Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 ram 5.9 All stock except 4 inch exhaust from turbo back, and dual disc converter with shift kit.If I install a bd boost fooler is there anything else I need to do? This is my daily driver and I tow 10,000 lbs. Also will this help my turbo lag? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Why do you think you need a boost fooler? Do you have a CEL on? Until your turbo is making more boost than your ecm expects it to, you don’t need one.

·
Premium Member
15,177 Posts
Boost fooler will get your more boost but not help turbo lag. Explain better the problems you are seeing so we have the big picture.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When pulling it seams to take awhile to get going. Prolly need a tuner. Of course I’m use to a 2017 power stroke I just sold. I know there is no comparison.Just want to get a little more out of the 5.9

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have an 05 too. I use the Smarty S-06 and keep it about mid level on #5. I also use the tow/haul as I have big mud tires. I love the way the tow/haul is set up on the ‘05 - just have to let up a bit when it’s ready to go into 4th because it locks up the TC at the same time. The Smarty is a very fun tuner on this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve seen ads where it shows the boost fooler with a smarty. Is it necessary? I’m not gonna put more than 100 to it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
All you need is the boost fooler, it plugs into your map sensor on the driver side of valve cover.

just have to let up a bit when it’s ready to go into 4th because it locks up the TC at the same time.
Spikeshd, I thought the 05 when in tow haul locked out 4th overdrive ? Is it just locking up in 3rd ?

I don't have an 05 but my son did and that's the way his worked.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I’ve seen ads where it shows the boost fooler with a smarty. Is it necessary? I’m not gonna put more than 100 to it.
I have a smarty and have seen 55 psi with no cel and no boost fooler . I talked to some at smarty and the smarty will keep the high boost code from coming on up to 100 psi ish, don't qutoe me on that, it was years ago i talked to them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Spikeshd, I thought the 05 when in tow haul locked out 4th overdrive ? Is it just locking up in 3rd ?

The 05 tow/haul mode does not lockout overdrive(4th). Tow/haul changes the shift points slightly to hang onto a gear a touch longer.

With tuning you can change tow/haul to lockout overdrive.

I believe the 03 and early 04 trucks lockout overdrive. But I am not certain of that.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The 05 tow/haul mode does not lockout overdrive(4th). Tow/haul changes the shift points slightly to hang onto a gear a touch longer.

With tuning you can change tow/haul to lockout overdrive.

I believe the 03 and early 04 trucks lockout overdrive. But I am not certain of that.

Yep I have an 03 and there’s a button on the shifter and disables over drive . Pretty handy if your towing heavy and want more rpm for boost and or so you don’t lug the engine.

·
Premium Member
15,177 Posts
100 what? PSI of boost? You won't get anywhere near that with major upgrades in fuel and turbos.

If you can turn off the WG with the Smarty or fool the controller and use a boost elbow then you do not need a boost fooler. Smarty will remap the boost tables to about 45 psi, that is all there is room for. Smarty will also turn off over boost DTC's in the software.

The 05 TH is just that more aggressive shifting and lockup algorithms. You can modify that 2 ways if wanted, with an OD lockout box, or, reprogram the TCM so the button is just and OD off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
All you need is the boost fooler, it plugs into your map sensor on the driver side of valve cover.

Not on mine. Above 30MPH in 3rd it’ll lock in the converter, at 45 it drops into 4th and half a second later locks the converter again.
Unless my Smarty changed something but I’m pretty sure that’s always the way it’s been.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the smarty jr on my 07 you won’t regret it.Tow haul setting works great towing my 35 ft 5er.And if you really want some zip performance setting Does it.

·
Premium Member
15,177 Posts
I believe the smarty has a fooler built in to the tuner
You believe or you KNOW?

You actually have knowledge form experience or just repeating something you heard and have no actual idea if it is true, false, or nonsense?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts