Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

BD Steering Box Brace Issues

4687 15
Just got in my BD steering brace and had everything mounted up then found the sector shaft bolt doesn't fit into the bearing assembly. It's to big. Talk about being pissed, maybe I should have checked the fit before I had the truck tore apart for the install. I'm calling BD tomorrow to see what they'll do about this issue.

Anyone ever heard of this issue on the PSC or BD brace?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
make sure the set screws are removed... i just did mine easy as hell to do ...hmm
I did, not the issue. This thing won't even start into the bearing, it's to big.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
You're saying the bolt they supplied doesn't fit the bearing they supllied?
The only problem I had was the bolt was not exactly centered into the hole of the bracket but I was able to get the bearing on so it worked out.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am saying that the sector shaft bolt you have pictured does not fit inside the bearing like it's supposed to. It is larger than the ID of the bearing.

· Registered
2,472 Posts
Call em', they either sent the wrong bearing or that shaft didn't get machined to the right specification. Get a caliper and see how big it is before you call, that way you know where the problem is. Or if you have a buddy with a lathe, you could take a little bit of material off of that shaft to fit the bearing. I agree with dieselkevb...hardly finished a beer in the time it took to do the install.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
On my PSC the bearing had to be spot on to get it to go in. It does not just "slide in" at all. Took a little bit of light tapping and adjusting before she went.

Although it is machined and there are defects unfortunatly.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well got ahold of BD this morning and they were pretty surprised about the issue and were eager to get it fixed. They are sending me a replacement sector bolt to try out with the bearing. Hopefully this will work.

· Registered
46 Posts
I saw note on this product when I was looking into it just two days ago it was on Geno garage. some thing about a change in mid year and this pert will not fit some trucks but the dates were not know when the change of the truck took place. So it just state it may not fit certain trucks. I will try and locate it if I find I will link it. if not call genos garage .

· Registered
46 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BD STEERING BOX STABILIZER - 4WD ONLY ('03-'07) DODGE-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage
Is this the part ?stering box stabilozer the note is in bold at the bottom.
If not sorry.
Thanks I did see that when I ordered it from Geno's. My truck is an 06' though so it shouldn't be an issue. I got out my caliper today and measured the ID of the bearing and the OD of the shaft nut. Both are exactly the same so obviously it wouldn't work. Hopefully this new one is the ticket.

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the diameter measurement of the shaft, and what is the diameter measurement of the bearing race? I'm just curious...
They both measured 1".

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well turns out I got the wrong bearing sent to me. It wasn't the sector shaft bolt it was the bearing. BD has been great to deal with after the sale to which is nice, very nice people up there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.