Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This BD Cold Air Intake made my milage worse. Any thoughts as to why?

·
Hide your cats!
5,106 Posts
have you checked for eaks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. No leaks under hood. Was at 14 mpg pulling 6000 lbs last summer. Now with bd intake I was only at 10.3.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Is it pulling hot air from the engine bay?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,891 Posts
I would swap back and make sure somthing else didnt happen at the same time.

and if it gets better then try another brand.

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
No way a properly installed intake cost you 3 mpg. Also, check your sig. There is no 305/610 engine. I'm 99% sure yours is 325/600. It went to 325/610 in 06 I think.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
No way a properly installed intake cost you 3 mpg. Also, check your sig. There is no 305/610 engine. I'm 99% sure yours is 325/600. It went to 325/610 in 06 I think.
Should be 325/610, AFIK MY04.5 was the only 325/600.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's open to the engine compartment. So yeah I guess it would be getting hot air.

I was pretty sure this engine was 305 hp and 610 foot lbs.

·
Hide your cats!
5,106 Posts
It's open to the engine compartment. So yeah I guess it would be getting hot air.

so your getting more air its just hot, you need the box that goes around the filter. check the driver side of your valvecover to be sure what hp/tq you have

·
Banned
5,591 Posts

There is no such thing as 305 / 610.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts

The hot air could decrease mileage, but 3 mpg seems like too much. There are a lot of things that effect mileage, a slight wind can make a huge difference when towing.

Intakes aren't really needed (other than preference and sound) under 450 rwhp, the stock flows plenty of air.

And like JD said, no such thing as a 305/610.. All 05's were 325/610.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've put the factory box back on, but left the noise dampener off. The BD one is free from restriction.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The intake tube. There is a hard plastic piece that goes between the turbo and air box. I have the factory one off and the bd one with no restriction in it's place.

·
Hide your cats!
5,106 Posts
just curious but how much fuel loss do you think was lost from the right foot and hearing that turbo spool:)???

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
The intake tube. There is a hard plastic piece that goes between the turbo and air box. I have the factory one off and the bd one with no restriction in it's place.
Gotcha. Yeah I removed mine in favor of a Airaid MIT. Be sure to leave the vanes in the lower elbow, they help turbo performance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was no extra fuel from right foot. I take it easy when pulling. What vein are you talking about. The hard plastic tube that is like 10 inches long?? With an X in the middle the whole length of the tube. I did not take out the connection between it and the turbo.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
IIRC back in Feb of 2005 when I was first looking at a Dodge diesel the window stickers showed the hp/tq at 325/600, in April of 05 I saw the window stickers show the hp/tq at 325/610.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just put one in my 07 Mega. Seems my milage has went up. I have a 1000 mile trip next week. Will chime in on how well it does.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TINIRAU.... I am definetly curious.. But do you not have a 6.7L in that 07?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts