Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my 2001 CTD last Thursday before going out of town for a week. This morning both batteries are deader than a doornail - 0.4 Volts on each battery. I did not have time to attempt much diagnosis this morning because I had to leave for work, but something has to be drawing the batteries down. I've left this truck for much longer than a week between starts before with never an issue. The Interstate batteries were brand new in September 2007, so they are only 9 months old.

I expect that this is either a broken switch (door jamb dome light switch, or brake stop lamp switch), or a short to ground issue. I did verify that the neither the headlights/running lights or dome light switches were left on.

I plan to put the battery charger on overnight and start looking in the morning. But before I start my wild goose chase, I thought that I would ask here if there is a common culprit for this problem on these trucks. I couldn't find anything with a search.

Thanks for your help!

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
I would bet on one battery shorted internally and it is killing the second one. I would guess you need to new ones. If you are going to do the charger thing overnight seperate the batteries from each other. See if one is good and the other is bad. most often the ones goes and ruins the second one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that I found the problem. My underhood lamp became detached from the bracket on the hood. When the hood closed, the lamp hung from the wire harness and dropped right in front of the master cylinder - hanging straight down. I stayed vertical, so the mercury switch never turned the lamp off.

I recharged the batteries all night and it started right up. I'll drive it some today to get a good deep charge and hopefully the batteries are OK.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Good work, sounds like you got lucky!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've got that right! I thought I'd be chasing this thing down all day. I'd rather be lucky than good any day. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts