Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
13,360 Posts
Either folks live in dry climates or they just haven't found the water behind the rear seat sound deadening material yet.
That's why I removed the rear seat in my '10...and then added sound deadening since there wasn't any.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Some things you just have to fix yourself. I would rather spend $5 on a tube of silicone that go to the dealer 5 times!!
Fixing yourself voids any future warranty on the leak. By not fixing it myself I was well paid by FCA. If you got what I got back from FCA you would be ok with the leak. It's now siliconed as its no longer under warranty.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You obviously do not know many engineers :smile2:

I'd like to have some choice words with the engineer or management that design the 3rd brake light seal. I've had 5 replaced and they all leak. I'm convinced 9/10 trucks leak water in the cabs. Either folks live in dry climates or they just haven't found the water behind the rear seat sound deadening material yet.

I fixed mine the way we fixed them at the body shops I used to work at. Use windshield urethane rope and mold it down real thin and put it all the way around the opening with the light removed and then re-install the light. Never leak again.

Reactions: Xokia

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,293 Posts
I used HD caulking. never. leak. again.

Actually, no. No i used weatherstripping on my 12. but would've been fun to use some nice beads of caulk to never have to worry about it again

Now i'm waiting for mike to see this post

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Fixing yourself voids any future warranty on the leak. By not fixing it myself I was well paid by FCA. If you got what I got back from FCA you would be ok with the leak. It's now siliconed as its no longer under warranty.
If it was fixed proper the first time it wouldn't need to have been fixed again. But I'd rather have stuff right vs get what I can get for living with a problem.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
If it was fixed proper the first time it wouldn't need to have been fixed again. But I'd rather have stuff right vs get what I can get for living with a problem.
5 times has me convinced there is no proper fix from Ram. The last one I pulled off the seal squeezed out water like a sponge. I have no complaints. If I got the same deal every time I'd buy a leaking truck every couple years.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Maybe Banks has a leaking 3rd brake light solution too...

·
Registered
13,360 Posts
Ah, now I remember why mine isn't leaking. I "forgot" to order the third brake light.

·
6,293 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Ah, now I remember why mine isn't leaking. I "forgot" to order the third brake light.
Yeah.......but dammmmmmittttttt, that 3rd Brake Light Delete Kit that RAM uses on the Cab & Chassis trucks has gotta leak, too... :grin2:

·
Registered
13,360 Posts
Yeah.......but dammmmmmittttttt, that 3rd Brake Light Delete Kit that RAM uses on the Cab & Chassis trucks has gotta leak, too... :grin2:
Not mine. Not yet anyway.
But I could let a dealer take a look at it. Then it probably would.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Pulling this back on track a touch, I almost ended up ordering one, but then realized it's really not worth the $$$.

·
6,293 Posts
well yeah, it's not like there's a lot to do when you are sitting at the dealership in the waiting room for them to replace your third brake light to stop the leak, meanwhile they are doing nothing new with it so you know you'll be back in a few weeks anyways.....

261 - 278 of 278 Posts