Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what ball joints to get. I have ran 75,000 on stock and it is time to replace. I have looked at the Carli, they are a little more than what I am hoping to spend. What is a good replacement for the money?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stay away from Moogs. I had an independent replace the moogs that were in my truck and binding with factory BJs. I have read Carlis will alter the locations they sit to where you can't use any other kinds. Not knocking Carlis, they sound like a quality company.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Carli and dynatrac seem to be the 'best' out there.

I didnt have the coin so I have napa blue boots on my truck...we will see how long they last

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is anybody running XRF's. From what I am reading on other boards, it seems that for the money they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just bought a set on ebay. $229.00 with free shipping. Please let me know if anyone has any feed back on them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Stay away from Moogs. I had an independent replace the moogs that were in my truck and binding with factory BJs. I have read Carlis will alter the locations they sit to where you can't use any other kinds. Not knocking Carlis, they sound like a quality company.
Where did you read it and what do you mean by alter the locations they sit?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure if it was here or dieseltruckresource. Something about when removed, the hole is bigger. This was a few months ago when I was looking into replacing mine. Now i may have misspoke about the brand. It could have been XRF now that I think about it. If I am incorrect, I am sorry, but I do know it was an aftermarket brand and one could not return to OEM after use.

After a bit of checking, it was dieseltruck resource and it was the XRFs. Sorry for the incorrect information.

"A few guys have said the joints are very tight, and I remember reading that after using XRF joints, other joints fit too loose in the knuckles. Do a search the thread might pop up with that info in it."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen anything regarding this. I will let you guys know how they look when I get them

·
Registered
382 Posts
I replaced all four of mine with XRF's about 5k ago. Seemed like a good joint. Can't tell how long they'll last yet though. They slid in fine on my truck. Toss 'em in the freezer for a day before you put them in and they'll shrink a tad to help in pressing them in. Just make sure you take out the rubber boot from the lowers before tossing them in the freezer. I made that mistake and had to sit them in front of the heater for a while to be able to put them on. Do a search in the 3rd gen section for XRF and there are several threads with people having good luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my joints today, I am hoping they are the right ones. I guess that is the downside of ebay. They do not have grease zerks either, I was under the impression that the lower joints were greasable.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I got my joints today, I am hoping they are the right ones. I guess that is the downside of ebay. They do not have grease zerks either, I was under the impression that the lower joints were greasable.
When I got mine the boxes and the plastic bags the joints were sealed in had part numbers on them.

•2- K7460 Upper ball joints - Sealed/non greasable

•2- K7467 Lower ball joints - Sealed/non greasable

From: XRF Dodge Ram 2500 3500 Ball Joint Rebuild Kit 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those part numbers match what I got. I had read somewhere that the lowers were greasable. Did you pump grease into the seal before you slid it up?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
They might not have a zert on them but you can always add some through the boot with a needle. It doesn't work as good as a zert mounted at the bottom of the socket, but it will extend the life of them. Fill the rubber full of grease before you install and don't worry if you squish out some extra when installing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts