Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry Guys, I know there has been a lot of post on here about ball joints (I just searched thru a ton of them). I searched thru the posts and couldn't find a post for my problem. My issue is, I need to replace the ball joints on my passenger side (drivers side are still good) but I planned on replacing both driver and passenger side. I would love to replace them with Carli's but I just don't have that much money at the moment to do so. I found a write up about ball joints for Rams when doing some investigation about how different manufacturers actually make the diameter of the ball joints larger than OEM. It depends on the manufacturer. One, I think it was Duralast was actually 9 thousands larger than the Mopar BJ. Some have knurling as well. If you use the BJ's that are larger then you are kinda stuck with that brand the next time or you have new "C's" installed on your axel or have a lot of machining done. My plan was to just replace them with Mopar parts for now and eventually install Carli's later on. I found out that the lowers made by Mopar are kinda scarce as well (or you pay $175 a piece). I managed to get one set of upper and lower from RockAuto at a decent price. I am waiting on them to restock to order a second set.

Today, I started to replace the passenger side since they are the side that is bad. I get the wheel off and find that the previous owner has already replaced the BJ's once. The reason I know this is because the BJ's have grease zerks and Mopar's do not. I didn't get a chance to remove the BJ's because I didn't have an socket large enough for the axel nut. I had to order it. This really changes my plans though. I guess I'm stuck with removing the BJ's and measuring them and trying to find BJ's that are the same size as the ones I remove? Are there other options that I'm just not thinking of?

Here is the links that I found about oversized ball joints.
Which Dodge Ram Ball Joint Should You Buy? - Geno's Garage

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I bought EMF ball joints and have been happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bad V2

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
EMF for sure.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Do EMF and you'll never have to press them out again unlike the Carlis where you may have too. Plus the price is nicer.

I just installed a set on my truck a few months back and they are very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
EMF.

If you clean up the ball joints, it usually becomes obvious which brand they are. Part numbers tend to show up as well. So inspect for that.

EMF makes oversize and standard joints, so choose wisely. Either way, you wont ever have to press them out again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I also bought EMF ball joints, got them from CJC offroad. Genos garage has a good article on ball joints.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The way to go .

Never the less i have installed a few others , never really had any oversize or under size issues . With taking out OEM ,, and Taking out who knows what brand knerled ball joints .

I know you want to be 100% prepaired for the job at hand ,, but you may be worrying about it for nothing .

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
645 Posts
Do EMF and you'll never have to press them out again unlike the Carlis where you may have too. Plus the price is nicer.

Carli Extreme Duty Ball Joints can be serviced w/o removal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. The advice is appreciated. I have talked to a couple shops and I’ve decided To go with EMF.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

You can only replace the pin correct as the body has a built in race? So they are only partially serviceable.

The EMF you can replace the pin and the race.

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You can only replace the pin correct as the body has a built in race? So they are only partially serviceable.

The EMF you can replace the pin and the race.

https://carlisuspension.com/product/dodge/dodge-ram-2500-3500/ram-components/03-09-components/dodge-2003-2013-ball-joints/
Just proves my point. Carli even states at the bottom once a certain amount of play happens they need replaced.

Statement still stands, EMF never need pressed out/in again. Carli may.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Just proves my point. Carli even states at the bottom once a certain amount of play happens they need replaced.

Statement still stands, EMF never need pressed out/in again. Carli may.
This. Exactly the reason I went EMF. Best choice IMO. Plus, when they start to wear, you back off the cap set screw and snug the cap down, re-set the screw. They are good again. The internals only need replacing when that top cap play adjustment doesn't do anything anymore. Better engineering, lower cost, win-win for us.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
No if ball joint ever fails, you video play, Carli takes cc info just in case their inspection finds something, and they send you complete new one.
Caveat with 99 percent of Carli's never have to worry about it. Mine have 50k+ 8 years a lot of offroad miles no issues.

That being said $300US difference a lot of money, if I had option at the time, I personally would have done EMF.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
EMF.

If you clean up the ball joints, it usually becomes obvious which brand they are. Part numbers tend to show up as well. So inspect for that.

EMF makes oversize and standard joints, so choose wisely. Either way, you wont ever have to press them out again.

If I don't know which ones my truck currently has and want to just order the oversize ones to replace them with is there anything wrong with that? Basically is that a safe option without pressing out the ones I have to see if they are knurled or not?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
If I don't know which ones my truck currently has and want to just order the oversize ones to replace them with is there anything wrong with that? Basically is that a safe option without pressing out the ones I have to see if they are knurled or not?
When going to EMF, I dont see it as a problem because the body of the joint never needs to be removed again, so you wont need to worry about loose bores. If you dont know what you got, I'd say it's a good idea. The beat idea is ro buy both and return what you dont need. But not everyone has 1100 bucks to swing, even just for a couple weeks..

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
When going to EMF, I dont see it as a problem because the body of the joint never needs to be removed again, so you wont need to worry about loose bores. If you dont know what you got, I'd say it's a good idea. The beat idea is ro buy both and return what you dont need. But not everyone has 1100 bucks to swing, even just for a couple weeks..

I agree with the second statement about buying both sets and returning the one you don't use, just make sure you let EMF or the vendor know the situation you are in about not knowing what's currently in there and you can't let the truck be down. They're good about that.

First point though, there will be enough of a press fit difference between the undersized and oversized versions that you won't be able to press the oversized ones into an OEM size bore. Try and do this and you're likely going to do damage to the knuckle and likely break your BJ press. About .001" press fit interference is the MAX you want/can get away with.

Two stories for the OP

I bought a set of standard size ball joints from EMF not knowing what the PO had put in my truck. I purchased directly from EMF in Canada (at the time I did mine). I asked about the oversized version in case the PO had installed knurled joints and EMF told me that in the thousands they had sold at that point, only 2 or 3 truly needed their oversized joint. That was a while ago though so I'm sure there are more now. When I removed my old BJ's, they PO had installed knurled versions of garbage. I cleaned up the bore (there was hardly any material removed in the knuckle from the knurl) and test fitted the standard diameter BJ's and they had a light press fit going in. They were fine and luckily I didin't have any down time.

Second story, my good buddy who's got the same year truck as me, did the same thing (because of the unlikeliness of needing the oversized joint). When his were removed, they were knurled, but had done more damage (more material removed) to the knuckle bore, and when the bore was cleaned up, the standard sized were a slip fit in his bore which was not acceptable. He also couldn't have his truck down, so he contacted EMF, they called one of their California vendors, and the shop he was having the work done had the oversized version in hand the next morning for installation at no charge. He send the other ones back to EMF.

Stand up guys, quality products.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts