Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 278 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I bought mine a couple of years ago, but Drivetrain America shows it on back order, I will pull the Mopar PN off of the box tomorrow. Quirk Parts or Tasca is where I got it from.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
They use to be about $100 till people started buying them then the prices shot up just a bit.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Quote:
First off, Mag Hytec does NOT specify in their directions to overfill. The added capacity Gales referring to is because of the extra room the aftermarket covers can offer. So for him to throw MH under the bus I felt was bad ethics...

The overfill statement is not correct, at least in my case. I have the MH for my 2500 and the MH dipstick still reads a little
under the low mark with 7.5 qts in it. I stopped adding cause I know I am way over stock fill. Directions say to fill over
the low line. I called MH and spoke to Dave. He has no answer other than if oil flows out the oil check level hole, then I am fine.

·
Bangin' through the gears
4,964 Posts
Well I'll be the first to jump off the ledge...so pause with the pitch forks and torches and hear me out.

My opinion is, I am very disappointed in Gales "technical" assessments of aftermarket differential covers in his latest video. That being Mag Hytec since no others were even mentioned. Actually I thought his "testing" was incredibly incomplete as he threw out a lot of speculation and conjecture with no data to support any of it other than a see through view.

First off, Mag Hytec does NOT specify in their directions to overfill. The added capacity Gales referring to is because of the extra room the aftermarket covers can offer. So for him to throw MH under the bus I felt was bad ethics...

Also, maybe he forgot that in his last video with the plastic curved cover we got to see how the fluid moved about. And if you watch both videos back to back / side by side, you can see that the fluids in both covers do the EXACT same thing. It moves about the same, it aerates the same, and it sloshes about the same. Well actually I thought the MH cover didnt aerate as much as the curved cover.

The only real difference I noticed is the round cover didnt have any mood lighting. Not to mention that he started the MH cover test ideo with much slower speeds to show the sloshing, whereby he didnt do that in the curved cover video.

All that said, (and I dont mean to seem like I'm picking on Gale) the one thing he clearly didnt test, which is the main reason for adding an aftermarket diff cover (next to bling factor) is any reduction of fluid temperatures through capacity and dissipation. He also didnt bother to offer any testing on the resistance of fluid "work" which he claims is taking place by the fluid hitting any flat surfaces.

So...point being, I think Gale better step up the testing with some good solid results showing heat comparisons and fluid resistance comparisons. All of which cant be refuted in any way either, otherwise this is one big waste of time. :thumbup:
Sounds like someone is mad they spent money on a cover that you thought was superior but turns out hinders performance...

R.K.
That is what you came up with after reading KATOOM's well thought out post? Some of you probably need to wipe GB off your chin....... :drama:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That is what you came up with after reading KATOOM's well thought out post? Some of you probably need to wipe GB off your chin....... :drama:
Took it there, eh?...let me insult them with with a sexually derogatory remark...I will admit I was stirring the pot a little with my post above, but no need to go "there."

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Back to diff covers...I will be curious to see if Banks tests the AAM finned cover, it is advertised to drop gear oil temps 35-40 degrees F, that is pretty impressive if true.

Only issue for the 2500 crowd is it can interfer with the sway bar under certain conditions.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, I looked at the box this morning...Mopar part number has rolled to "AD" and not the good deal it used to be, I have seen the AAM packaged part for as little as $175 on the web...guess I bought at the right time!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Have you even watched any of the Banks videos on this topic? I'm going to assume no... I'm guessing the OP is in the same boat as you because he is testing temperatures and dissipation of heat.

R.K.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
You must not have watched video part 1&2 yet...this is video 2.2 or 2.3...don't remember what he said, data is coming in future video...no doubt he is playing this for all it is worth, but the data won't lie. I personally think the best cover is the AAM finned cover....shipped directly to my front door for less $100 with new reusable gasket and fasteners...
I've watched them all...and I'm waiting patiently for the "data". And for this kinda build up, it better be good.

Sounds like someone is mad they spent money on a cover that you thought was superior but turns out hinders performance...

R.K.
Wow... Even though there's nothing to support your assessment, you feel its appropriate to make that claim??? I guess marketing is more powerful than I thought...

Back to diff covers...I will be curious to see if Banks tests the AAM finned cover, it is advertised to drop gear oil temps 35-40 degrees F, that is pretty impressive if true.

Only issue for the 2500 crowd is it can interfer with the sway bar under certain conditions.
I have no idea what cover is "best" so no argument from me there. I was kinda hopping that Gale would get to the technical discussion that matters. But nonetheless, I am curious as to who or what company advertises a 35-40* reduction in temperature???

Quote:

The overfill statement is not correct, at least in my case. I have the MH for my 2500 and the MH dipstick still reads a little
under the low mark with 7.5 qts in it. I stopped adding cause I know I am way over stock fill. Directions say to fill over
the low line. I called MH and spoke to Dave. He has no answer other than if oil flows out the oil check level hole, then I am fine.
Since your signature isnt filled out I can only guess you have an AAM axle. Of the MH directions, there is nothing which states to overfill. The cover should even have a 1/8 plug so you can achieve correct fill levels without the dipstick. The volume you poured in is irrelevant since the cover is already larger which will obviously hold more fluid than the factory fill capacity.

Have you even watched any of the Banks videos on this topic? I'm going to assume no... I'm guessing the OP is in the same boat as you because he is testing temperatures and dissipation of heat.

R.K.
Thats the complaint if you havent been following... We're 4 videos in with Gale self promoting his new up and coming product while bashing other companies BUT with ZERO data other than what he "thinks". How would you feel about buying a tuner or injectors if the companys marketing ad stated nothing but, "we dont like how those other ones look so we made ours different"...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've watched them all...and I'm waiting patiently for the "data". And for this kinda build up, it better be good.

Wow... Even though there's nothing to support your assessment, you feel its appropriate to make that claim??? I guess marketing is more powerful than I thought...

I have no idea what cover is "best" so no argument from me there. I was kinda hopping that Gale would get to the technical discussion that matters. But nonetheless, I am curious as to who or what company advertises a 35-40* reduction in temperature???

Since your signature isnt filled out I can only guess you have an AAM axle. Of the MH directions, there is nothing which states to overfill. The cover should even have a 1/8 plug so you can achieve correct fill levels without the dipstick. The volume you poured in is irrelevant since the cover is already larger which will obviously hold more fluid than the factory fill capacity.

Thats the complaint if you havent been following... We're 4 videos in with Gale self promoting his new up and coming product while bashing other companies BUT with ZERO data other than what he "thinks". How would you feel about buying a tuner or injectors if the companys marketing ad stated nothing but, "we dont like how those other ones look so we made ours different"...
Right there on the Drivetrain American webpage... 35-40 degrees

Reactions: KATOOM

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Right there on the Drivetrain American webpage... 35-40 degrees
Interesting..... I wonder if AAM or Dodge has anything to support this claim. Or is DTA simply skating the boundaries of false advertising. Not sure...but it would sure be nice to see something support this.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Interesting..... I wonder if AAM or Dodge has anything to support this claim. Or is DTA simply skating the boundaries of false advertising. Not sure...but it would sure be nice to see something support this.
That is why I am wondering if Banks will test it, I'd like to see some data too.

·
Registered
13,360 Posts
I strongly suspect that there was testing done. Why else would a more (probably substantially more) expensive cover be used in certain applications?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess I will post this as a point of reference. About a month before this Banks video series on differential covers, I bought a AAM finned cover to replace the factory 11.5" steel cover on my 2018 2500.

I have a small hand held FLIR TG165 thermal camera and decided to take a thermal picture of a before and after when I installed the AAM cover. Attached is a thermal photo with both taken after my normal 50 mile highway drive home from work. The left side of the picture shows the stock steel cover with the factory fill 75W-85. The right side shows the AAM cover with Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 gear oil.

Surface temp at a minimum shows at least around a 20 degree drop in outside surface temp with the AAM cover and probably does drop the internal gear oil temp the advertised 35-40 degree.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I guess I will post this as a point of reference. About a month before this Banks video series on differential covers, I bought a AAM finned cover to replace the factory 11.5" steel cover on my 2018 2500.

I have a small hand held FLIR TG165 thermal camera and decided to take a thermal picture of a before and after when I installed the AAM cover. Attached is a thermal photo with both taken after my normal 50 mile highway drive home from work. The left side of the picture shows the stock steel cover with the factory fill 75W-85. The right side shows the AAM cover with Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 gear oil.

Surface temp at a minimum shows at least around a 20 degree drop in outside surface temp with the AAM cover and probably does drop the internal gear oil temp the advertised 35-40 degree.

Interesting pictures... I'm wondering why the center of the finned cover is cooler than the rest.

Also, just to point out that the fluid temperature and the surface temperature are going to be almost exactly the same. At least this is what I've found out with my transmission and differential, as I have a gauge on both and I've checked surface readings with a laser temp tool in comparison to what the fluid temps are. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting pictures... I'm wondering why the center of the finned cover is cooler than the rest.

Also, just to point out that the fluid temperature and the surface temperature are going to be almost exactly the same. At least this is what I've found out with my transmission and differential, as I have a gauge on both and I've checked surface readings with a laser temp tool in comparison to what the fluid temps are. :thumbup:
That area has a lower fin height to almost smooth and is above the fluid fill line. I suspect the red hot spot areas where the fins are more prevalent is the aluminum material heat sinking and wicking away the temperature more than in the center above the fill line. Not a expert in thermal dynamics but just my rough guess as to what is happening.

Not making any claim to accuracy, just posting what I did and seems relevant to the current discussion.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That area has a lower fin height to almost smooth and is above the fluid fill line. I suspect the red hot spot areas where the fins are more prevalent is the aluminum material heat sinking and wicking away the temperature more than in the center above the fill line. Not a expert in thermal dynamics but just my rough guess as to what is happening.

Not making any claim to accuracy, just posting what I did and seems relevant to the current discussion.
Definitely a good reference point of information.

Reactions: Hootbro

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Kind of annoyed with his commentary on the videos.

First, he is pointing out is the aeration of the fluid (or trapping of air bubbles in the fluid). It looked the same for both from a color and observation. Not to mention the fact that gear lube will generally aerate more when cold and once it heats up to normal operating temps it doesnt trap as much air.

Second, when he is talking about the fluid riding up on the back side of the cover causing work or whatever he was saying, it was doing the same thing with the stock looking cover he just didnt point it out on that video.

Third, with the stock cover he seemed concerned or pointed out at low speeds the oil wasnt going to the axle tube however in the flat back he comments that it is going to the axle tube and seemed to me that he was suggesting that wasnt good. Not really sure what hes trying to convey on that matter.

Fourth, it seems that at high speeds the fluid is still "riding" the ring gear and components like it should with a rotating gear assembly partially submerged in gear oil would do. The gears are going to carry the required fluid as long as they are the correct size and submerged in the required amount of fluid and that fluid has the proper characteristics to do the job.

And yes I have a after market PML cover which is more of a cross between a flat back and the stock style cover for the rear, the fronts are same pattern/design just with aluminum and finned. Has lasted for about 60k miles without issue and I have no intention of putting stock back on or purchasing a different aftermarket. I guess you could say I have no dog in the fight. I just wish he would do some actual data recording with some no kidding comparisons of different covers and different materials. These videos just seem like the attach the leash and lead the followers down his path type of research. There are already people linking his videos saying the after market covers are junk and dont work without even getting any actual no kidding factual data except for the view of the cold fluid inside of two covers.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Oh and while on the subject. I was thinking why doesnt he contact the manufacturer of the test fluid and find out what the no kidding actual preferred operating temperature band is, also the low and high temps that are considered "bad". For example say fluid X has a normal operating band of 150-300F for normal use with a red line of 375F. Then test a few covers to see what temperature each is producing in similar conditions empty and pulling say a 75% load. Would not be that hard to do. Set up a driving route, warm up the fluid with one cover for say a half hour drive unloaded. Drive the predetermined course unloaded recording temps, hook up trailer and do course recording temps. Swap out the cover and repeat.

That would be more interesting (to me atleast) then the ooooh ahhhh of the plexy glass cover which reminds me of those little hand operated gears they use to have at Napa with the different oils in them.

41 - 60 of 278 Posts