Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found that one of my "maintenance free" batteries has pushed the caps out, leaked, and is hot as he!!. I'm pretty sure they are both the original batteries that came with the truck. The other battery is cool to the touch, and the caps are still sealed.

1. Is it best to replace both batteries?
2. Is there a reason one of the batteries is hotter than a mo-fo?

Please let me know if there's any potential problems that could have caused the battery failure.

Thanks!
Brandon

·
Registered
963 Posts
I hope you have a regulated battery charger and a good volt meter. After a short trip test your charging voltage, It must be over 13.8 to fully charge the batteries, test both of them, leaving the unit running test the grounds and connections at the batteries and alternator.If that is ok then disconnect the batteries and test the voltage. The cold one usually has a bad cell and is not taking a charge and the hot one is being over charged. You could also have poor connections that will do the same thing. Charge the batteries independently with a regulated charger and if when you put the cold battery on charge it immediately goes to 15 volts it is sulfated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like one of them cooked and boiled over. Don't put a charger on the one that is hot. Also don't remove the connection until it cools down. If you get a spark it may explode.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help-

Brandon

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just replace both of them at the same time, its a good feeling knowing you have 2 good batteries in your truck. i just got done dealing with mine being dead at random times, i bought 2 new interstates and the truck starts better than ever and i feel reasured that its gonna start every time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just replace both of them at the same time, its a good feeling knowing you have 2 good batteries in your truck. i just got done dealing with mine being dead at random times, i bought 2 new interstates and the truck starts better than ever and i feel reasured that its gonna start every time.
I feel the exact same way. I had both batteries tested. . .one was toast, the other marginal. Replaced them both, and all appears well. I ran it for about 30 minutes, the truck is charging as it should, and no heat in either batteries.
Brandon

·
Registered
604 Posts
Always replace both batteries at the same time. If you do not, you will kill the new one in short order. Has something to do with overcharging them as they do not hold the same charge if you do not replace them together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts