Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im trying to talk my lil sister through doing here ball joints on her 01 2500 4x4 and I was wondering what you guys used to get the old ball joints out or if you have any tips for her thanks!

·
VP Moderator
12,068 Posts
You got to have the big "C" clamp and some home made spacers. The ones in kit are off enough to not be usable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cusswords, elbow grease, more cusswords, heat.....and did i mention cusswords. I used a press from autozone, a small torch and a cheater bar. These things are a pain but i got it to work. Heat and pressure are your friends.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I bought a ball joint press kit from Harbor Freight tools, it was around $50 and I did not expect much but it worked great, had the proper spacers and did I mention it was cheap. You will need some elbow grease too. The press is used to remove and to install the ball joints.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I second the HF spacer kit. Used it on my Jeep to do the ball joints and they had the correct angle spacers.........Although I still bent my c-clamp (which was HF), and to use the AutoZone loaner....seemed to be better quality and didn't bend.

I found that torquing the clamp down with a breaker bar, then give the top or bottom of the clamp (depending on which ball join you're trying to remove) a good wack or 2 with a BFH......It'll pop out and make ya poop ur pants! Thought a 357 went off in my garage! Going in is like a walk in the park.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
idk if yall have done it yet but an air chizel with a flat end on it pops it out in one motion. it works great and saves a bunch of time:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
idk if yall have done it yet but an air chizel with a flat end on it pops it out in one motion. it works great and saves a bunch of time:thumbsup:
Not all the time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts