Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a BD s364 kit last weekend and what a difference it made on my 08. Used motorops for tuning and it’s like a brand new pickup that I’ve had for years. If you guys need some insight fire away. Also did a head gasket during the swap so I can help there too!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Yea I have that kit in the back of my head for when my VGT fails out. So you diggin it eh?

What about an Exhaust Brake? I would not want to lose mine so I would be planing a EB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I have that kit in the back of my head for when my VGT fails out. So you diggin it eh?

What about an Exhaust Brake? I would not want to lose mine so I would be planing a EB.
Really enjoying the kit, with tuning it really woke it up. I don’t miss the exhaust brake as much as I thought I would but I also didn’t have one for a couple months prior due to the stock actuator taking a crap. I think if a guy does heavy towing he’d want one again for sure. But daily driving it’s no problem for me anyway. I kinda fell in love again with my pickup haha.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
yea I absolutely love my EB towing. I could tow without one sure, but don't see any reason not to if I can :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll eventually go with a bd in line EB I’m sure but for now I’m content, I think they BD may even have their package deal still up if you buy their ironhorn kit they give you a discount on the EB. I didn’t buy direct from them I outsourced all my parts through DAP. Fantastic group of people too. Definitely recommend dealing with them for any parts.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
So did you blow your HG or just do it preemptively? Studs? Also any trans work done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Headgasket failed almost 2 years ago.. started pushing coolant into the overflow but only when it was worked hard, then last month you could hear it gurgling in the overflow after every shut down. I knew it was bad but I wasn’t getting any coolant in the oil or vice versa. So I pulled the head lapped the valves checked it over really really well, and stuck it back on. Closest machine shop was a month out on turn around for head work and wanted to charge the same amount for a brand new head so I just gambled and stuck it back on. If it fails I’ll just go buy a new head. I did the whole top end gasket set, new valve seals etc. and yes it is studded. Was when I bought it 4 years ago. But I’ve got 500 miles on it now and haven’t had any issues yet. It’s a gamble and I know what to expect if something goes wrong. I was just pressed for time and have limited recourses where I’m working right now for machine work. Mines a g56 6 speed. Just have a south bend dual disk nothing fancy. Hate the clutch but it holds the power.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Headgasket failed almost 2 years ago.. started pushing coolant into the overflow but only when it was worked hard, then last month you could hear it gurgling in the overflow after every shut down. I knew it was bad but I wasn’t getting any coolant in the oil or vice versa. So I pulled the head lapped the valves checked it over really really well, and stuck it back on. Closest machine shop was a month out on turn around for head work and wanted to charge the same amount for a brand new head so I just gambled and stuck it back on. If it fails I’ll just go buy a new head. I did the whole top end gasket set, new valve seals etc. and yes it is studded. Was when I bought it 4 years ago. But I’ve got 500 miles on it now and haven’t had any issues yet. It’s a gamble and I know what to expect if something goes wrong. I was just pressed for time and have limited recourses where I’m working right now for machine work. Mines a g56 6 speed. Just have a south bend dual disk nothing fancy. Hate the clutch but it holds the power.
hey man, sounds like a gamble I would have taken too given the situation. Sounds like its holding too, good for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts