Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to do a lift pump upgrade should i go oem bypass or aux? my lift pump is new about 10,000 ago but my red light flickers when i get after it. just wondering what you would recomend. Thanks, Matt

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
If your factory one is starting to fail, which it sounds like it is, then you need to get rid of it and get the bypass kit, the auxiliary pump will not assist a failing pump.

Our new Max Flow Lift Pumps will be shipping in approximately a week and I have the current ones in stock. If you are interested let me know, I have distributors close to you that also have them is stock.

Hope this helps thumbsup

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much for the max flow? now is it the same output as the bypass more or less?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I love my BD bypass pump!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Thanks Hot stuff, the BD Bypass is definitly a great value and inexpensive fix for low fuel pressure.

Our new Max Flow pumps are a 165PSI and are the quietest pumps on the market and include a 5 year warranty.

PM on price is on the way

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
what do you need to get for the oem bypass for the truck in my sig thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So I gotta question about this now that it came up. My dad's LP failed on his 99 and he thought he had the bypass but it turned out that he had the auxillary. Well he decided to go ahead and replace with another factory from the cummins shop and not wire in the auxillary yet.

He doesn't like the idea of having two pumps inline because he can't tell when one is going to go out so what would it take to get the parts to convert his current auxillary to the bypass kit. I looked at the parts lists and it looks like it is just the adapter at the stock fuel filter anda different wire harness and a little more hose. Is this correct?

I may be trying to get those parts for him so that he can put the better pump on it and still feel fine about it.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
So I gotta question about this now that it came up. My dad's LP failed on his 99 and he thought he had the bypass but it turned out that he had the auxillary. Well he decided to go ahead and replace with another factory from the cummins shop and not wire in the auxillary yet.

He doesn't like the idea of having two pumps inline because he can't tell when one is going to go out so what would it take to get the parts to convert his current auxillary to the bypass kit. I looked at the parts lists and it looks like it is just the adapter at the stock fuel filter anda different wire harness and a little more hose. Is this correct?

I may be trying to get those parts for him so that he can put the better pump on it and still feel fine about it.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

As long as his factory pump is in good shape he should never have a problem with the auxilary pump or factory one. That is cool if your dad is more comfortable with the bypass one, I can get you those parts :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I would highly recomend the FASS system. They are a bit on the expensive side. But worth everypenny!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would highly recomend the FASS system. They are a bit on the expensive side. But worth everypenny!
I was thinking a fass 150 hffp or a raptor 150 I dont want to go to crazy because I will want to add alot more power if I have ample feul but I dont have the money for tranny upgrades On the other hand I dont want to cook another vp 44 at $1200 and a day of my time

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I was thinking a fass 150 hffp or a raptor 150 I dont want to go to crazy because I will want to add alot more power if I have ample feul but I dont have the money for tranny upgrades On the other hand I dont want to cook another vp 44 at $1200 and a day of my time
Im running the FASS 150/150. Its great, Quiet & I have enuff fuel to do just about enything i want to. :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
The BD Max FLow Lift Pumps are

Higher Flow than FASS
BD - 165GPH
FASS - 150GPH

Quieter than FASS
BD - 52dB
FASS - 63dB

More reliable with less moving parts than FASS
Gerotor design

When you know the differnce you will choose BD

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I had a BD Aux Lift Pump on for a little over a year when the pump went out. Luckly I was able to still draw from the stocker lift pump to keep me running. Even though my low pressure light was on or flickering under WOT or up an incline/grade. Since it was out of warranty and did not last too long. I started to look around for other options.

I ended up w/ the Raptor 100. It is quieter and adjustable for future hp. I do have a BD Tranny upgrades and performs flawless. So I am not bashing BD w/ my aux lift pump experience. I am looking to buying a Super B Turbo here towards the end of summer.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Thank you for the honest opinion, your feedback is appreciated.

We have had good results with the current BD Bypass kit and the BD Auxiliary kits, most problems we have seen with the Auxilary kits have been contamination issues and/or poor primary pump condition, although it sounds like your was good?

With that said our new Max Flow Pumps are proving to be the most reliable pumps we have ever tested!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
so I am going to bring up this dead thread.

The Truck: 1999 24 valve 2500

I finally talked my dad into installing the auxilliary lift pump this week. I put it on and after the first run I couldn't hear the stock lift pump kicking in when the switch was turned on. Is there a pressure switch that is supposed to get this to trigger? When I bumped the motor but didn't start I heard it running but not when I kicked the switch on.

When you turn the key on the edge shows 4-5psi of pressure but when you start it, it drops down to 1-3psi for a second or two until the auxilliary pump kicks in and then it goes right up to 25psi. The factory lift pump is good because we replaced it less than a year ago and we just put the juice with attitude on it and it was running 12-14psi at idle and dropping down to 7 at WOT so it is good, I just wanted that extra insurance because he will be towing a loaded trailer about 2200 miles in a couple weeks and I wanted to make sure he had plenty of fuel pressure.

I just want to know if this is normal or if something is messed up with the install.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
The Auxiliary kit should have a oil pressure switch to activate it when the truck starts and oil pressure comes up. It is normal to see what you are seeing on your Edge display. I am not sure what you mean by not being able to hear the pump turn on when the switch is on... what switch?

so I am going to bring up this dead thread.

The Truck: 1999 24 valve 2500

I finally talked my dad into installing the auxilliary lift pump this week. I put it on and after the first run I couldn't hear the stock lift pump kicking in when the switch was turned on. Is there a pressure switch that is supposed to get this to trigger? When I bumped the motor but didn't start I heard it running but not when I kicked the switch on.

When you turn the key on the edge shows 4-5psi of pressure but when you start it, it drops down to 1-3psi for a second or two until the auxilliary pump kicks in and then it goes right up to 25psi. The factory lift pump is good because we replaced it less than a year ago and we just put the juice with attitude on it and it was running 12-14psi at idle and dropping down to 7 at WOT so it is good, I just wanted that extra insurance because he will be towing a loaded trailer about 2200 miles in a couple weeks and I wanted to make sure he had plenty of fuel pressure.

I just want to know if this is normal or if something is messed up with the install.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
the ignition switch when I turn the key over to the run position prior to starting the truck. I was wondering if the factory lift pump had a pressure switch so that it wouldn't run if it already was pressurized.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
just an update on this... the alarm quit going off on the edge gauges. I think it still had some air bubbles in there from when we drained the water out of the filter housing and it must have finally cleared back up after driving it a few miles. I got back in it the next day and didn't get the alarms. I should have just given it some more time before I asked away. I just didn't want it to mess anything up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts