Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

BD exhaust brake

5792 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  pepsi71ocean
hey guys.

i was looking at the bd exhaust brake for my 01 dodge automatic

the brake is no problem but the other thing is what do you guys use for the trans. tow loc and presure loc are what they say

but i dont know ive been hearing alot of things
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts

I run a bd exhaust brake. I also bought the autoloc that they also suggested. However, I did not install the autoloc, I just run a tc lock up switch. It works well, I just need to adjust for more brake when I'm towing. It's an easy install, just takes time. I had some trouble with the vacuum lines with the parts that bd sent. One trip to the parts store.

John

Reactions: 250pipeliner

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the auto loc all i need?

· Registered
1,120 Posts
if you get the bd brake just cray a little thing of wd 40 some times the switch dose not switch back off, just push the button in that is on the front of the switch and give a spray then push the button in and out a few times and it should free up and if it dose not you will have to revers the vacuum lines, i have the bd brake on my truck and i love it i use it all the time with im towing or just going down i big hill

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tow loc, autoloc, presure loc, or torqloc

which onneeeeeee

· Registered
115 Posts
I didn't go with any of those. I just wired in a t/c lock up switch and it's working fine. I also saved a few hundred bucks.

John

· Registered
5,245 Posts
make sure you have a upgraded trans, otherwise you can burn that babby up if your using it to stop the truck.

· Registered
1,316 Posts
make sure you have a upgraded trans, otherwise you can burn that babby up if your using it to stop the truck.
??? Why's that? I thought the levels of torque the brake can hold back are nowhere near the levels the engine puts out-why would the brake roast the transmission? Lower transmission fluid pressures at lower loads or something?

My understanding was that the issue with the lockup is that without lockup, the brake is significantly less effective. But I don't have an auto-just curious. :confused013:

· Registered
5,245 Posts
??? Why's that? I thought the levels of torque the brake can hold back are nowhere near the levels the engine puts out-why would the brake roast the transmission? Lower transmission fluid pressures at lower loads or something?

My understanding was that the issue with the lockup is that without lockup, the brake is significantly less effective. But I don't have an auto-just curious. :confused013:
The reasoning behind it is that the vb cannot supply the pressure to keep the clutch packs sealed, and then you get grazing. having a TC lock up switch is worse, because now there is no slippage so the weakest link starts to slip.

Its very similar to running 500HP through a stock auto, the VB can't produce enough pressure to keep the packs from slipping. so yu get grazed disks.

Reactions: totalloser

· Horse Power JUNKIE
1,656 Posts
Like stated above, its not as much load as moving the truck forward. PacBrake doesn't even sell anything with their brake for the tranny. I called Suncoast and they said a "pressure lock" device is not totally necessary, yes it will help any stock tranny live longer when upgrade its parts. But to have a functional E-brake you dont have to have the tranny mods. When I called BD and asked about their brakes system and how its activated they said you have to run 2 switches... one for the brake and one for the autolock/torqlock. I'm not sure if you can intigrate them together but thats too much work if my friends wife is going to drive his truck. We've been looking into e-brakes for his 00 auto and we're pretty sure hes going with the pacbrake, I'm going to try to upsell him with a suncoast valvebody to help out the stock tranny. Suncoast also said the converter is going to be the weakest link if the rest of the tranny is in good shape, you'll start to get a tc shudder when you apply the brake.

Reactions: totalloser

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Like stated above, its not as much load as moving the truck forward. PacBrake doesn't even sell anything with their brake for the tranny. I called Suncoast and they said a "pressure lock" device is not totally necessary, yes it will help any stock tranny live longer when upgrade its parts. But to have a functional E-brake you dont have to have the tranny mods. When I called BD and asked about their brakes system and how its activated they said you have to run 2 switches... one for the brake and one for the autolock/torqlock. I'm not sure if you can intigrate them together but thats too much work if my friends wife is going to drive his truck. We've been looking into e-brakes for his 00 auto and we're pretty sure hes going with the pacbrake, I'm going to try to upsell him with a suncoast valvebody to help out the stock tranny. Suncoast also said the converter is going to be the weakest link if the rest of the tranny is in good shape, you'll start to get a tc shudder when you apply the brake.
I know goerend stated on their website that they can integrate any engine brake into their transmission system, si im assuming its doable.

And it is easy, get a double throw double pole switch, with no center off, then its one switch, but then you can't idle with the EB on. unless you add another witch that allows you to control lock up manually, or program it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.