Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

201 - 220 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I kinda thought the poor data banks presented was enough. It doesnt really show anything conclusive one way or the other. I'm not armchair engineering squat. I have been arguing that the data presented is pretty much pure bs. Nothing more nothing less.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
I will say, a little disappointed he didn't compare against the AAM finned cover, or at least publish the results if he did. But again, he is a business man and engineer, not a scientist (a scientist would publish all the results....climate scientists excluded).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Odd how some of his internal design features are so similar to the AAM OE cover....
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/879890-11-8-300mm-aam-rear-axle-fluid-change.html

Reactions: 6401nohl

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is pretty interesting. The design is very similar save for the amount of internal fins and center internal fins. Personally I enjoyed the serie, but everyone has to watch for marketing traps. The most interesting part was the clear diffs.

Thanks for the photos,
W.T.F.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I dont know how many times I have to post this...but let me try again and see if someone reads it this time.

I can without a doubt call Gale out for not only being wrong but slanderously wrong as he interjects false claims about his competition using tricky marketing semantics.

Or...is my real world testing not good enough because I didnt use a Mustang dynamometer.
I think folks read just fine you are stuck in your own mind. I think folks have come to the realization you have a hard on for banks so just gloss over what you write.

What exactly did bank claim that you are claiming in BS? Banks shows the hypertech reducing temps just not as much as his. What did he say that you do not agree with? Quote banks dont just make wide sweeping claims of BS. Put in words what you disagree with

Agreed...but dont you find it interesting how Gale didnt show any video footage of what the fluid looked like (or sounded like) churning around in his new diff cover? Maybe because it would look and sound exactly the same... All gear lube gets whipped around inside a differential.

Take a look at these two YouTube videos of people running clear diff covers. Looks just like milkshake Gale Banks claims only happens in the "flat backs"...
I really think it doesn't matter what banks presented nothing would prove anything to you if it came from banks. In a prior video there was a series of these banks measured the aeration in a cylinder beaker. He also measured the aeration of the stock. If I recall correctly he classifies all the flat backs the same and the curved units the same as far as aeration is concerned.

Somewhere there was a video of him measuring that aeration cant find it now but this one shows a quick shot of it 7:29. Showing whipped around differential oil is of little use if you have no way to measure it. You could argue the aeration is meaningless without wear data. I don't recall Banks making a claim that it increased wear though.
https://youtu.be/9-yG3D3JBRs?list=PLwtmrqcWzLtRdv9XAlV1l7NBnQfGU1mi1

Odd how some of his internal design features are so similar to the AAM OE cover....
Since AAM is an axle manufacturer I'm going to take a guess that they know what they are doing in order to keep their axles alive to the designed spec. Does not surprise me at all that he took cues from them.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
At the top of the 550 second hill climb, running the 3.9 quart stock differential cover, the lubricant temp was 205°. Filled with 7.5 quarts, the Mag-Hytec recorded 199° while the Banks filled with 4 quarts recorded 192.5°. Even with less lubricant, the Ram-Air cover controlled heat 2X better than the flat-back during the high horsepower hill climb!

From the crest to the end of the test, running 55 mph for 700 second at relatively constant elevation, the stock cover cooled from 205° to 195°. The Mag-Hytec cooled to 192.5° and 178.5° for Banks, a 5X improvement over the Mag-Hytec and by extension all other flat-back copies

Straight from the site.

Your 2x cooler is 6 more degrees.

The 5x faster cool down is an extra 14f.

Also note the last sentence.

The equivalent of 60 MPH road speed air was directed under the truck’s belly using the Banks Wind Machine, aided by additional shop fans. Air damns were constructed to contain the airflow under the truck toward the rear differential.

At the end of the 60 minutes test, the lubrication temp was 289°, AFE was 261° or 28° cooler than stock. Banks was 228° or 61° less than stock. Banks outcooled AFE by 118% and by extension, all flatback covers

This test performed on a dyno is probably more accurate as it takes the driver out of the equation.

This time banks is 30f cooler than the afe. But no mention of the magtec this time. Where did it actually rank. Again note the last sentence...

When you are comparing multiple products fairly all the results should be shown. Not by extension crap.

This thread is pure gold. By extension all threads are pure gold..

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I think folks read just fine you are stuck in your own mind. I think folks have come to the realization you have a hard on for banks so just gloss over what you write.

What exactly did bank claim that you are claiming in BS? Banks shows the hypertech reducing temps just not as much as his. What did he say that you do not agree with? Quote banks dont just make wide sweeping claims of BS. Put in words what you disagree with
I will agree with that... Facts dont seem to matter anymore as it appears emotions are most important. Especially if someone is willing to accept a mechanical data test which is clearly cherry picking results and never testing the same components from test to test.

And I stated everything I had a problem with Banks videos more than once. If someone really cares to know what I think then they can go back to post #133 where I pointed out what I thought was comically flawed in his scientific analysis. My feelings are not hurt though if no one cares...

I really think it doesn't matter what banks presented nothing would prove anything to you if it came from banks. In a prior video there was a series of these banks measured the aeration in a cylinder beaker. He also measured the aeration of the stock. If I recall correctly he classifies all the flat backs the same and the curved units the same as far as aeration is concerned.

Somewhere there was a video of him measuring that aeration cant find it now but this one shows a quick shot of it 7:29. Showing whipped around differential oil is of little use if you have no way to measure it. You could argue the aeration is meaningless without wear data. I don't recall Banks making a claim that it increased wear though.
Sad that you'd make the assumption that I cant be won over by Banks. I dont have a hard on for him...but rather I dont condone or appreciate his lack of professionalism on YouTube. Obviously I'm a stickler for facts and I love research. The multitude of Banks differential cover videos was nothing more than a middle of the night infomercial and I'm just sad so many people fell for it too...

I never said he was a dumb man either. His marketing team is brilliant...

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,257 Posts
Not to be all nit picky about one little thing, but he did claim that the aeration "works the fluid more" which could easily be interpreted as increased wear on the fluid. However without any kind of data, it's pure speculation. I Personally agree with him, however there is no data to back it up so it's hearsay.

Air damns were constructed to contain the airflow under the truck toward the rear differential.
I honestly kinda have a problem with this when trying to make real world data, what vehicle actually has air dams on the sides of the vehicle? If he wants data he should take some trucks to TFL truck and have them run loaded Ike Gauntlets on them to collect real world data. Because event the EPA has realized that dyno testing does not equate to true real world data, and when the government realizes a test is flawed, and admits more data is needed, that's kinda saying something.....

When you are comparing multiple products fairly all the results should be shown. Not by extension crap.
Why would Gale want to show all the data impartially when he can just show us what proves him right? so what if some of the data shows that his cover isn't the end all be all best. Marketing is about picking and choose data, not about making sure everything is out there.

I will agree with that... Facts dont seem to matter anymore as it appears emotions are most important. Especially if someone is willing to accept a mechanical data test which is clearly cherry picking results and never testing the same components from test to test.
sorry....couldn't resist posting this after your statement, just fits perfect because it's so true

And I stated everything I had a problem with Banks videos more than once. If someone really cares to know what I think then they can go back to post #133 where I pointed out what I thought was comically flawed in his scientific analysis. My feelings are not hurt though if no one cares...
The issue with this statement is Mr. Banks is producing a marketing scheme in the form of science, not science in the form of a marketing scheme. He is using data to justify a pre-existing conclusion and nit picking what data he wants to use, while not comparing the best comparisons. While there is some information to be learned from it, the biggest problem is to many people are thinking he took a non-biased scientific look into this. Which is false. He simply when through tests to prove his conclusion and is trying to convince everyone it is scientific. Because such science, such conclusion, must buy banks stuff

Sad that you'd make the assumption that I cant be won over by Banks. I dont have a hard on for him...but rather I dont condone or appreciate his lack of professionalism on YouTube. Obviously I'm a stickler for facts and I love research. The multitude of Banks differential cover videos was nothing more than a middle of the night infomercial and I'm just sad so many people fell for it too...

I never said he was a dumb man either. His marketing team is brilliant...
Yup. No arguments there. That's why his cover is twice the price as the AAM one that does the same job, AAM doesn't have a giant marketing team to pay off, he does.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've had 7 Dodge/Ram 2500 diesels. I've worked everyone and never had an aftermarket diff. cover.
Never had a diff/bearing issue on any of them. Service it and enjoy the stock factory cover. It's a good one >:)

·
6,257 Posts
I've had 7 Dodge/Ram 2500 diesels. I've worked everyone and never had an aftermarket diff. cover.
Never had a diff/bearing issue on any of them. Service it and enjoy the stock factory cover. It's a good one >:)
and on top of it, if you are looking to add the bling factor of having something that says banks on it, check out this option. Installs in seconds to a clean surface, for a fraction of the cost of a replacement cover, no fluid change neccesary

https://www.amazon.com/Banks-96009-Acrylic-Decal/dp/B005TR7QXI/ref=asc_df_B005TR7QXI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=321454241015&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2284102717255971619&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033787&hvtargid=aud-801657747996:pla-608859127861&psc=1

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
and on top of it, if you are looking to add the bling factor of having something that says banks on it, check out this option. Installs in seconds to a clean surface, for a fraction of the cost of a replacement cover, no fluid change neccesary
Since Banks has joined forces with AZZZZZZZZZZ/OIL, maybe one can get a retro-looking decal similar to the early AMZ/OIL days. @the man in black

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
This is all the scientific data we need Arrows are better then numbers and contain much more data per arrow then any number could.Wonder how much TQ and HP i will gain

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Loki really putting my superior special reading skills to the test with all that. I may not be an actual engineer but I did stay in a holiday inn last night. And by extension can understand marketing bs from facts.

GSB why do you have such a hard on for Amsoil? You're just blinded by it to really understand their koolaid is the best koolaid.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
After little to no thought I think Jimmy proved stock covers are junk by burning the paint of his. So by extension all stock covers are junk. Man I never knew science could be so easy.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
GSB why do you have such a hard on for Amsoil? You're just blinded by it to really understand their koolaid is the best koolaid.
There's this guy over on TDR that is minimally 90% Massengill.

He cheerleads AZZ/OIL at every opportunity, constantly force feeding all of the membership. I guarantee ya that if I offered him two turds, one for $2.99 and the other for $10.99, he’d take the $10.99 turd just because he is into what he perceives (then subsequently force feeds others) that everything more expensive has to be the best, particularly AZZ/OIL schitttttt. Your 3500 doesn’t have rear air? You’re a LOSER. Your 3500 isn’t a Longhorn? LOSER.....again. You’re not running an AS69RC with 4.10’s? LOSER....blah, blah, blah...the list goes on and on and on....

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Thanks GSB I'm not hip so I had to Google massengill.... glad that's in my history now. Still not sure if that's what it's meant to be but I'm not googling more.

·
6,257 Posts
Your 3500 isn’t a Longhorn? LOSER
Joke's on him, my 3500 is a limited. Nevermind that it was priced at bighorn, that's not important. The simple fact is he is now the loser for not having a limited 3500

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Joke's on him, my 3500 is a limited. Nevermind that it was priced at bighorn, that's not important. The simple fact is he is now the loser for not having a limited 3500
Yeah...but you’re SRW......LOSER !!! :na: j/k

·
6,257 Posts
Yeah...but you’re SRW......LOSER !!! :na: j/k
Yeah, because i got tired of buying 6 tires when i really only need 4. Ya'll dually guys are the real losers for how much you spend in rubber! :party018::buttkick::na::beer

201 - 220 of 278 Posts