Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Batt Connections

900 7
So I've got a few add-ons to my truck - like most of us do...

The latest addition is going to be a combination voltmeter/ ammeter. I'll be adding more later and want to keep track of how much current I'm drawing. A push button switches between the two functions.
Connecting the voltmeter is easy..Common to ground and + to -duh - the positive terminal....

Now the fun :
I want to be able to read total current - except the starter...
The positive terminal looks like the thumbnail.

The BIG RED wire is obviously going to the starter. I can't find the others...
There are two black fusible links coming off the tightening bolt, the other red wires are my additions. Also coming out of the end of the terminal on the right side of the pic are a red wire, a black wire with a connector ( on the right side about the middle - I almost cut it off ) and toward the bottom just a little left of the corner is another connector that that has a red and black wire ...
On top of the batt is the 200 amp shunt I'll be connecting in series with ALL the wires except the red to the starter...

I think the larger black wire with the connector goes to the alternator, at least the 3 diagrams I've found that refer to the battery show the red to the starter and a black wire to the alternator.
Any help identifying the others ???

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Those two black wires from the terminal bolt are grid heater feed wires.

The large black cable out of the terminal itself is Alt feed like you think it is.

The red wire coming off the battery is a power feed. I'll look in the manual to see where it goes.

The brown wire coming out of the weather pack connector is starter.

· Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Philip...
I thought the black wires were for the grid...Since I'm using them as taps for my headlight relays I'll prob swap them also.

OOPS !!
I don't have a brown wire...Could that be black ? Like the one in the center right side of the pic? If so, I suspected that was the starter relay but wasn't sure...That one goes also.

What about the red and black pair? Any ideas?

· Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:CRY::CRY:
Don't know how I got the message duplicated!!

Anyway - :butt: That's where my head should be...
The pair of wires is actually red and BROWN :butt:

So - that takes care of that. I followed the wires for a short ways and will not move those wires.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
That one we called red is pink on the wiring diagrams. It is a direct feed to the 4 way flashers. The brown wire in the same plug is starter.

· Premium Member
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad news...
First I've been tightening and loosening the terminal so much removing wires and replacing wires that the positive battery terminal cracked ! Where the bolt goes through the holes..
Oh well, the terminals, wires, and connections look like they're original...13 yrs old, it's about time they broke.
Second - darn meter needs the shunt mounted in the negative terminal !
All that work and it was on the wrong terminal - and the wrong size...I can see me starting the truck with a 200A shunt in the circuit --- poof!
So all is on hold until tomorrow when I can get a new batt terminal.

And - does anyone know what the current draw is on our starter ? Assuming it doesn't stall . Shouldn't be much more than 600 or 700A...Or I am too high ?

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Your high on that guess. I did a current draw test on my starter years ago. With the fuel solenoid unhooked it pulled 375 amps full load spinning the engine.

If I remember right the grid heaters pull around 50 amps.

· 1ST GEN
11,549 Posts
Larry I was just digging around in the FSM and happened to run across the rated starter AMPs. It says 450-550 AMPs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.