! Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the truck. The loose/worn part should be easy to spot.:CRY:

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have the DB one and Ill tell you I wont have a dodge again without one. It make all the difference in the world. Tighten up the steering like you wouldnt believe. If you have a smaller lift and tires than I do (most likely) it will probably work even better. Buy it you wont be disappointed. Not to hard to install either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just installed my BD steering support... FINALLY! UPS damaged the box during shipping and I had to reorder all the mounting hardware, bearing, etc.:CRY: I wasn't really impressed with the shot-peened look of the bracket. I repainted it with gloss black. It installed easily at home in the garage. The truck seems to steer easier at low speed and handles better at highway speed. I think anybody running a plow or big tires would benefit from this accessory.:woot:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Not on these trucks. The knuckles on dodge's are shorter, and so the steering cannot make a staight line without hitting the differential, so the linkages must be bent. Plus to save a few sheckles, they also put a big bend in the link to line up the balljoints. This makes the system prone to bending further at the bend, and will by design never be balanced.

This causes the steering to develop a sustained oscillation while all the goofy parts flop violently up and down. I thought I could get away without a stabilizer on my custom 1.5" dom setup since I put a 1" id spherical bearing in the center to tie in the drag link, but the bends necessary to clear the pumpkin made it unbalanced, so I still have to run a stabilizer.

DO NOT RUN WITHOUT A STABILIZER ON YOUR LEFT TIE ROD. If you have the factory stabilizer on the draglink to the box, you MUST replace it with one that attaches to the driver's side link. If you do not, you WILL eventually develop this oscillation affectionately (and accurately) referred to as DEATH WOBBLE.

Oh, and I got one of those steering braces today and put it on. It works great. 1/3 the slop in the steering, and just feels tighter. Absolutely worth every penny. I got mine from Dodge Cummins and Ford Power Stroke Diesel Truck Accessories - Geno's Garage

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
I like the PSC version better. It has that long bolt/shaft to add onto the pitman arm bolt. Instead of the BDs version, were it tightens to the steering box bolt itself....not too good for the threads I would think.

·
MI Chapter President
5,684 Posts
Ive had the Windecker Machine one for about 4 years now, I bought it when it first came out and TDR had a group buy on it. I noticed a HUGE difference!! I need to get one for my 06!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts