Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for new batteries and kinda have narrowed it down to two batteries. Advanced autos autocraft gold battery or walmarts everstart maxx65n. I looked at napa and they dont have the CCA I want for my truck. Costco doesnt stock the battery I need, and I was told not to buy interstate. I was looking at optimas red but the price just is killer and only a 3yr warranty.
So I can get autocraft batteries 750cc for around 65 dollar apiece with an online discount or go with walmarts bigger battery the maxx 65n for 82 dollars which has 900cca. Does anyone have any experience with any of these batteries? I usually buy napa. I really dont know why I made buying a battery so freaking hard, so many options.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Get a Group 65 size battery from Costco. They are 900cca and last forever - I have one in my gasser. Unfortunately, when I needed batteries there was no costco around for 3 hours so I bought two from Walmart - Group 65 size at 850cca and they work marvelous compared to the stock size ones. I live where -40 is not uncommon in the winter and those batteries saw me through last winter (bought in the fall) and going strong this winter. Group 65 batteries are a bit wider than stock so the hold down bracket won't fit. You can either bend the stock brackets or use the stock bolts with pipe strapping across the batteries (that's all I used and it works fine). Ohh and you won't have any battery tray issues with Group 65 either, I think the larger size (Group 33 but not sure) is too long.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ive bought 2 sets of the walmart batteries. Wasnt real happy with them. The last set of batteries I bought were the ones from NAPA. LIl more expensive, but am much happier with them. I went in with optimas in mind, the price and lack of warranties drove me to the napas.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Im looking for new batteries and kinda have narrowed it down to two batteries. Advanced autos autocraft gold battery or walmarts everstart maxx65n. I looked at napa and they dont have the CCA I want for my truck. Costco doesnt stock the battery I need, and I was told not to buy interstate.
Told not to buy IS - given a reason or was it an opinion?

can't say I ever had problems with IS - don't have any at the moment, but can't say don't buy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I may be stuck in my ways, but I've always had DuraLast Golds from AutoZone in all my vehicles. Never been disappointed. Left my interior lights on a while back all night when the temps got well below freezing and the truck never missed a beat and fired right up.

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
I use whatever O'reillys best battery option was for my truck it was like 75 a battery and i have a 3 year free replacement and i think they're pro-rated for 5 or 6 years after that, ive had them for a little over a year and ive been very happy with them so far!

-Jordan-

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just bought Walmart batteries for my truck last month and here's why: When a battery fails, it is either late at night, early in the morning or on the weekend, and a warranty is only good if you can use it, and it seems like no matter where you are (at least East of the Mississippi), you're within 50 miles of a 24 hour Walmart.

I went 'wheeling one time with some friends from work. Another guy drove his gasser Dodge Ram. After the bouncing around, one of the plates must have broke off inside his new top of the line Mopar battery. That could have happened to any battery really. The kicker was that he purchased their best battery with the best warranty but since it was Saturday it didn't do him any good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Told not to buy IS - given a reason or was it an opinion?

can't say I ever had problems with IS - don't have any at the moment, but can't say don't buy.
I talked to my public works guys and they use to have them all in their fleet but, they started having issues with them and the customer service started to go down hill. They switched to napa and have had only good things to day about the batteries. Also some guys in the area with diesels havent had much luck with IS batteries. But I guess its hit or miss.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I like the NAPA DEKA brand batteries, you pay a bit more but they are good batteries. Group 65 I believe. Just DO NOT get Delco, they have just turned to crap. My last set was Delco and they lasted less than 3 years.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Ive had the same IS batts in my truck for over 2 yrs with no probs and we use them in are entire fleet at work as well.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Bought my truck used which has had the same IS batteries in them for the last 6 years. funny i keep looking at these battery threads just in case they die on me, and hasn't been an issue yet.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with Interstate, there is just no where close by to me that sells them so I use DEKA in everything from the garden tractor to the boat and including the electric skeet thrower.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
With all the talk of "brand name" people fail to realize that there's only about 3 or 4 lead acid battery manufaturers in North America. Also, lead/acid battery technology is over 100 years old, there's not much to add for bells and whistles. Buy what you figure you can afford (warranty and all). The best indication of a battery's ability to perform is it's Cold Cranking Amps rating. That is a standard that is industry wide at a specific temperature and hard to fudge. Cranking Amps on the otherhand don't seem to have a specific temperature to rate the batteries at so one battery may look better with the Cranking Amps rating but if they measure that at a higher temperature than the other battery, they're just fudging the numbers.

This is why I wasn't too conserned about buying a battery at Costco or Walmart. The reason Costco is nice is because their batteries have a high turn over rate so they're not sitting on the shelf forever sulfating the plates before you buy it. The Battery Wearhouse is also nice place to buy as they add the acid to the battery when you purchase it which ensures you're getting a fresh battery!

Just some things to think about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts