Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Batteries

6174 27
Hi, I read somewhere that Costco is the best place for a battery for a dodge 2500 diesel.

Advice?

thanks
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I have red tops and love them!!! No problems at all in the cold and can leave the music on for hours on end with no hesitation.

· Registered
607 Posts
Costco most likely has the best price. My brother just put costco batteries in his 07 last month, well see how they last...

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Lesson leraned:
Dont beleive everything you read :buttkick:
:agree2:

Costco probably doesn't make their own batteries anyway. It will be another company with a costco name on them. Exide(who isn't around anymore) and East Penn(NAPA) are great batteries.

If you arn't running a lot of electronics/winch like I am the high dollar batteries like Red Tops aren't really needed. Almost all batteries are priced about the same, it just depends on what you want. IMO don't go with the Vatozone Diehard crap. I haven't heard good things about those. Also, are batteries something you really want to try and cheap out on? Thats like running on your spare tire all the time just because it's a tire.

· Registered
94 Posts
actually I think it is either costco or sams have the best price on optima red top !!! at least here in the Dallas,TX area

· Registered
1,409 Posts
I was looking at batteries too recently. If you want a better battery then Sears has one that is a re-branded Odyssey. I think it's a platinum series. It's a AGM type battery, so it can take a lot of abuse.

· Registered
356 Posts

· Registered
607 Posts
I was looking at batteries too recently. If you want a better battery then Sears has one that is a re-branded Odyssey. I think it's a platinum series. It's a AGM type battery, so it can take a lot of abuse.
X2 Sears die hard platinum batteries are one of the best batteries on the market

· Gone Fishin'
585 Posts
how many cold cranking amps do the costco batteries have? Thats one of the most important things to keep in mind.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Heard alot of good about the Sears batterys, havent needed to replace mine yet but when I do I will be going with the Sears/Odyssey brand. Pretty sure someone had info from Consumer Reports on here backing that claim as well.

· Registered
199 Posts
Johnson controls makes batts for costco and interstate and Les schawbs,sears,autozone(out of mexico) shucks, napa west of the Miss.. some of walmart Everycar maker in the world . Are made to there specs ANd optima's also! and i know i am forgetting one or two. exide is still building batt. There are some good battety companies out there. I just don't remember some of them.

· Registered
460 Posts
how many cold cranking amps do the costco batteries have? Thats one of the most important things to keep in mind.
850..I think the stockers only have 750 if I remember correctly. I paid less for two of the Costco batteries than I would have for one of the Die Hard Platinums. I was originally going to get the Diehards until I saw the Costco price.

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
How long do the optima red tops last? I'm really apprehensive to pay $500 for batteries.
$500?????? Where the heck did you get that number! :confused013:

I got a small discount at NAPA but I was out the door for about $320.

They have 3year full replacement because they are "heavy duty/racing batteries". Not as good as the 75month NAPA batteries but I have had people come in with 6year old red tops.

· Registered
48 Posts
+ 1 for Interstate. I bought my 05 new in Feb of 06 and just replaced the batteries with Interstate MTP 65 @ $92.00 each. The OEMs were working fine but with pushing over 5 years I decided to trade. I kept them for the tractors and turned in two other old cores. Interstate has served me well for my normal useage. I use an aux battery when I winch.

· Premium Member
792 Posts
the Costco batteries around here are Kirkland, and they are half the weight of any other battery i have seen in the size we need. i think if the battery feels light, then it just that. i have run yellow tops in the past on a few different trucks, with good luck, but they are not as good as they once were, hey i think thats a song.
anyway, interstate are good, heck they must be, they have a Nascar sticker on them!!
the sears ones are really good too, you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.