Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Banks torque converter installed 2 days ago now - Tuesday. I have a lot of mods on my truck: Superchips programmer, Silverline 4" exhaust, Silencer ring MIA, AFE magnum force CAI, and Banks Hi- ram intake manifold, techni-cooler and now torque converter! At first I was disappointed, I expected a huge speed increase but it wasn't there. My truck however, just felt better all around. My engine braking is incredible, I'm using my service brakes a lot less. My acceleration is getting better day to day and my truck just feels smoother all around. I'm not sure but iit feels like something you have to break in. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I cant see it getting better with time unless your truck is a fine wine. LOL. But i will tell you that a convertor with the right stall makes a big differance on the feel of power to the ground, just more responsive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The salesman at banks sold me a bill of goods. Told me the torque converter would fix the slippage I'm feeling and I wouldn't need a rebuild for a long time - if at all. The truck feels much stronger but definitely still slips. Anyone else have their tranny rebuilt yet?

·
Registered
382 Posts
thats banks for ya...

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Goerend torque converter/trans was the best thing I did with my truck. There was no doubt that the trans was HIGHLY improved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think there's a Goerend installation/dealer near my place in so cal. I need to upgrade my valve body and get my trans rebuilt. Anybody know any reputable places in So cal?

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
The salesman at banks sold me a bill of goods. Told me the torque converter would fix the slippage I'm feeling and I wouldn't need a rebuild for a long time - if at all. The truck feels much stronger but definitely still slips. Anyone else have their tranny rebuilt yet?
My buddy with a 2000 Ford 7.3 paid big bucks for his 100+ rwhp Powerpack. It sucked big time. I could kill him with the EZ and Mach 1.6's in my '99. Comparing a DTT TC(which I had)to his Banks was like comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i must that that banks is not my fisrt choice for anything...they sacrifice alot on their performance parts to keep the smoke off..but at far as transmissions go i dont think its ever a good idea to go to the sellout companies where all they have to go by is their name..is there any kind of satisfaction guarantee?

you could say you were lied to about correcting the slippage and hopefully you can get somewhere

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think there's a Goerend installation/dealer near my place in so cal. I need to upgrade my valve body and get my trans rebuilt. Anybody know any reputable places in So cal?
You've got a couple options. you could contact Dave Goerend here- call him up or email him, he's a great guy: Goerend Transmission Incorporated
He should be able to get you hooked up with an installer- my brother is out in North Carolina and just decided to do it himself (truck enthusiast- not a diesel mechanic); so any trans shop should be able to install his parts in your truck. If he doesn't have an installer down there, maybe he can get you a referral. You could also drive all the way up to Riverdale (3hrs North of LA area) and visit Brown's Diesel- great shop, he's done the work on my transmission. You could also ask him if he's got anyone he could recommend in SoCal if you can't make the trip! Browns Diesel

Wave if you see me, I'll be down in Riverside this weekend! :peelout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts